Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roland of Gilead - The Gunslinger

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
doc rob polycounter lvl 19
edit: I worked on the first images some based on critiques (I can't believe I didn't notice the neck!)

After a year or so of being a lead I realized I haven't really made any art at all and the folio was getting a bit thin. I've also been listening to the Dark Tower audio books by Stephen King over the last couple of months and have gotten into the characters.

My plan is to model, zbrush, texture (including normal, color spec and transparency maps), and maybe rig this character. To get started I did a concept illustration and a head study.

roland_illo2.jpg
rolandhead1.jpg

To those who have read the books, the illustration is of Roland tracking Jake and Gasher into the city of Lud.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    very cool man. i think i prefer the above shot for the head proportions, it looks a little unsteady on the neck... but nicely detailed. overall i really dig the low saturations on both pics--i don't know if i could have resisted tweaking both of those in levels/curves before saving them out in photoshop if it were me smile.gif

good to see you back posting. this has the makings of an excellent personal project.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome, I can't wait to see you progress this jimmy-ju-jank. And without me and Arsh, you won't have any distractions to keep you from it!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    very cool.. and i was just thinking the other day.. they have made games on all kinds of dumb movies, but will the game industry ever start making games about books? besides tom clansy, he dosent count..it would leave a lot more room for interpretation and imagination than a dumb ol movie franchise.. a bunch of stephen king books would make awesome games.. expecially runningman..
    looks good man, really has your style all over it..
    i want to see you model and texture some of those cool environment bits in the background too..
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    damn dude, i love it.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    sweet
    dark horizon did a model of him, check it out at his site www.horribledeath.com
    i got up to the third book, need to finish the series
    didachum didachak
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Nice man, I like the detail on the dips in his face.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very Rolandy smile.gif
    Model should be good!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I have been wanting to make a model of Roland; I'm only on the third book right now, but it's definitely one of my favorite book series already.

I like your concepts so far, but I liked the face and head in the first concept more than the study. He is supposed to look weathered, but I don't really imagine him quite as gaunt as he looks in the study of his face. I hope you keep the stylized proportions, though, I'm liking where you're going with it! Make sure to spend some time thinking out the guns, too, since they are so important and distinct.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    beautiful work- the top peice is the best of the 2 imo- it is how I imagined the Tick Tock Man's lair to look like.

One thing I would reccomend is to get some photos of stephen king and use some of his facial proportions. I won't spoil it for any one who hasn't read the series but it will make sense smile.gif

King has stated that Roland is the idealised version of himself in many respects and so it might be good to tie in some of the key proportions but make him less goofy looking smile.gif
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyMonkey polycounter lvl 17
    Looking forward to seeing it done. Sounds like a fun personal homework assignment.
  • Megamanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megamanex polycounter lvl 17
    Ha..nice sketches. I started on my own version of Roland a few weeks ago...its fun to see the similarities and differences.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly done with the high poly. I really enjoyed the zbrush work on this one. I feel like I've finally gotten the hang of that program.

Low poly is next, I'm going to try and rough it in with Polyboost.

rolandhi1.jpg
    rolandhi2.jpg

bah, there's an error with the normal map on the pants, I'll fix it later.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I like how this is turning out. The model has captured a sense of the paintings you did, like the hair and face. The shirt turned out really nice as well.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    this is really great stuff man i love this guy. Especially the face, the face is really cool, has a ton of character, looks like one hard ass mofo.

Zbrushing is also nice, I'm glad you finally got into it, my only crit would be that the zbrush detail feels more of what you would do with a bump map, but at such resolution you could use those polys to do alot more, like maybe sharpen some of the creases on the bottom of the pants, if you're going to texture this badboy, and I have a feeling you're going to do that (you should smile.gif) then I think this is pretty good and you could add more sharpness to it in the texture to avoid the zbrush blobby look.

really cool stuff smile.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dangggg! Doc Rob with the lid off!! nice stuff. glad to see you finally get into zbrush. i would like to see his holster making the cloth bunch up on his leg. i dont know if you zbrush each piece seperatly or did them all in one go. either way tho you can mask off the holster and zbrush the pants details, or you can add the holster to the pant zbrush tool using markers and edit it.

another trick if they are seperate chunks is auto assign uvs, export an obj. import into max with holster in place and use bodypaint or someother 3d paint program to paint in where the straps overlay the leg. apply that map in zbrush and use it as a guide for making your masks. then sculpt the fabric tucking under and spilling over where the straps are. i really like this dude, expecially the mass you got going on in the forarms and hands. i feel like he could crush a skull with those hands..
    bravo!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Yar, those are some huge mits he's got. Haven't you given him too many fingers? Or is this a 'before' Roland?

Either way, you've pretty much pinpointed how I saw him. Great stuff.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    That's HOT doc!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Dang dude, you managed to get your texturing style across in the zbrushing, that's the first I've seen something like that. Awesome job.

I'm with Arsh on the pants bunching, and Rockstar on the details.

I love that backpack!

poop.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    hands are kinda massive right?

take that meat and put it on his groin, poor man is hung like a hampster
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Wow! Well done, everything looks excellant, except for the pants (which you're probably still working on). You should give him a zipper like in the first concept.

Damn those hands are nice.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    im really impressed by this.. Just wanna say that those are the best zbrush folds ive seen yet on polycount smile.gif nj!

As far as crits concerned it looks like his belt gets wider just where the buckle is. Looks a bit weird if it wasnt intentional?
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    damm the wrinkles on the cloth looks awesome! Great detailing!. Looking forward to seeing this high model on a low mesh all textured laugh.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the comments. I agree with a lot of the comments on the pants: there's an error with the mapping of the normal map from zbrush that should account for most of that. On most of his body parts I exported a chunkier subd level from zbrush and baked a normal map with auto uvs to get the fine grain detail. Arsh, it's the same technique you used in that video tutorial a while back. The normal map is working on the head and shirt, but not on the legs. I'll try and repost the renders when I get a chance to fix it.

When I was working on the shirt I discovered using the Deco Brush in Projection Master, and it's how I learned to lose my tendency for blobbiness. I'm thinking about going back and redoing the hair now that I've got a better technique.

The hands are big. I'm trying to retain some of the stylization in this guy, and the big hands let him hold the massive guns (which are way larger than normal revolvers).

Sectaurs: yes, I've got to go and chop a couple of fingers off his right hand. There's a couple of other details to model and some tightening up to do as well.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice, very nice indeed.
    I'm digging the stylisation on the hands and face here, it works very well.
    The crotch area looks a bit weird, looks like it needs some deeper folds, and/or some sort of zip or button fly. Then again you said something was lost with the normalmap of the pants so maybe that's doing it.
    Head is maybe a tad smaller than I think suits this style, but that's your call. The shirt could do with some thickness and detail around the neckline.

I'm diggin' those revolvers. Kickass.

All round good work here. Keep it up smile.gif
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    awesome man, really sweet looking! Makes me wish I would have finished out the roland I was working on. Your's looks pretty much how I pictured him during The Drawing of the Three/The Wastelands (with a few extra fingers) be it slightly stylized which is cool. I like the big hands, leave em!
  • adam crockett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam crockett polycounter lvl 19
    wow, Nice! I really like his bag. All the details are great,the texture on his hands and hair, everything looks wonderful! Cant wait to see the textures.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye great work doc!
    i like your render colors too tongue.gif

i like the thick hands also, i think the thing with their size is simply inconsistantcy. the bones are real thick, and the skull, for example, is relatively thin. maybe if the shoulders were more broad it would make things more balanced.. he generally looks more well proportioned to me in your first painting (at the top)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This is just fantastic work. Im actually working on something vaguely similar (a western character).
    I agree with many of the existing comments. Sharper folds, on both the pants & the shirt. The shirt cuffs seem to clip into the arms on the back, thats weird. And yeah, the belts & such need to pinch the fabric, and it needs to billow out from that pinch.
    Some parts of the Pistol look a bit underdetailed. Some rivets or something would help with that. The shoulders could be made more muscular to help the believability of the forearms/hands.
    I really dig the sculpted hair!
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Make him look more like chuck norris.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, looking at the date I started this and the date now, anyone wondering why I didn't try and enter the Domination War can hopefully see why wink.gif

roland_texture_wip1.jpg

I started texturing. I'm using J.I. Styles max viewport translucency shader - diffuse, spec, normal and translucency maps. I'm upping the translucency depth in order to soften the lighting. Instead of trying to create a realisitic fake SSS effect, I'm using the shader to stylize the lighting on the character. Everything, even metal, will have some translucency.

Styles, if your reading this, the shader rocks!!

Critiques are welcome, it gets hard to see bad areas after a while.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. I really like how this is going. Initially I didn't like the head mesh so much but now that it's textured, it works really well! Good job there.

One tiny nitpick - his irises don't seem circular? They appear to be stretched vertically a tiny bit.
  • J.I. Styles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J.I. Styles polycounter lvl 18
    certainly am reading this now! Looking great, and using the shader to soften the light is definitely a good use. Should have sent me a mail ya monkey - seeing people use the shader gives me motivation to fix the bugs in it and introduce more cool features with MORE BUGS wink.gif

edit - oh and one other thing... max is a bitch when it comes to doing shadows in shaders, but it's something that really bugs me because it's just so obvious that it's missing... does anyone with shader authoring knowledge have any idea of a good way to go about doing shadows in shaders for max? I think it might just be one of those crap limitations since I haven't seen any working code for max that produces clean results.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    So many kinds of awesome Lucas. I love the style to this guy. The only thing that strikes me is that the wrinkles/crows feet on his weathered face suggest a man of some 40 years perhaps. Maybe a little less, even so, I think the hair could do with some sporadic greying to catch up in years with the face. Perhaps just the sideburns or something.
  • chico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chico polycounter lvl 17
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucas that is looking awesome. my only crit is that he dosent seem rugged enough in complection. kinda looks like a guy thats 40 that takes really really good care of his skin. like he just got done with some nutragena, oxycleaning. maybe make it a bit more leathery, worn. more stuble.. but then again i never read the book he is from, just from the concept i got this ruff and tumble kind of guy.

still looks awesome.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very very cool man, i love it. i used that shader too hehe

minor minor crit, teeth look sorta clean, with those bloodshot eyes and all u'd imagine his teeth looking a bit darker.

other than that its looking really awesome smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    loks very cool but i'm with arsh. you need a little of his gys face on him.

http://www.ufo-bg.com/Production_Stills/Graveland/DSC_0279.jpg
    http://www.vulkon.com/images/TonyAmendola.jpg
    Tony Amendola is great for really worn skin.

Also
    http://www.alanmercer.com/edwardjamesolmos.htm
    Has great skin as well.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, that's reference of acne scarring, not really skin-aging.

I always thought this shot of Eastwood was great ref. for that weatherbeaten 'spent a lifetime squinting out in the sun' look:

http://www.daz-art.com/eastwood.jpg
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daz that photo is the shit, what other good refs are you hiding from us.. give it up now.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL i'm with arsh thats really pimp, you better have more cool shit like this stashed on ur site or comp... we wants the precious!!!
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Looks great Doc rob...love the use of the shader. As Daz said, a bit of grey at the temples or something would go a long way to aging him up a bit I reckon.
    Mr Styles, nice job too. Any chance of releasing a recompiled .cgfx version of your .fx shader? Us Maya 7 users can use it straight out of the box if you do. Apparently, there's a tool to let you recompile it on the NVidia site, but I'm sure you know about it already, and I don't have a clue about all that coder nonsense :P
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also lucas, you mind showing flats? they can be low res, ijust want to see the overall value you are giving them, and maybe shader settings. i never got that shader to work that good. didnt know if your making anything special in the maps or have some magic settings.

edit: oh yeah ans @ J.I. Styles i found a guy who made fx shaders that self shadow, but you need another map, its called a horizonmap. not sure how it works but he has more info on his page and more shaders http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=3D&&start=24
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    To those who have read the books, the illustration is of Roland tracking Jake and Gasher into the city of Lud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah! That is EXACTLY where I am at in the books.

This is looking cool, Doc. Nice stuff!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roland_texture_wip2.jpg

Thanks everyone for the great critiques. I think I applied every single change suggested.

Mop, you were right about the iris.

Styles, I was going to email you after it was done, I swear smile.gif Shadows would be awesome, but it sounds challenging. Setting the glossiness in a map or alpha channel would be cool, right now I had to detach the eyeballs to give them a a sharper specular highlight.

Daz, the grey was a good idea. I wish I had that photo of Clint when I was modeling smile.gif

Arsh, I've been tweaking the settings a lot, remind me later and I'll tell you what I settled on.

I'm pretty happy with the head texture now, thanks again for all the comments. On to the body.
  • J.I. Styles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J.I. Styles polycounter lvl 18
    "Setting the glossiness in a map or alpha channel would be cool"

The little goblins that make these shaders for me have mentioned that they've actually already done exactly that. The specular maps alpha component is a glossiness controller.

quick edit too: the whole texture controlled settings + multiplier number is a system simply to confuse the process and make it harder for people to juggle all those numbers... not really. It's a bit easier to tweak it when you have all these dependancies in your textures screwing the end result, it becomes such an ordeal to balance the effect that a multiplier was introduced so it could be ramped independantly of the texture controllers (it sacrifices a few instructions and makes it a little slower but gains an extra level of control over the whole thing).
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Really sweet version of ol' long, tall and ugly smile.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I cannot wait for an update to this fella. I am in love with how that shader is looking on him.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    this really is quite impressive. i haven't read the series, but every time i click on this thread it makes me want to start smile.gif
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    looks stellar, something is a little off with the highlights on the eyes