Home Technical Talk

normal map channel Flipped?

los
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
los polycounter lvl 17
I got this little problem here. I now some of you guys will know whats going on with this.

this is quick test I did for this characer I'm planning on finishing.

I have this issue with the arm It appears that a channel is flipped or something. It's a mirrored geometry, the uv's are
offset 1 unit, the smoothing groups are set to 1.As you can see the right arm seems ok but, the left looks alittle off

cant seem to figure it out though, I'll mess with it some more. Maybe you guys could shed some insight here.

sw3eater6gv.jpg

the referance zbrush model I made with only one arm, the right arm. Maybe that could be the issue? Ill try to build one with two arms an use that for the referance too if that should work.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    is this in max?

the problem is in Max7's viewport, the normal map shader does not deal very well at all with flipped/mirrored geometry and UV's - it results in what you're seeing here.

take a look at the image I posted today in Ruz's recent Normal-map question thread in this forum, you should see what I mean.

You can download the 3dsmax8 trial from discreet, it's a 30-day demo, so you could load your model in there and use the new viewport shader to get a proper idea of what the normal-map is looking like.

hope that helps!
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    looks like that might be the issue. I check that out. thanks mop
    -los