Home Technical Talk

An Enviroment art question.....

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Howdy guys

Well,im currently working on an enviroment piece which I hope would help me towards a job with Liquid D or another contractor.

But I do have a question which I guess could be classed as a presentation question for the max file but would also be influenced by the type of engine the project is for (which in this case is for show).

Ok,my scene has 2 ceiling textures,3 different wall textures,2 floor textures as well as various other decal textures.

now should I put each texture in its own material slot or should I apply them all as Multi-sub Object materials and give them all material IDs?

How do you guys that view peoples folios and work examples want things like the material editor presented?

I do belive multi-subbing everything would make sense (floor textures in 1 slot,ceilings in another,walls another etc etc) but I just want some clarification. cool.gif

As you guys know by now I really can't exsplain things but I hope ya know what I mean and thanks for any help smile.gif.

John

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'd defineatly go for the cleaniless/convienience of a multi-sub material. Everything in one slot, easy to access.
    When looking at art tests, having a clean file setup is best, imo. Just tossing stuff all around is not the best idea.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Multi subbing is the way to go. In my opinion, just making one multi sub can get the job done. Multi subs nested under multi subs get confusing, especially if other artists are going to modify your work. I've worked with level files that use just one multi sub, with hundreds of textures under it. The reason this works is because it's easy to find all of the textures used in the level geometry under one material.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks very much guys.

Just what I needed to know!

John