Home Technical Talk

Newbie questio - Maya setup

MadMesh
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
MadMesh polycounter lvl 17
Recently I’ve started working on a school project where I am part of a modding team. I'm new to modding, I have however done various character models and animation for the web and broadcast. I’ll be doing character modelling and animations for the project, no programming I don’t know anything about that.

I have been looking through this forum and other online sources like 3DBuzz, I’ve seen some video tutorials but I still have some questions.

1. What is the (average) height for a character in Unreal, in grid units? I’ve read quite a few contradictory claims from 128 units to 240, so this is a bit confusing.

2. There is an issue in Maya about the axis orientation. I know that you can switch the “up axis” from Y to Z in Maya’s preferences. However I haven’t seen this solution in any of the documentation and tutorials, is there a reason why this wont work? Most solutions change the orientation afterwards, in UnrealED or flipping in Maya after the model and animation have been created. If there is a way of setting you scene up to prevent this problem I would really prefer it.

3. How many polygons is decent for a character? We are Using Unreal 2004 for the project. I have found some guidelines UDN - two - UnrealModeling but they are for Unreal 2003. We wil be showcasing the project on a decent workstation with quite a bit of power. I always assumed the polycount depends on the power of the graphics card.

P.S.
I am using Maya 6.01 on Windows XP and I plan to use the ActorX plugin. I am still waiting for the Unreal engine and UnrealED to come in, so I cant really test anything yet.

Replies