Home Technical Talk

Newbie question on UV map size

Gunpowder
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gunpowder polycounter lvl 18
Hi People,

I'm trying to create uv texture sizes that are not square (specifically 256 x 512) and I have no idea how to go about doing it. I'm using Maya 5 and 6.5. The only thing I could think of to try is to change it in the uv snapshot menu before I save the layout, but that only seems to compress the whole image to that size rather then crop it some how. I was hoping that someone out there could lend me their expertise and help me on this one. Thanks.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, in Maya you have your 0-1 range UV square, yes? The grid also continues outside that square, though. If you wanna make something twice as long as it is wide, just imagine the UV square continues for 10 more grid units to the left and right.

Lay everything out as if this was the case, then scale everything horizontally down to 50% of it's original size, and place that ALL inside the 0-1 range UV square.

Then export a UV snapshot at 256x512... you should find that even though everything looks squashed in the UV editor, the output from the snapshot is correctly scaled.
  • Gunpowder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gunpowder polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks MoP. I think I got what you're saying and it seems to work. Did you mean to scale the uv's to fit in an additional 10 units left OR right, because it seems thats what I had to do to get it, rather then left AND right. Left and right would mean I'd scale it down 66% horizontally, am I correct in thinking that? Thanks again.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, yeah... left or right. Basically you just imagine the UV square is double in size... 0-2 on one axis instead of 0-1.

Glad to be of help smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Also don't forget to have image>Use image ratio in the UV texture editor ticked.