Home Technical Talk

normal mapping polycount question...

fritz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
fritz polycounter lvl 18
i totally realize this depends on you engine requirements and stuff....but i'm going to normal map a head that weighs in at about 15,000 polys. for the low res version...what would be a good number to shoot for. a friend of mine says 1000. i think i could get away w/500. i've never normal mapped anything so...i don't know the proper ratio....haha...or if there even is one.

thanks!!!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There isn't a proper "ratio" at all... I'd say aim for 500 polys, then it's easy to add more if that looks poor.

I'd maybe recommend using more than 15,000 polys for the high-res mesh, too... are you using subdivision? How much detail do you have on it?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the info MOP. so is 15,000 not enough for a head? yes, it's bumped up one iteration in max. here's the head. this is a few days old. some of the weirdness has been taken care of...like the chin and such. but PLEASE give any crits besides the normal map info. thanks so much MOP!!!!

dude9pv.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like some good progress Fritz old chap. There really isn't any number you should be aiming for on the high poly, rather concern yourself with the visual quality. If it's the detail level that you desire, it's correct. Also keep in mind the target map size. A head for a 256, needs be a lot less detailed than a head for a 2048 for instance. Also remember you can add small scale detail in photoshop using the nvfilter, to add pores, moles, small wrikles, etc.
  • TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TryForce polycounter lvl 18
    hmm aim for a poly count on a highpoly model is unimportant.
    I gues you want to make a movie of the highpoly version or?
    there for you will have to use an animation prog.

nways i dunno for what skintone you chose but i gues its supposed to be a black man or? if its supposed to be a white man then make the nose thinner and the thing under his nose and above his lips abit thinner too. also the eyebag under his eyes wich are going more far out... make them less seeable.

otherwise very good job.

bs. Poop.... where is the nvfilter in photoshop?!
  • CrazyButcher