Home Technical Talk

Concept Art should I bother.

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi, I was wondering If I should bother showing sketches I do in my 2D art section of my site. I basically want a 3D Artist job and not a Concept Artist job, but I want to show that I can draw. I was wondering how detailed and what kind of quality should I put in my sketches and if I should paint them as well. Here is an example of the new things I would put in there. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Alex

frank.jpg
shiero_h.jpg
sword_sh.jpg

Replies

• StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    That stuff would hurt you more than help.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    don't take this the wrong way, but those are pretty weak. seeing as you didn't ask for crits, i'll just say leave them out for now.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    StrangeFate, Snowfly thanks for replying. Feel free to give constructive critizism on these if you wish and any advise on what I should show would be very helpful. I would like to know if the style of the images is what you dislike about them or if the drawings are just too primitive. Check out my current 2d section at www.apsentertainment.com/html/2dart.html since I would like to know if anything there is worth keeping. The crappy Graphic Design section won't be there in the new site so try to ignore it. wink.gif Thanks.

Alex
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I'd say you should drop the whole 2d art section from your site for the time being. Focus on your strengths, which seem to be in 3d modelling and texturing.
    The traditional artwork shows lack of understanding of anatomy and proportion, and perspective here and there, but the colours are good.
    The computer artwork is not adding anything... it's just colours with a random body part floating in it... an employer's gonna be put off by that, it's kinda pretentious IMHO.

Focus on the 3d section for now. If you're serious about the concept art side of it, take up some life drawing classes, or just try really hard every day to draw something better.

So yeah, drop the 2d art section for the time being.

Good luck!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage, they're a good start. Not ready for a game artist portfolio though.

I'd say you should start drawing from life more. Avoid conceptual work (drawing only from your imagination) for awhile, just to improve your skills.

Also try emulating the style of an artist who's been at it for awhile. Pick up one of the excellent anatomy/drawing books, like Bridgeman etc.

Or try Rey Bustos' style, just to pick one example...
    http://www.reybustos.com/06fs/fs.html

It takes a _lot_ of practice, but you'll get there. You're off to a good start!

Oh and while I'm at it, I'd advise you lose the cheap-looking watermark, the one with the drop shadow and weird font. IMO it brings each piece down a couple notches since they end up looking like a Poser-artist's work.

Good start! But remember you need to pay your "dues" so to speak, in order to be more attractive as a potential hire. It takes time and effort.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    now, if you like those.. take the next step and model and texture them and it wouldn't be out of character to have them in a comparison shot of concept to final render...

IMO..
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not sure if I came off the wrong way when I said, "...but I want to show that I can draw..." I just want to show I have enough drawing ability to show off the ideas that are in my head and how I make my 3D models from concepts I come up with. I don't by any means believe I am great at drawing. All the work in the 2D section was my best work from 2000, now I look back on it after five years, I'm not to crazy about it.

Dekard that was the idea I had with showing sketches. I was planning on showing a sketch of say the sword and a link to the 3d model I made of it.

Alex
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool. Just remember that your portfolio is often defined by its weakest part.