moire/noise in mental ray renders issue

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Hey, I'm sure we have some rendering gurus around here! smile.gif

click me

As you can see I'm getting some pretty apparent moire on his tunic there and in other places. I've tried most of the different kinds of texture filtering in maya for his tunic. Mipmap, quadratic, box, quartic, gaussian, but none of them seem to improve the situation. Anyone clued up on this stuff and got any ideas as to how I might fix it?
I'm using HDR and final gather.

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Stop using Maya and use max, lol!!!11 am i rite guys?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    well poop.. the only renderer in max worth a crap is mental ray and since he using final gather i take it thats what he is using.. (read this in my sarcastic voice poop)

you could try upping the samples on final gather, and play with the min,max radius..this kills alot of noise in mental ray renders ..i think the noise is from how small the pattern is on the tunic..i dont know if its the same thing you tried but in max mental ray has samples per pixel and filter under sampling quality in the mental ray settings..under filter it has box, gauss,triangle,Mitchell, and Lancozos..they also all have a width and height values.. i am a big fan of the Mitchell filter.
  • Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    if the flickering is caused by the texture then eliptical filtering(on your texture obviously) is a good way of reducing flicker. if hdr is the problem then blurring the hdr (a lot) and also reducing the actual resoloution of the file helps and, usually doesn't affect the look of your scene as you would think. if it's a final gather problem then i go here http://www.lamrug.org/resources/flickertips.html

smile.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Also try turing on jittering where you set your min and max samples.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Or if you dont mind waiting, perhaps rendering at 2x rez and subsampling back down to desired rez in your video editing app... But thats the stupid way.