chocolate4zq.jpg
face2xv.jpg

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!

Are these your concepts? They are just gorgeous, and good job on the models and textures too!

My one complaint would be on the fat guy. His texture looks more like dirt than lighting. Maybe try to get that a bit more consistant and even so he reads a bit better. I like his weapon though.

The start of that black chick is really looking nice. Please keep us updated.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    thanks so much ben. i learned a lot from your tuts. yeah, those are my concepts. i used to post all the time on conceptart. but the past couple of years have been very strange for me art-wise. i'm kinda having one of those re-awakening thingies(wow. that sounds dumb).

the point on the fat guy...which isn't apparent in the concept, is that i wanted to make him really dirty. perhaps he's a little too dirty. HA!!! thank you so much...it's been a long time since i posted some art. i'm glad the first response was a positive one.

cheers ben!!!
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff, you got some serious skill.

Only thing I could really complain about is the specular level, I think you might want to tone it down a bit, its a bit too shiney in my opinion. I really love that concept though, its so badass. Fatass scary dude with huge ass weapons never gets old with me, keep it up.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    nice, overall I think ur concepts are much better than the models, but thats cool, the models are still pretty damn good. I like the black chick's face the best overall, did you photosource the skin? the concept for her is really hot too, pretty damn badass.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The concepts are lovely. Really like them.

On the other hand, your textures could use some tweaks in my opinion. Mainly, they're too shiny. I think this is a mix of specularity settings, and how you painted the textures. More shadows. Less highlights.

Overall, its all quite impressive though.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    enix: thanks so much! and i think you are right about the spec level. i'm new to spec/bump....i'll tone it down.

mr rockstar: thank you as well! these models are lacking something...i will admit. these were pretty much exercises to shake off about...and inch or two worth of rust on the ol'character modeling skills. hopefully the rust will be shakin' off after a couple more. the skin on the black chick is a mix of photo/and paint....mostly photo. but i've been painting in a lot of subtle bump stuff and color stuff.

aesir: thanks...and you are right. spec/bump seems to be all the rage these days. oh no!!!! i fell into the trap. i'll make the changes you recommend. hopefully i can post updates soon.

thanks again!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Like your concept a lot. first guy is genuinely weird, but the secon one is my favorite.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    thanks weiser....ha. we are both in chicago.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    oh by the way...if anyone knows how i should tackle the dreadlocks...i'm all ears. i've done a couple of tests...and they're OK but....gonna be tough to reach some continuity. i'm really aiming to do it in geo/cards.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye man, the concepts are lovely.
    i find them to be very shy.. maybe even a little bit lonely.
    am i correct? wink.gif

in any case, like most poeple say, they are very nice. In fact, i think your digital drawings (the textures) dont deliver the same intensity as your trad. it looks to me like your "scaling" of detail simply favors the traditional, broad canvas and not the limited area of the texture. the last image, however, which is also my favorite in the post, does deliver that high level of definition. so there ya go smile.gif

all in all it looks like great progress from top to bottom.

edit:
    those huge black eyes... im pretty sure ive seen them before. where did you get the idea from?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    thanks so much shotgun! i'm not sure what you mean by "lonely" tho.

i'm glad you noticed a progress. the first two concepts are REALLY old. the last one is new. the eyes are just all screwy...haha. they will be normal looking at the end. however they do remind me of something i've seen recently...
    this perhaps?http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=282375

but it's just coincidence...although that model is eff'n rad!!!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    lonely.. maybe kind of sad.
    well, nevermind smile.gif

unfortunately the link isn't working. what i meant to say was i thought those alien eyes are really quite nice indeed. i know where ive seen'em too.. wink.gif i'm just wondering where did yours come from.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    they are actually just some high res photo eyes. but i didn't scale them in Pshop yet so...the entire iris and pupil are hovering over the UV's.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hi, everything I see here is fucking awesome. You own everyone's ass on this forum.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic concepts, as said already the textures dont really live up to them, maybe its just the renders tho? can we see some texture flats maybe?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Fritz! Glad to see you posting work again. You have a really good start with these. I love the conceptual work.

- BoBo
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    malcolm: ha!!! thanks. but i strongly disagree....too many awesome artists here. but thanks again!!!
    earthquake: thank you very much! yeah, people seem to be "iffy" on the textures. i would LOVE some advice. i will try and post some flats. right now i'm still trying to figure out the damn hair. AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
    BOBO!!!!!: oh how i love me some bobo!!(not in that way of course). thanks man...feels good to be making stuff. your work has always been a major source of inspiration to me!!
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, saw this just now! Fritz your work is simply AMAZING! Lovely concepts and lovely modeled/textured. Nothing to add to the critique though as you have got plenty already. I want to see more!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    rah! fucking cool!

i have to agree that i like the concepts much better than the models, although it may have something to do with the lighting setups, and or presentation of the models.

that elf chick is badassssssssssssss, and i love the fat guy drawing... ah! some renderin skillz on that dude.

the bottom chick is by far my fav smile.gif It doesnt quite look like the head captures the same feel that the concept does, but im sure you've got a ways yet to go on it smile.gif what i mean by that is the shape of the jaw in the mesh compared to the concept, and the dark 'warrior rings' under her eyes. that weapon is very sexy though, fits extremely well with her. I wouldnt mind getting cracked across the face with it.... or something smile.gif she feels very 'aeon flux' for some reason smile.gif
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    ewooz: thanks man...i have some other goodies..really old tho. i am working on some new stuff. i look forward to posting more. thanks again!!!
    moose: thanks for your comments. and you are VERY right about all you have said. i'll take another look at the model...you are spot on with the jaw. thanks man!!!

sorry earthquake...here are the flats of the vampy girl:

girldiff7xy.jpg
    girlbump4ec.jpg
    girlspec3nl.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i feel like i've seen these before, like years ago.
    i really like the rendering in the first concept, very nicely done.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    hahahaha. KP!!! it's me. beebop rocksteady from conceptart!!! remember the guest self-portrait section??? anyways, how you been? all models are new. the last concept is new. but yes, the other concepts are ancient indeed. i thought i'd pull them out of the box to do some modeling.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    ah, i thought i knew your work smile.gif welcome to polycount man.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    whew! man your 2d work is damn brilliant. excellent stuff, very nice. your models are great too, but i think that the quality is much higher in the 2d- for example, in the first character, it'd be nice to see some of the appealing mass in the concept expressed in the model-- the slight split in the bottom of the gut, the sagging boobs... if you pushed the geometry so that it really started to look heavy, it would be bloody marvelous, i think.

great stuff. i LOVE the large painting of the girl, and the textural quality of the black girl in the last image smile.gif awesome stuff.