Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Polyish Elf

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Showster polycounter lvl 18
Another Model for my uni project I am trying to short the bugs out in my painting but theres still some creatures in the closet here and there.

The model is just short of 2500 polygons could really use some adjustments perhaps. Theres a wireshot below, I'd like to remake the shoulders and perhaps the knees. I keep looking at them and I'm not quite happy with them. The texture will eventually be a 1*512 for the body and 1*256 for the head. I will probably also include a specular / some sort of shader for the metal eventually.

Peace

Show

Concept Sorta (NOT MINE)

Elfyconcept.jpg

Semi Textured

Elfy.jpg

Wires

elfwoman3.jpg

(I have scaled the torso since this pic but the wires are still the same,, she is not suffering from a disease anymore hehe)

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The arms seem too short, but I think its just the torso is a little bit too long - theres nt much in it.

Also, the torso is a little thin - certainly in the chest area, which makes he look like she has manly shoulders. Also, you may want to increase the slope of the shoulders.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    In addition to Rick's crits, I'd narrow her upper thighs, and increase the size of her hands. Concept is pretty rocking, know who it's by?

Right now she has no ribcage. The torso tends to have a bias towards the back. From the top it's slightly triangular, with the point in the front. It's because of the lats and the obligues. Right now you have her perfectly round.

Her wrists seem really skinny too. Ultimate it looks like you might want to look at some more anatomy, for this model and future endeavors. It carries across in ever aspect of the process.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comparison.jpg

Rightio I tried to fix the things you suggested. New one is on the left looks much better.

Strange I used the joan of arc refs for the body, but I guess the proportions got a bit mixed up during scaling. I never though to check the anatomy after I'm a bell end at times lol!

Hopefully I can finish this today getting bored of staring at the same pixels!

Cheers again Guys

Edit Poop the artists name is on the concept, but I don't know there nickname if thats what you mean
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ummm how are her knees going to bend? o_O
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to collapse a row on the back, dunno why I forgot that hehehe!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The Joan of Arc refs have cartoon proportions, they might not be the best guides for realistic characters.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k, aren't they like mangish type proportions. I thought they would be ok for the elf, although I needed to make the elf more slender and taller eventually.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers man that pic was quite nice, I've only got some basic marvel anatomy pics and manga references...

I overlayed that image on my mesh...

comparison2.jpg

Not looking to bad,, still need to sort the chest out!

Update.jpg

Thats a without shot hehe!

Btw this is like only my second female mesh ever lol!
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k semi finished for now, 1* 512 map, 1*256 map (for head)...

Elfy2.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    she is looking super 'bottom heavy,' and not like she's got junk in her trunk, but that her hips and thighs are a little too big.

you're right that you have her about centered height wise with those anatomy ref's, but you're pretttty far off in width. double check the size of her rib cage, and size of her hips and thighs, they be a bit off.

you could probably go for some more poly fixing on her face, it looks like all points are converging at her nose, creating an ugly pulling look to the surface.

try to visualize her without any armor on (huh huh huh), and put the armor on top of that (build up). i think you'll get some better results. Wireframe shots may help some with critiques as well.