Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Room WIP.

los
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
los polycounter lvl 17
heres a wip I'm working on. I'm taking a break from character and focusing on environments for a sec.

this is my first room so, any help, tips, whatever critique is appreciated.
room4cv.jpg

room12fe.jpg
I want to texture it all grunged up kinda like Silent Hill The Room.

-los

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    pretty neat so far. Lots of wasted polys though, such as the walls, cieling, and floor. Is there a reason you have all those edges that aren't defining anything?
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Lighting I'm assuming, its quite interesting when you spend so much time learning to optimize in max then put an environment in a game engine and realize how horrible it looks.
    This is looking great so far and I think it would light very well in most game engines, now get texturing laugh.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yup thats completely neccessary if it is being put in any engine with vert lighting, its weird having to go in and just add useless polys just to make things light good
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ah. I didn't know that. Nevermind, Los. Carry on... wink.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man, I like where this is going. I think though, to really make this thing 'pop' and get noticed, would be to keep elaborating on what you've got. Additions like items on the shelves (books, dvds, loose paper, mp3 player, chocolate bar wrapping, empty cup(s), are some ideas.

Good job man.

As for the poly distribution, this is ideal for gaming engines
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    thanks for the critiques guys.

AdamBrome- Yeah man, all that good stuff will be added in eventually
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice. I'm a big SH fan, looking forward to the textures!
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    the floor/ceiling won't light too well in a vert lighting based engine as it stands currently.

depending on where you want to put your lights, you will want to cut in specific polys in order to get enough shadow detail in areas that you want. (actually have the splits angled in order for the shadow to run along) as well as possibly additional splits parallel to them in order to get the shadows to be soft in the edges of course without bleeding right over into other areas.

looking nice and clean so far though smile.gif

i hope you put rubbish everywhere! i prefer grunge stuff and would like to see a trashed apartment rather than a sparkling clean one wink.gif

keep up the good work
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Defineatly with Electro on the lighting issues. The fact that your floor/walls/ceilings are not contiguous can also be problematic. You'll defineatly have to go in and slice it up a bit, to get the result you want.

Looks pretty slick so far though. Can't wait to see it textured up smile.gif
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    Electro, Vassago, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind before I start lighting.

The thing is, Its not going in an engine, I want to have this for my reel to show I know the technical side of environments for games I guess. I'd rather do it the right way rather than showing some hacked up environment that would never work in game.

keep the critiques coming guys.thanks.
    -los
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Well, it's not a matter of blindly 'hacking' the geometry for the room. It's about cutting in new polys where you need the verts, for lighting. If it's not destined for an engine, you should at least vertex light it for viewport screen grabs or something. Either that, or make some kick ass lightmaps for it (which means you can optimize the geometry more).
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I suppose it's meant to be a tile-based system that could be generated easily (e.g. with a building editor or a random generator like those found in roguelikes), at least the walls. You should make the corners connect correctly, though. Don't leave any open holes!
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    cool, thanks guys. Vassago, I know what you mean man, I was just commenting on how I would rather do it the way you explained the, right way, rather than some other second rate method.I should have rephrased my comment there sorry.

here's the start for the walls. I'll have 2 maps at 256 for the walls, 1 corner piece and 1 for regular walls. Maybe Ill do a third to mix it up some.

roomwall6il.jpg