http://www.nydailynews.com/10-02-20...1p-299870c.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/10-01-20...4p-299702c.html

http://www.wnbc.com/news/5044777/detail.html

quote:Student killed in
after-school brawl

By JOE WILLIAMS
and CARRIE MELAGO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Students outside the school react after fight broke out.
School safety officer stands outside the School for the Physical City on East 25th Street.
A student was stabbed to death during an after-school rumble in the Flatiron District yesterday that sent four other teenage boys to the hospital, police said.

Sharif Lesane, 15, of Brooklyn died hours after getting knifed in the stomach when a brawl erupted outside the School for the Physical City shortly after classes ended at 3 p.m., witnesses and authorities said.

Three other teens were stabbed during the bloody melee that broke out near the corner of E. 25th St. and Park Ave. South, and a fifth suffered a superficial wound.

Authorities said some teens from the small, alternative public school had been taunting a new student, whose friends showed up to fight back yesterday.

But it was unknown last night whether the stabbing victims were the bullies or youths who simply got caught up in the brawl.

Sharif was rushed to Bellevue Hospital but couldn't be saved. A 16-year-old with a stomach wound was in stable condition there, as were a 17-year-old who was stabbed in the back and a 19-year-old knifed in the chest and torso, police said.

Another 16-year-old suffered only minor injuries.

All of the victims were students at the school except the 19-year-old, police said.

No arrests were made as of last night.

Cops recovered a box cutter at the scene that police believe was used in the fight.

The violence shocked several New Yorkers on the upscale block.

"This is a professional area," said Rafael Martinez, 32, an employee at a nearby Staples store. "We don't usually worry about stabbings."

im thinking about transferring because as of late in my school there have been increased violences and stuffs. when i went there 7 years ago for 6th grade, it was a very good school. to get in you had to be interviewed, you had to go for a buddy day, you had to be explicitly chosen to get in, and then it became part of the regular schools and anyone started going, and then it became a second opportunity school where a bunch of kids who got expelled from other schools got sent there.

from what im hearing, the kid that died was a good guy, i didnt really know him that well. one of the other kids that got stabbed i know a little, he was kind of a jerk and i could see why someone would have stabbed him. im hearing that it could have been gang related, or it could have been that it was because someone was bullied so he got a bunch of his friends to come by and stab people. im thinking of maybe transferring even though its my last year.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    a dude gets shanked in the gut and dies from a fight at your school. i would strongly be considering transferring as well... how much time do you have left? junior or senior?
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Youre a senior. Dont bother transferring... Unless youre actively involved in gangs or like to get in fights, then Im betting youre not ever gonna be in any danger. Transferring is only gonna be a royal pain in the ass to deal with. It'll be annoying with your college applications, and you'll have to join a bunch of classes in the middle of their semester. Not to mention the fact that you won't know anyone at your new school, so unless youre a social butterfly, finding a new group to hang with probably wont be easy. Just stick it out.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Wtf is the name of your school Rikers Island High ?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Stay for the rest of your senior year, and just don't talk shit to people. Never talk shit to anyone unless you know for a fact they won't stab you. I've met people much like myself that you could mistake for snobby assholes who would never throw a punch, yet in reality they wouldn't hesitate to light your car on fire for pissing them off.

It's a shame that shit like this has to happen.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yes. stay on to finish, but just stay out of questionable after-school activities. like stabbin' dudes and gettin' stabbed.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    So, um, will they blame GTA for this?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    The kind of pressure that will be on the admin of your school will be crazy now. That school will be the safest place for the rest of the school year.

I thought all urban schools in the USA had metal detectors.

-R
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    If that new Rockstar game was out already, I'm sure they would have blamed it (the one that involves street fighting).

I was about to say the same as PaK, the school will probably be extremely secure now. The shock of this also tends to get other 'wanna-be badasses' to reconsider their actions. A lot of kids think their badasses until they get the reality check that they could die.

Stick with your school and be careful/safe. You don't have much time to left before your done anyways.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I thought all urban schools in the USA had metal detectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe box cutters can be made with plastics these days.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Changing schools won't always help. My parents moved to a small town when I was a kid, in the hopes of keeping my brother and I safe when we were in school. In this quaint little town, kids were snorting coke out of their lockers, having drunken brawls, and a few ended up getting shot. It really wasn't any better than the rough city that we had left, and in some ways was even more dangerous.

The truth is that no place is totally safe, yet your actions can keep you much more secure.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    no, they were metal. aparently there was also a steakknife. kids from my scccol today brought weapons, we dont have detectors.

there were some 30 odd cops there today though, and i leave school 45 minutes before everyone else and they were rude and were like "who are you, do you recognize me? do you recognize any of the security here? no? then we dont know you, go get proof" so i had to go back to the office and get a copy of my schedule and its not that its just the rudeness of it all.

and i know changing schools this late would be a bit troublesome, but its not the gang thing i found out.

the kid that died was a bystander, someone sliced him open with a knife and aparently his intestines were falling out and the security guard was holding them in, and some other people just standing around or going home got punched with brass knuckles and broke ribs and stuff. even if i dont get in trouble or talk shit or stick by and watch fights i could still get in on the "getting punched in the ribs while going home" game.