Home Technical Talk

Multiple Objects To One UV Map

Inferno
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Inferno polycounter lvl 18
Hello,

I'm UV Mapping a gun in 3D Max and I'm having a hard time figuring out how I can get multiple objects onto one UV Map. I know how to Unwrap the objects but they all have their own UV Map. Can anyone tell me how I can do this?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think you'd have to Attach all the objects, UV-map them all, then Detach them into their original parts after exporting the texture for painting on.

You could assign different Material ID's to each segment before you Attached them all, so you could easily split them up again afterwards, just using Select By Mtl. ID.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd listen to MoP there. There is a script that automates this process, but it sounds like you're just starting out in Max, so it's probably in your best interest to learn the manual way, at least the first time through (like we all did). Best way to learn.
  • Inferno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inferno polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the help. I actually learned 3D Max five years ago but didnt get back into it until this summer. In college we never really did touch into UV Mapping and just did your normal "texture to mesh" way using the Material Editor. I knew about attaching everything together if you were doing something like a house but wasnt sure what you would do if you had something that needed multiple objects like a gun.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    You can map each object individually, then attach them later. Basically you just have to make sure that each sections UVs are not overlapping any others when you map them. What I'd do, is map each object, then stick all the uv's in a far region of the uv space, not in the actual square. Then do the same with your next part, but put them in a different spot. Then just attach everything together and move all the bits inside your UV square. Also, make sure each part is on the same UV map channel.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One problem with attaching is that you lose the individual pivot positions/orientations. You can easily re-center them after exploding, but it's a pain if they need to be in particular places for animation or physics or whatever.

Here's the script I mentioned. I think it might preserve pivots, dunno haven't used it.
    http://users.skynet.be/arketip/arketip_multiObjectUnwrapENG.htm