Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

When Jelmer met Dobby.

JBoskma
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys. Another thread from me. (VFS is turning me into a workaholic production monster) Been doing some sculpting today. It's the first sculpture I've ever done, and I really fell in love with this. (Not the sculpture, but sculpting in general). I'm pretty satisfied with this thing so far though. It's supposed to be Dobby from the Harry Potter books, and second movie: The Secret Chamber. I'd love to hear what you think. It's supposed to be Dobby from the Harry Potter books, and second movie: The Secret Chamber. I'd love to hear what you think. It's still one of my biggest dreams and admirations to work on one or two of the last Harry Potter movies. I love the books by J.K. Rowling as well, and that's why I've given Dobby the honor of beeing my first sculpting excersise.
(btw: get some super sculpty yourself, if you haven't, it's easy and very clean stuff to work with, you can do it anytime, anywhere.) enjoy.

dobby1.jpg

dobby2.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jelmer/dobby3.jpg

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    hot, I need to get a towel.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Nice face!!
    What is the size of it? (wide/high/tall)inches/feet?
    I have been messing around with some super sculpey clay myself and it is realy fun but expensive if you make the models too big. What Is this "VFS" you talk of? School? Job
    I use some cheap$$ palstic tools sort of like the ones on this website to help with my modeling, check them out here...
    http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml;$sess...mp;PRODID=11144
    -Look forward to seeing more of your sculptures in the future.-
    www.hitbyarock.com
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VFS is the Vancouver Film School, www.vfs.com
    I'm using about 2 metal working tools and a brush with some alcohol to smoothen things out here and there.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man, looking cool. I think you are running into a problem I see a lot of people run into when working with sculpy for their first time or two. You aren't working in any subtle definition. It's all super defined. I know Dobby has a craggy face, but you should let some of these hard edges slowly desolve. Sort of a lost and found edges principle carried over into 3d. Also some terpanoid or alcohol will help you smooth it out. I can still see a lot of lumps on it. Rather than just a brush (which will only smooth out small scale details) take some saran wrap stretched over your fingertip and dip that in alcohol. Then smooth out the larger dips and imperfections. Glad to see you pumping out so much stuff.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    yay Dobby! don't forget his soul patch when you are finished. wink.gif

any chance you might try Winky or Kreacher too? *sniff poor Winky got cut from the Goblet of Fire film. frown.gif
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx Ben, I Tried to use some of your crits.
    Asherr: not sure man, I really enjoy sculpting, but it'll depend on my spare time. Sounds like a fun project though! smile.gif I've baked him today (deadlines, deadlines). Here's the baked version of Dobby with his ears:
    dobbyf.jpg

dobbyf2.jpg