Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Marines 2D WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
Repaint of a sketch I did last week. I'm going blind so I'll ask for some crits, k thx bye

Repaint
flipside.jpg

Original
Battle.jpg

The dog and the funny looking spaceship are references to my pet and Space Invaders. smile.gif

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    looking great, I prefer the new one, it has more depth and movement in it, great job on the lighting smile.gif
    the old one was too monochromatic IMO
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    nice work snowfly--not only are the colors just that much more interesting, you did a good job of extending the image plane in the background. i'm also keen on seeing you develop that little dog looking character in the new one smile.gif good stuff man.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Dang, why no love for this thread?

First off, AWESOME painting. I really like the color scheme and lighting you got going on. Like mr Gaussles, I like the way you resolved the background.

I think that dog is just begging to have his design elaborated and then modeled and textured. Do you model and texture as well Snowfly? I can't remember. If yes I'm sure you cook up some mean textures with your painting style.

I'm digging the fishy design of the aliens heads. Also the energy is really palpable in the scene, to the point it crackles visually. It's almost a weak point though, as my eyes didn't know where to travel around at first.

Always love your stuff man.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the votes of confidence! took your crits into consideration when i finished off the painting, but can't say it was a huge improvement over what's posted here. anyway it's finalized and printed now.

poop, yeah i learned to use max and maya at previous jobs, but since i don't get regular access to either it's a bit hard finding any way to practice. currently looking at XSI mod tool, hopefully that'll be good to continue on.

still working up the guts to post more often, as a mostly 2D guy.. frown.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    go laser dog, go!! smile.gif i think the final version is very nicely rendered out without crowding the frame with too much detail. the alien beasties' lighting/coloration really draws the eye--good going man.
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, great work Snowfly. I like the painted feel to it. However I feel that it misses some dynamics in the poses, especially for the aliens, they seem a little stiff. Another thing is the moon, it seems like there is a lot of smoke and atmospherics going on in the background, that should also cover the moon. Now it looks like there aint any atmoshperics added to the visibilty of the moon. Perhaps I misunderstand what I see? Anyways a great painting with potential for even greater work coming up in your next pieces.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP my ass thats come quailty finished work!