Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

aesir's sidescroller art

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
So, I got involved in a small game project, as most of us do on this site, and it seems that Im gonna be doing pretty much all the art, animations, etc. The game is gonna be a 3d sidescroller, with a fixed view from the side. The entire premise is extremely corny, and hopefully will be pretty funny when its done. To summarize, it involves 3 main characters. A ninja, a pirate, and a robot. They fight against a mad scientist who stole a jewel that can create zombies to build an army for himself. He used to be making a robot army for himself, but it was too troublesome, so hes gonna try out zombies for a bit.

so, I've been working on the robot, using an old model that I never really finished. I remodeled it, re-did the UVs, and textured it. Here he is.

steambotremakeshow1.jpg

Feel free to critique the hell out of it. Probably wont look quite that good in game, what with the nice lighting I gave it, but good presentation is always nice smile.gif Still have to properly rig it. Right now its just a messy collection of links.

Eventually, I'll get around to working on the rest of the characters and the props. In the mean time, if anyone has some spare models or textures lying around that they think we might be able to use, feel free to let me know. Doesnt need to be characters or anything, hell, just props like a table would help. Right now we're just concentrating on making one level, which is basically a prison where they've been captured and they have to escape. Gonna be really simple.

So, how ya like?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey look, it's Clank!

aesir, this model looks good - with the support of a solid shader system it would look great. Any info on the engine?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    sounds like you've got a recipe for awesome.

ninjas, pirates, robots and zombies. throw in a giant-squid as some sort of boss, and you have the best game ever.

what texture size is he wearing? and how large will he appear on screen? give us some mock-up shots on how he'll appear in game for us to ooh and ahh over.

You might want to reconsider his eyes and eyebrows. As you have it right now it might be difficult to express emotions, as it looks like his eyebrows are welded onto his face.

really digging him, though.

for donating meshes, what sort of polycounts are we talking?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    We're just using Quake's engine. Really, we're not exactly a hugely ambitious project smile.gif So, shaders are gonna be a no.

Right now hes a little over 3k polys and wearing a 1024x1024 tex map. The map can probably get sized down without much of a loss in detail right now though. Hes gonna be pretty small on screen (thumb sized maybe?), but I wanted to have some fun.

For donating meshes, polycount isnt gonna be too big a deal (I hope) since the scenes we're planning are all pretty small. Feel free to PM me if you think you have something we could use.

Thanks for the comments smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Cute, very clank, but you may be facing some hefty design problems. Sectaurs had some good points, but in addition to that, this character was design for up-close viewing, skinny arms, torus elbows, tiny knees, thin hands and detail between finger joint, etc. A lot of these things won't read at all or will just disappear with the sidescroller camera. Additionally, red on black are too colors that blend together to the eye. This can be seen from the back shot as there are no defined shapes on the character. The front shot mainly works because it's a pure silhouette with little to no overlapping parts.

I strongly suggest redoing the arms and color scheme. Only this time, purely build and design him with your game camera in mind. Work towards lowering his his specs, for example, build a 500-1000 triangle version with a 128 texture for the distance view. Once you're confident in this version, zoom in and add some up close detail, like a cinematic view. With this version, you can use all the detail you really want, but I'd try to limit to 2k and a 256. Be creative within a tight budget instead of sloppy with whatever you want.

Sorry if I seem too harsh, it's just that I really like what you're doing here, and want to see it pushed as far as it can go. I love these types of characters and games. For example, I also made a clank inspired bot once he's 1k triangles:
    http://chrisholden.net/portbot1k.jpg
    Heck I even remodeled Ratchet & Clank once. :P
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hey, thanks for the critiques cholden. Believe it or not, I first made the basic concept for this model before I ever played rathchet and clank, so... ah... They copied me!

But as for your critiques, those are a lot of really smart intelligent problems that you've pointed out with my design.
    As far as the polycount, I don't really think thats going to be an issue, and personally, I honestly dont think I was sloppy with my use of polys. True, I don't NEED that many for the distance away from the camera, but Im hoping that for little storytelling moments in the game, we'll be zooming in on the characters a bit more.

Your points about the arms and the color schemes are both spot on. I can see that being quite a problem with the skinny arms at a distance. I dont exactly want thick arms though because thats REALLY not gonna work with the rest of the character design, but I think I can beef up the arms a decent bit at least.

As far as the color scheme, Im not entirely sure what to do with it. Just playing with the hue/saturation hasnt really found me too many good looking results. Do you have any suggestions on that area?

To be perfectly honest, I dont really have the time to go in and completley redo the character like you want me to, or to make different LOD's for the characters. So, Im gonna try and make some adjustments, (hopefully soon. But who knows. Might set aside the bot for a while and work on other assets) but dont really expect a full redesign.

So, cholden gave me some great crits. Anyone else have suggestions, perhaps new ideas for a new color scheme?
  • cholden
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I like the shape and stance, it's just the color scheme that bugs me. So hottt... too much saturation on the red and yellow I think.

This is for the contest over at gamedev.net isn't it?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    We're just using Quake's engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

As unmodified?

You're gonna have *ALOT* of fun with the original .mdl format [/sarcasm]
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    cholden: thanks. I'll try that out

snowfly: it was originally for the contest and gamedev.net, but it seems we're gonna be waaay too slow to enter in time, so we're just gonna work on it for fun.

Cheap: havent gotten around to exporting shit yet. Im sure it will drive me insane...
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could also try using darkplaces, and export to the more sane md3 format instead, if you don't want to work in Quake's limitations.

If you're shooting for the software renderer, FTE Quakeworld can support MD3's in software mode by translating them realtime to MDL.
  • RickA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RickA polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys, and thank you all for the good criticism on aesir's model. I'm the guy doing the programming on this project, and thought I'd drop in and say a few words regarding the engine aspect of the project.

The engine is entirely custom made, since I enjoy messing about with the more low-level stuff.
    We're using Quake3 .bsp files for the levels, which allows us to use existing editors for the project. However, since I wanted to learn how to use skeletal animation, we're going to be using the Doom3 md5 format for the meshes and animations.

Originally this game (not the engine) was indeed meant for the contest, but it seems very unlikely we'll be even close to finishing next month. But it seems everyone is willing to continue the project at a slower pace, so we'll see how it goes.

Regarding the no-shader statement, I'm not entirely sure about that. I've done some work on a shader system, but it's still extremely basic. However, I would love a reason to give more attention to that part of my engine laugh.gif

Adam: what kind of shaders were you thinking?

Sectaurs: good suggesting regarding the eyebrows.

cholden: thanks for those comments as well. I always love your low-poly stuff. Have you ever thought of using them in something?
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    sounds like you've got a recipe for awesome.

ninjas, pirates, robots and zombies. <font color="blue"> throw in a giant-squid as some sort of boss, and you have the best game ever.</font>

really digging him, though.

for donating meshes, what sort of polycounts are we talking?

[/ QUOTE ]

CALL IT "ULTROS"!!
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    I just wander, is there a reason to why you don't use the Quake2 engine?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's because the quake 2 engine sucks

- hardcoded 10fps physics
    - horrible c game code
    - horrible warpy md2 format
    - why downgrade when they're already using more advanced tech, i.e. md5 and q3bsp?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm digging it Aesir. Glad to see you posting some art, 8-)

I like his texture, but I think you need to do something to make his hands read better. At the moment it's hard to see them, which is going to work even worse in a side scroller environment. Perhaps bring in some of the red from his body to make them easier to follow.

Update us when you choose your new color scheme.
  • RickA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RickA polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I just wander, is there a reason to why you don't use the Quake2 engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I like to code my own stuff laugh.gif
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, well suit your self.

RickA, hmm, that would explain it.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I haven't forgotten about the bot. I'll get back to it eventually. However in the meantime, I finally found a few free nights to wip up this model. A pirate smile.gif Including the sword and the sheath its at about 2500 tris. Yes, I know its pretty cliche with the hook and all. Its supposed to be that way. Im still debating adding a giant pirate hat.

Pirateremake.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well your pirate model looks fine and dandy, but based on your lil' robot I think this guy is completely off style. Shouldn't he be more of a super deformed pirate? Like a midget with a giant hat, eye patch and maybe a parrot? Not unlike Yosemite Sam when he was dresses as a pirate?

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&q=yosemite+sam+pirate&spell=1
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Thats an interesting point. While I would disagree that it is "off style" because I think that a semi realistic pirate like this could fit in just fine with the robot, the idea of having really deformed characters is somewhat appealing. Unfortunately, I honestly don't think I have the design ability to come up with something like what you're suggesting, especially for it to be able to exist in 3d space. My design skills are lacking in the cartoony side of things unfortunately, so Im probably just gonna stick with my strengths.

However, after posting this, it really seems like the pirate lacks character. Any ideas on how to change that. Frankly, hes supposed to be more of a crazy rum drinking pirate, but right now he looks like a boring gentlemen guy with a hook. I could give him a scruffy beard, or moustache. Give him bigger widlder eyes. But somehow I think it needs a more drastic change. Any ideas of where I screwed up?

Its odd how I always start to dislike my work directly after posting it on the internet. DAMN YOU INTERNET!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your official 30 second pirate design, sir.

http://chrisholden.net/yarlseythepirate.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    lmao. Probably a bit too deformed there for my tastes. Not only would I never be able to translate that to 3d (well), I'd rather stick with a semi realistic approach. Its just my opinion that things like that really arent suited to 3d (unless you've got crazy rigs/morphs and a high poly mesh).

Still... maybe a beard is a good approach. make him all scruffy like
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Nice pirate, Cholden. That's a self portrait, isn't it?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    well, since by now I've pretty much accepted that cholden is my art director, heres some new concept ideas. Probably will try to make them a bit less deformed... but I suck at concepting shit..
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, cool stuff, aesir. I like #1, but #7 is fun too with those crazy eyes/teeth. #2 kinda looks like if Ronald McDonald was a pirate. 4, 6, and 8 would make great minions. :P
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I figured you'd like the first one cholden, but I doubt I'll be doing that route. Too short. Looks like a midget pirate... I want him to be taller then the robot at least...

anyways, a few more drawings.

nextpirateconcepts.jpg

hopefully my next pirate concept will be a final concept I'll start modeling from
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    those pirates rule! tho I like #1 on your previous post. Nothing wrong with "little people".
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yah i'd agree that the pirate doesn't fit with the little robot. i'd also like to cast another vote for pirate #1.

the robot rocks dude. awesome.. i really like it smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the compliments you guys!

Unfortunately, despite your majority vote of the #1 design, your opinions have been vetoed. It was odd really, everybody seemed to like something different, and no one really liked the ones I liked. At cgchat, people liked 4 and 7. The lead coder on my team liked 8 the best. I personally liked 5 and 6... So, I just did what I felt like smile.gif

Anyways, for now, this is the final concept. It may be subject to revisions as I model, but this is basically what I want.

pirateconceptfinal.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Stared at it a bit longer. Gave him some slightly new proportions. God bless photoshop smile.gif

piratenewproportions.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I finally finished my animation for school and turned that shit in, so I had a little time to model. This is as far as I got, and now its Finals week.

piratefleshingout.jpg

and Im only using the concept as a rough guide. I like playing around with things as I go in 3dsmax.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    update. I cant really decide how I want to do the eyes, so let me know what you guys think. Whatcha like better?

pirateupdatemodel.jpg
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    It's a bit hard to tell how the eyes feel on his face in faceted mode with just grey on grey. Try adding a quick shade of tan to his face with a white eye, this way we can get a better read of how it may look. Also for the mustache and beard try extending the plane so you have a bit more to work with when using alphas. Last but not least the ear could use a little loving, it's coming off a bit too angular. If you don't have the poly’s to spare then optimize the extrusion and ad the extra poly's to the silhouette. I hope you get to finish it Aesir!