Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanical Gorilla

JBoskma
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
Hey. I'm finally back home, and about to catch up some sleep. I'm tired as a monkey. Wanted to share this quickie with you guys. The gorilla was done for a 'robotic animal' assignment, that was due this friday. Everything was modeled and setup in 5 evenings/nights, so I couldn't do everything I would have liked to. I will work on this thing a bit more in the future probably though. Enjoy. Smoothed renders will be posted when I find the mesh showable for that.

Day 5: ('finished')
monkeybitch.jpg

Day 4:
monkey4.jpg

Day 3:
monkey3.jpg

Day 2:
monkey1.jpg

Day 1:
robomonk.jpg

Replies

• _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    nice so far. I would recommand to let some parts float on top of the mode instead of modelling it into the mesh.

I am drunk. More3 crits lateer.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    this is a good attempt,
    i like the way the lungs show through,
    and the leg/ thigh mechanism is on spot
    why?
    because it makes sense, it corresponds with anatomy mechanism.
    and here lies the problem with this, as i see it, where theres too much of too little.. meaning, there's just a lot of needless detail that doesnt make much sense to me.

im the last person to say everything has to make sense, but when you overload it with senseless stuff, you lose the viewer.

i will use kenneth scott's models here as example::
    http://pixologic.com/zbrush/interviews/scott_interview.html

most of the detail he builds into his models is based right off anatomy.. things just 'make sense' even if you don't knowingly make associations. not just ken, tho, most kick ass stuff you see out there is, basically, and simply, elaboration of anatomy. you wouldnt believe how easy things can become if you just know wtf you're doing.. no offence tho wink.gif this is one of the better and more pretencious attempts i've seen from you.. keep going.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing looking model. Great concept overall.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, the concept is cool and you pulled it off pretty nicely.

I like the feeling of mass it all has.

The mesh is a bit weird in some places, lots of unnecessary polys, especially in the forehead is one of the main areas I see.

This model was built for subdivision, yeah? I'll be interested to see how it looks when smoothed.

The right arm anatomy isn't making much sense to me - the rest of the body is fairly smooth and natural, and the weapon parts are made to seem technical and realistic - yet this right arm has huge exaggerated stylised muscles... doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the mesh, IMHO.

However i guess it might make more sense when smoothed.

Good work though, especially for just 5 days. How many hours per day did you spend on it?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I like this one. Can't wait to see some textures slapped on.

His chest doesn't seem as substantial as the rest of him from the quarter view. Not sure what it shapes like on actual gorillas, but that's the only thing that bugs me about the model. Very nice..
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    you should put some kind of protective boot on his gun to prevent the barrel getting fucked up or shit jammed up in it that would still enable him to shoot it. if it is a gun, that is. wow! that last sense was riddled with tiny words!
  • squatedbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    squatedbug polycounter lvl 18
    Cool to see this one finished, really nice job on this one.
    Curious to see how your other highpoly models will turn out, this is a really good start.

The poly density is a bit too much in some places, but it's nothing terrible. I like the flow of the mesh. Promising! laugh.gif

Now errrr.... Animate this sucker! *cracks whip*
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shimmer you drunken monkey. Lay off the Warsteiner.
    Shotgun, funny you mention that Zbrush interview, Scott is one of my biggest inspirations, and I love every single piece this guy does. I agree with most of what you said.
    Mop, this model is indeed build for subdivision and I might consider rebuilding the whole arm and use some anatomy reference this time wink.gif. I think I spend about 6 hours on the model every day. It's all done after the normal classes of school, in the evenings and nights, so I could probably do it faster in a week with sleep and normal work times.
    Squatedbug, I first have to animate my cracking whip 2D animation this weekend, hehe. Thanks for all the comments guys, luvya
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Can I see the smoothed version?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ohh, I just noticed... because of where you put those big wires/tubes at the top of the forearm on the gun, he can't raise his arm nearly as much as he should be able to!
    The arm's hardly at 45 degrees there in those top 2 shots, yet the tubes are already clipping through the inside elbow area.
    You might wanna find a solution to that, since it's greatly affecting his mobility with that arm!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    what software did you use?
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop, you're right hehe.
    Hawken: Softimage XSI 4.2
  • fatatattat