Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Newcomer - Website/Portfolio pimp -

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
Hello everyone,
I am finally a member here and hopefully will fit right in with this big art loving "family". I have finally
finished my website/portfolio and was looking for a second opinion on it. I am currently looking for a entry level job.

-Please give me feedback- Thanks.
<font color="white"> </font>
http://www.hitbyarock.com/

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    nice site, I like that you have some samples on the main page, skip the intro screen though.

The bug monster and the dune buggy really stand out, the other models have some problems though, the mesh looks pretty good but the textures detract, I see some black lines and very hard shading.

Soooo, take the 2 women and the fantasy guy off and focus on creating some more vehicles and environment props to the quality of the buggy. Environment modeling is the way to get your foot in the door.

welcome to polycount and don't get discouraged by the critiques, we're here to help! smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to polycount, Eric. Pretty good stuff overall, nice layout, everything is mostly in it's place, and that's good.

First off, go ahead and make this your main URL page:
    http://www.hitbyarock.com/erics_webpage/lowpoly-mods-pg.htm
    Since you're looking for a job, you'll want to get right to it. Mainly potential employers will be looking at this site. A direct, easy URL is the best first impression. Quick technical bug: all your page titles appear to be dephault text.

The piranafly and dunebuggy are your best two low poly works. The two ladies suffer from man-face, and your texturing is a bit too cartoony. Also, a few more 3d pieces would be great, 8-10 is a good number for portfolio pieces. Overall, your low poly works show a strong technical knowledge of mesh construction and uv layouts. I strongly suggest reworking the female character textures, and getting some more realistic pieces for variety.

The 2-D section is also very cartoony. Again, there is nothing wrong with this, but some realism shows a stronger variety in skill set making you a better choice for employers. In general, the photography section is kinda "meh", and doesn't really do much to help get a games job.

Keep moving forward with your lowpoly, consider learning some high detail for next gen gaming, and you shouldn't have any problems landing an entry level position soon enough.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey! Good stuff! I agree largely with what Justin said before.
    I would also say you should demonstrate some ability to work on realistic stuff as well. Most games are done with a realistic art style these days, and to exclude anything like that from your folio would be a mistake.

Keep up the good work!
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Thanks for the replys.
    I think nuking the into page is a good idea and I will dispose of it. My strong suite is not texturing for sure but I can model much better now and have not got a chance to put any of my recent stuff on the website yet.
    -I am in the process of doing another vehicle tho.
    -Props sound fun I might give it a try.

-Thanks again for the replys-
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Nice site - your low poly models are very well presented, but that page will be hard to update when you have lots more models. Remember that if your site is easy to maintain you'll be more likely to keep it up to date, whereas if it uses lots of complex custom images then you'll tend to leave it longer between updates.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I want to echo what others have said on the texturing. The piranafly and buggy are very strong pieces. The females are a bit weaker.

It's a fun style you have going on there, so I'd like to see you try to get it going well on some characters. Rather than suggest you work on some realistic stuff, I think you should work on this current look you have going. It's obvious that's what you enjoy, and I'd try to land a job at a place that has a similar vein of art. Never put something on your portfolio you wouldn't be willing to do. If you don't mind realistic stuff, than by all means add some to your folio. But if you really enjoy this more colorful and contrasty look, I'd pursue it and try to cement a strong confidence and comfort level in it that you can apply across all types of subject matters, so that you can show yourself to be a valuable asset to those few companies who work in this style.