Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bowlers

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Conor polycounter lvl 18
Some characters for a PS2/Xbox bowling game I worked on last year. 512 textures.

bowler_01s.jpg
bowler_02s.jpg
bowler_03s.jpg
bowler_04s.jpg
bowler_05s.jpg
bowler_06s.jpg
bowler_07s.jpg
bowler_08s.jpg

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    "Easy Dodds"? Because "The Dude" would have been too obvious?

The texture on "Background Female 2" looks out of place, especially the washed out highlights on the skin, no other character has those.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    KDR: not so much "too obvious" as "flagranty copyright infringement" smile.gif Moses is of course Jesus from the same film. Nicely put together Conor. While they were at it, why not some characters referencing Kingpin? smile.gif
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    The thing that immediately struck me is that the Background Male looks like the only one that was photosourced so he really sticks out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff all around, I really like these even though the only thing differents between these models and the characters in the film are the names, and even those come pretty close to hitting the source material =P

I have to agree with KDR about the texture on Background Female 2. Normally people think golden tan when they think chicks in bikinis but hey pasty white works too, I guess... She also has quite a lot of polygons in her chest/rib cage. I would also urge you to come up with a different face, and hair style since it's kind of obvious the background females are the same model just ever so slightly changed. Unless they are the same character in different cloths/hair color?

Also Background Female 1 has a unaturally skin tight top on. Normally a shirt like that would stretch between the breasts rather than fall into every nook and cranny. This would also give model#1 less polys in the chest and provied a tiny bit if differenace they need to be seperate models.

On Background Male you take speical care to show a close up of his hand and the extra detail appiled to making the digits flexible. However he has the clasic lobster claw pose in the full body shot. If the rig is not there, then the polys are wasted and could have been used in other areas like his shoulders or even removed.

Moses, has his legs roated in the pose which gives him a giant flat crotch. I would rotate the leg back and almost lock his knees together, and rotate out just his foot. Then arch his back a bit and stick out his chest so he looks more arogant.

Really good stuff, you managed to stay consistant with most of them and maintain that level of detail that is pretty damn good =)
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    KDR+Gauss: I actually wanted to put in the Bill Murray character from Kingpin - but Big Lebowski was the only bowling film our art director (who drew the concepts) had seen :-)

hobodactyl - he is indeed photosourced. It's a famous bowler called Brian Voss. We originally had an AMF license for this game and were going to have real bowlers, but when we lost the license we had to do new characters, and I turned Mr Voss into a background NPC.

Vig - thanks for the crit and tips! All good points I'll bear in mind next time!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm kind of confused why none of these guys except for moses seem to be dressed for bowling?

The Easy Dodds character has a nice bulk to him, and I think the background female 2 has good silhouette going on with her body and legs especially. I think the rest of the models seem a little awkward in their proportions, and most of the faces seem a little awkward as well. Not necessarily bad, but just that you don't have a very high comfort level with them, if that makes sense.

The textures seem all over the place too. From almost cel shadded to realistic in some areas with the photos and wrinkle overlay on some of the fabrics. A bit more cohesive and unified approach would have helped make them stand together.

Any chance of some in game shots?

*ninja edit* Congrats on the shipped title!