Home General Discussion

Part time job help? :)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Well.. I'm turning my back on my IT career I've been in for 12 years and at 33, going back to school to get my AA in graphic design then my bachelors at a state school.. To my dilemma.. My loving wife is willing to support us.. (Thankfully!!) but I will need to get a part time job to fill in some of the misc expenditures (dining out, fun stuff, etc) ..

Now, ooo.gif I've started looking for part time jobs and really is kind of hard to find a decent part time job.. I thought it was easy when I was younger I thought.. smile.gif

I'd prefer to find a job learning something maybe design related maybe Kinko's, I'd at least learn alot of the printing stuff no??

Anyone got any ideas or hints for the pt job seeker? I doubt I'm good enough to do any freelance stuff.. I'd appreciate any pointers and directions anyone has for me, being out market for so many years I'm not sure where to start.. smile.gif

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I would recommend looking for something which isnt too physically exhausting so at the end of the day you can go home spend time with your wife and get work accomplished in what ever graphics field your interested.

Kinkos and other similar jobs is a good way to go,maybe even look for paid internships in what you do as well.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe if you had one of the larger bookstore chains in your area (Borders, Barnes and Nobel...) you could check there. Discounts on reference and study material would be a nice bonus. ;]
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oddly enough I just applied for a PC tech position over at EA Tiburon in Orlando, FL.. maybe it's enough to get me in the door.. smile.gif I'd have to drive about 70miles a day, but at least it's a start.. if I transitioned over there, I'd possibly go to school in the evening since I'd be partially where I'd like to be.. laugh.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, just realized I've come full circle.. That's just sad no improvement in almost 10 months laugh.gif

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...=true#Post19653

That's it, nothing but art coming out of me for several weeks.. I've pissed away too much time frown.gif
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Nothing wrong with career changes. I've done my share and my office mate is a lawyer who made a change to illustrator, and then more recently to game artist.

Current estimates are that modern workers will change CAREERS (not jobs, but careers) 3 times in their working life.

Best of success to you Dekard.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How wierd I went to college studying graphic design and quit to take an IT job at a Atari. Try some print shops? Not the strip mall copy shops unless you like dealing with customers. Maybe a place that actually does printing with presses or a bindery. I paid my way thru 2 years of college stocking presses and composing film (stripping). I mostly worked alone or with a small group of people. No pissy customers and they let me work nights and weekends.

They often pay better, but there is a chance you might end up doing some ammount of manual labor, but it depends on the job.