Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: cutesy character attempt.

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
This is an attempt at making a cute FFIX styl character. I designed it to be four heads tall and it's supposed to have the huge hands and small shoulders. I have always had trouble modeling this type of character, especially the mouth, eyes and nose. This is what I have so far. It currently has 4020 polys. Let me know what you think.

Alex

shiero_s.jpg
shiro01.jpg
shiro02.jpg

Replies

• Soccerman18
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty cute. The face I think needs the most work, those eyes and mouth are really creeping me out. The feet look small, and I think the ears would look better if they were more foleded down, like a cat's when it gets mad, rather than sticking straight out.
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, his eyes are also the wrong shape...not enough polies in the face for good animation

His forearms seem way to big...and come to think of it, you modeled him like he was wearing a suit, and in the concept, he has no clothes except his armor...you need to go back and model him like hes nekkid, then add the armor on smile.gif

***Edit
    Also you should model him in the pose he is already in...it's a good pose to use, and it would help us judge your model better becuase it would be direct with the concept

Also, your head is more of a circle, and the concept is more of an oval

other than that, its kidna hard to tell anything else really
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Not for nothin, but in the picture it looks as if his ear openings are pointing down. I don't see that in the model. Just sayin.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the feedback. I searched for some more FFIX reference to see how they handled the 3d version of their characters. Based off that here is the head blueprint I came up with for my character. I also designed his sword as well.

DarthRevanII the character is wearing baggy pants and I just eyeballed the mesh while I made a generic body so that's why it doesn't match the concept. Right now I'm more concerned with getting the face to work right as a generic model.

Let me know what you think.

Alex
    shiero_h.jpg
    sword_sh.jpg