Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Priss (BGC 2040)

RiOx
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RiOx polycounter lvl 18
Mesh standing at 3470 tris, skin using one 512x512 map.
Both are finished apart from some minor tweaking.
(And before anyone comments on it; Yes, 512x512 is definately
needed for the texture map to keep the lineart sharp, it craps
out on anything lower. I tried.)

I'm making this a high-quality Quake 3 model. (Hey, there are
4.5k models up and around, so a 3.5k should work right? grin.gif )
Already worked out a proper ingame cel shading using environment
maps as well.

priss_front_th.jpg priss_back_th.jpg

Any thoughts?

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    looks good, close to the original, although I'm not a BGC guru

I think the cell shading is pretty cool but may benefit from some more contrast on the metallic parts (almost white for highlights and dark grey for shadowed areas)

you could make it a cool ut2004 character using stock anims aswell IMO smile.gif
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/...9412#post119412

I am working her motorcycle... Its for a contest.

to your model. It is very cool.
  • RiOx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RiOx polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks good, close to the original, although I'm not a BGC guru

I think the cell shading is pretty cool but may benefit from some more contrast on the metallic parts (almost white for highlights and dark grey for shadowed areas)

you could make it a cool ut2004 character using stock anims aswell IMO smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but there are two hitches preventing me from doing so.
    One; I don't have UT2k4, so I can't test it or anything. And two; Stock anims would probably be a wee bit ugly, seeing as the foot and handpalm should not articulate independantly in this armor.

Come to think of it; It will be really interesting to do a proper crouch animation and proper gun handling animations on this model... Well. Atleast it's a challenge. smile.gif

@Jerome:
    Thanks for the compliment. ^_^
    Nice bike as well. Is it 2040's Motoslave or 2032's super bike? I can't really remember which one looked like this...
    Maybe when both are finished we should make a couple of combined shots. Would make for some nice footage, no? grin.gif
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    Its the one from 2040 i believe. It'd be cool to make like a 10 second short. But i've never animated... Maybe i should work on that.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks good from what little I know about the series.

I think the texture could benefit from being more than just solid colors and linework. I realize you said you were using a cel shader, but as it stands it's very bland and visually boring.

I'd try to get some kind of metal texture going on to vary up material types, some type of overlay per material. Then I'd work on enhancing all the small scale details. Use some layer effects or hand paint some glinting highlights along the edges. If you let the cel shading only handle the large and medium scale detail, but had more small scale stuff in the texture, I think it would read a lot better. It would also make it more visually appealing.

Be sure to show us screenies when you get it in game.