Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yay, I have a website

LordScottish
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
Hey there
I just finished the design of my website. Now I'll add some technical gimmicks like a newsscript. I was aiming for a easy and pleasant design without making it too normal. Any ideas are welcome. And if you find any grammatical mistakes feel free to post them here grin.gif
I'm going to scan some of my flyers/2d work next week.

http://scotty.inri.ch/

Replies

• _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    nice stuff really, good navigiation. You are on the jobhunt? If yes I would try to show off a bit more flexiblity and remove some weak work like the one character you have a the end AND your animations. No offence but they are not good enough, and compared to your folio a weakpoint.

The layout is very good. I am really like your work. Keep up the good work. some next-gen stuff won hurt

And feel free to drop me a line via ICQ
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Was taking waaaaay too long to load. I gave up after a few minutes...
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah takes ages to load stuff even on a decent connection.

Some of the work I managed to see was pretty cool, I would suggest making it faster as people tend to be pretty impatient when it comes to sites (I know I am)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    5 seconds loacding time isn't that big a deal.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    hmm maybe that be some issue with the swiss server...
    we knew it... switzerland has refused to be a part of europe, now they refuse to a part of the world!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm going to kill ya for showing such small images, Scottish smile.gif

You need larger shots, and LOTS of em. Showing 5 meshes on a 500x300 image isn't going to cut it smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff overall, but there seem to be some technical issues with the site loading. When scrolling around, it hangs for a while before refreshing to what I'm supposed to see. I checked out your source, but can't seem to pinpoint what you're doing wrong here. Even when I save your site to my hard drive it's still draggy and slow.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Shimmer! I think you're right, I'll remove those. It kinda sucks, all my recent work was contract work and I won't be able to show them for another year. Maybe I'll have to do another model on that level just for the website smirk.gif
    I didn't even notice the thing with the animation, but you have way more experience than me in this matter, so I'll just remove them.
    I'm not exactly on a jobhunt, I am trying to organizing money for a game and my aim is to have something like an online business card where the people I am writing to can check what projects I have been working on.

@aesir: I'll upload it on a german server today, that is really weird. It's loading smooth and fine for swiss people, propably the server is somehow slow for overseas connections. I'll turn on some more compression on the images to make the site a bit smaller too.

@Vassago: okok laugh.gif you mean all the images should be like the Black Hawk ones? The first 2 are made for a strategy game and wouldn't look decent if I would render them on big images.

@cholden: It does that to me when I just startet my browser and the browser is still loading. But beside that I can't reproduce this bug. Hmmmm, I'll try to find out what it is

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'll definately optimize the image compression a bit more and then upload some bigger images, eh vassago grin.gif And the animations will be gone too
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I dont think its an image compression problem. Frankly, I never even got to the images. Just loading the headers and what not took forever.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Great website. Larger more identifiable thumbs would be good, and much larger end result images would be awesome. Good layout too.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! Thats one hella sexy black hawk! :O
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff
    loads quiclky for me, less than 2 seconds
    I'm with poop, more identifiable thumbs, and larger images smile.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What browser are you using Aesir? I tested it on Opera and Firefox, I didn't check ie so far. Maybe there is some html syntax problem, sometimes other browsers ignore them while some won't load the site.

@poopinmymouth and vahl: Thanks! The larger thumbs are on my to do list as well, I'm glad to get some useful comments smile.gifI'm switching my room today and tomorrow, so I'll update the website within 4-5 days.

Thanks n30g3n3s1s, that bird was a lot of fun grin.gif I was so enthusiastic about the movie, I just had to do one of these
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Site looks good, nice work too man. smile.gif
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet to the eye the Black Hawk is, yes. And the site looks nice and it loads quikly here. I'm on a dsl line far up close to the North Pole smirk.gif
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    If you haven't tested your page with IE, you should do that soon. Your pages take almost a minute just to get drawn on the screen. I don't mean the page loading, I mean rendering, like when I switch back to that window, it has to re-draw the whole window. The problem is that your background image is a 1 x 2 pixel GIF, and when my IE tries to render that, I can spend 30 seconds watching the tiling GIF crawling across the window. And then it does the same thing in the table backgrounds.

It may work in Firefox and Opera, but I wouldn't count on that for your portfolio page. You should seriously consider creating a larger background graphic for a more efficient page render.

/jzero
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool jzero, I'd going to fix that. I would never have guessed this is the reason, the IE code seems to be rather inefficient confused.gif