Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

game character bust

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
something I started last weekend and finally got around to finishing last night...

bust01.jpg

bust02.jpg

texture.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I like it! Very good work.

My main crits are the eyes look kinda flat in the side view especially (and also the front a bit), also the flesh highlights are maybe getting a little washed out.

Cool stuff though, keep it up smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah really good work, agree with mops crits word for word.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    The only things that doesn't work for me (including MoPs' crits) is how the alphatextured planes looks to have some sort of border at the top + the very sharp edge on the top of the ear. I really wished you could have added a couple of polys there to smooth out the shape. Now when I look again, the red highlight in the hair on the back of his really makes the mirror obvious, maybe you could tone it down a little.

The jacket texture looks ace, keep bringing out the good stuff!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Real nice work man. The eyes might be a smidge far apart, and I agree about them looking flat from the side. Also, not sure why you made those cuts in his forehead on the uvs? Looks like they could have been welded together fine with only minimal stretching, and that would have eased both the painting stage, and you'd not have to worry about any of the mip map levels showing through in an actual game.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Whats with the very dark hair?
    Give it some highlights of white,brown and blue.
    For a 512x512 texture I would expect a little more fine details.
    Give the face,jacket and shirt a little more texture and it will be perfect.
    Other then that it looks good.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys smile.gif I don't plan on making changes, not because I think everything's fine but because I wanna move onto something else... this was just to take a break from another project I'm working on. But keep the crits coming!

Mop and Rhyno - I agree about the flatness of the eyes, the sockets are pointed too straight foward and should be rotated a bit.

Cubik - yeah, I guess I didn't spend enough time with the alphas for the hair... whoops. Thank for the jacket lovin... sadly it took the least about of time to texture LOL.

poop - I don't know why either... it wasn't difficult to get the seams blended at all... just didn't want any stretching, but I'm sure it wouldn't have even been noticable. And I wasn't even thinking about mipmapping problems. Something to keep in mind for future uvmaps.

CMB - because I wanted jet black hair! I think the face has plenty of detail (for me.. don't want things too exagerated), the jacket is just the way I want, and the shirt is pretty simple... but I like it smile.gif
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing work skrubbles!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    don't just rotate the eyes, they are not angles to the side, but form fit around a round eye ball, although the outer edge does wrap around further, maybe put a sphere in the scene to represent th eye ball, and use that as a guide,
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Hey nice work skrubbles, though you could improve it a lot with some simple tricks. I made a paintover in about 30 min. You may try to get more attention to some parts like the nosetrills and the lips. Also, with 1252 tris you could rely on the models vertex lighting more. here you go, hope you dont mind:

skrubbles_facebust.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    jeez.

don't mirror the eyes
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys

shimmer - cool paintover... thanks for taking the time. Like I said, this was just a quick model/texture, but I'll keep all this good info in mind on my next model

hawken - i know i know.... its a super quick fix though!

I'm out... bday fun awaits!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Happy bday skruby. wink.gif Bust looks great!