Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Something new..... maybe?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
sephirothrender25oy.th.jpg
sephirothrender35cs.th.jpg
sephirothrender7xj.th.jpg

tear it to shreds guys laugh.gif the harder the crits, the better ill get (especially with my texture work).

Replies

• TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TryForce polycounter lvl 18
    for me it seems like the belly got to many whored polys..
    also i think the alpha map could look better if you would try to make there more hair detail.....

also he looks to tall to me <_< buff him please abit up.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you know sephiroth was 6'1" right? i wouldnt considder him to be the most buff character either, toned would be the word to describe him, but not buff.

and how would you suggest i improve the hair?
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not quite sure how a person can look tall when they're by there self with no comparison? A person can be skinny and make them look a tad tall, but a model? People have proportion (8 heads tall, etc), so not quite sure how he looks any taller than usual..
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    maybe hes judgjing by screen space? =/
  • TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those pics might help you what all i mean:
    seph8io.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good, but there are many areas for improvement, in both the mesh and texture... well, you asked for it wink.gif

Take those polys out of the abs and put them in the shoulders. They'll never be seen in silhouette, and don't add any sort of detail that the texture isn't doing by itself.
    If you're gonna show him without his coat on, you really need to address those triangular shoulders.

His waist is reeeeeaaaaally narrow. Especially compared to how wide the shoulders are. That's probably what's making him look a bit "elongated", even if he's meant to be tall.

That's not what biceps look like. The ones you've modelled and textured here are far too big, the wrong shape, and in the wrong location - also, there are other muscles in the upper arm than the bicep, you know!

Techically the mesh seems fairly good, although the legs especially are getting very "linear" in construction, which isn't really a huge problem, i guess. However you seem to be kinda random with your poly distribution and edge flow, especially with regards to the torso.

The texture needs a lot of work. It's incredibly monochrome at the moment (like you've just put a midtone down, then used Dodge/Burn tools and nothing else to lay down the shading). If you didn't use Dodge/Burn, then may I say, NEVER pick just the same hue/saturation of colour and just change the brightness. That leads to the effect you see here - brown midtones, brown shadows and white highlights. Not natural, and not good-looking either.

You've textured the abs far too square - follow reality painting the texture here, not the hard edges of the mesh.

The neck is faaar too defined in the texture. It makes it really obvious that you don't really understand how the muscles in the neck work - there aren't two huge lines converging on the chest!

The cloth folds seem kinda random, not really following any of the rules cloth works from when it flows and folds. Especially the boots/legs are weird on this count. You have a shadow painted on when the mesh is clearly pointing upward and not obstructed by anything - that should be a highlight!

The hair looks very weird, but I don't think I can crit it properly without seeing a close-up render of it from a different angle. The monochrome problem applies here too.

Basically there's no colour!

Also you should work on sharpness and material definition. You're not indicating the physical differences with regard to shininess, hardness, smoothness in the texture - the cloth is shaded in the same way as the skin, the skin in the same way as the metal.

Sharpness, colour, understanding of the forms and why they are formed how they are is what you need to work on with this.

Don't just model a bicep how you think a bicep looks, or texture a neck how you think a neck looks - actually work out why they look how they do, then replicate and alter that. Same with cloth folds - there's always a reason they fold in certain ways, you need to realise how and why and when that happens, then apply those rules to your work.

Hope that helps a bit wink.gif

Keep it up!
  • TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O_o ... long text

well i do agree with you MoP but i dont think that the folds are random... they´re good placed in my opinion...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The ones on the front of the coat are OK, but the folds on the arms, pants and boots definitely look like they lack understanding of how folds around those areas actually work and look.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i understand what you mean MoP ill try and get it better smile.gif

however, (and this is by no means meant to sound stuck up... its kinda how i work). ill most likely use your crits on my next piece, rather than this one, as its already in game, the only thing ill be likely to change is the texture.

so all the mesh crits, ill save for my next work smile.gif so you can look then to see if im good/bad/indifferent heh.

also, could i speak to you on MSN? its a guitar related question =O
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The model looks a bit awkward. I'd try rigging it and trying to animate it a bit to learn about mesh deformations. The texture looks pretty good, and I like his face, but it's a bit monochromatic, and your lack of anatomy knowledge is showing in how you shaded his muscles. I'd try to brush up some more on anatomy. Also do some cloth or drapery studies.

Good to see you take it to completion though, just work on getting a better grasp on the above mentioned things.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I think the cloth looks pretty good but I think you could add a little more highlites and darkness to it (maybe some fake spec to make it look a little more wet could be fun). My biggest beef would be how you painted it to conform to the mirroring you have; it could use some more work. The shoulder peices are starting to look metalic but you need more metal streaks and a better gradation from light to dark. I think the flesh needs less dark lines seperating the forms (more sublte), and more color variation. Throw a light setup in there with shadows and render it out to see how a lightsource would be painted in. I think that will help draw the eye away from some of the mesh errors previously mentioned.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    argh! way to ruin that movie for those who havent stolen it! (*glares at everyone*)

looks like a decent model, but you could go for some anatomy studies, and really pushing that into your work. since you wont be revising this mesh, ok, but ill fire some stuff away:

- his head is mondo tall, almost like he has 1.5 heads, for a head.
    - he is crotchless, he legs just come together smile.gif you can spend the polygons, do it!
    - the texture overall seems a little rushed, and or you spent a lot of time in small areas rather than the entire texture. again, focus on anatomy studies.