Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern Soldier

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RE3456 polycounter lvl 18
This character is 4500 polys w/o the handguns, 5100 with the guns. 1 1024x1024 texture map. I want to import it into source engine and see how it looks under the real time environment however I'm not too familiar with source engine so if anyone knows any tutorials please let me know.

Any C&C will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Soldier1.jpg

Soldier2.jpg

Replies

• Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    im not likin that hugh bulge in the back of his head. He almost looks alien with it
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    umm doesnt the word modern imply that its in todays era? ive never seen a soldier in that field gear =O
  • RE3456
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys, hmm... yeah I guess the bulge at the back of his head does look weird at certain angles, maybe I need to round it a bit more.

Ahaha... I know it does not look like the soldier from todays era but when I build it I was aiming for something that's looks like a modern soldier but in a more unique style of armor, guess I failed confused.gifsmile.gif

again thx for viewing and keep the c&cs coming
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, you really need to work out the shape of the head. Right at the top of the forehead, the heads shape slants back/down way too much. That is the biggest issue with the model for me, and my eyes are drawn to it immediately when I glance at it. Gotta look good in every angle.

Another thing that throws me off is the grooves on his chest armour. The ones that are going diagonally from the side of the pecs toward his crotch really seem out of place and a bit crooked. Lastly on the texture, the whole thing seems rather greyscale. The face is the only part with any real color. Saturate the clothes a bit more, and maybe try to throw in a few tones.

Overall, its really quite good. Just a few small easy to fix issues with it that I didnt like.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    head does not bother me, looks like he just has a bit of hair pulled up under that bandana thing. the armor for the most part looks like a difrent style of modern, but certain aspects look a bit futuristic, mostly the boots i think. my main crit would be better lighting in the texture, or if he is meant to be well lit and shadowed by a good game engine show some renders with it lit how it would be in game, most part the textures look flatish now,
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    It looks like he's holding those guns in a very akward way. The way the thumb bends doesnt look natural at all. His hands also look a wee bit on the small side.

Other than that, its a nice, clean model. I think a normal map could work wonders with that armor.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I'm going to say my first critique is really that the design or the armor is a bit lackluster. Very monochromatic. Which isnt necessarily bad, but this doesn't appear functional, or stylish.
    You have some urban camoflage on his legs, but nowhere else. The other elements of his design are counter-camoflage. Be consistant 1 way or the other.

You've got heavy wear on the boots & legs, but nearly none on the upper body. Whats up with that?
    I was wondering about the head myself, but others have covered that extensivly.

Can you show the concept art from which you were working, or did you sorta do it on the fly?

I can see from this model that you have the technical ability to execute well, but this model falls a little short for me creativly & artistically. I would usually expect a more dramatic silhouette & design from a 4500 poly model.

Keep it up though! I see loads of promise. Try working from some strong concept art by other artists.

http://www.hawkprey.com/
    is a great & popular one.

Anyway, good work & good luck!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Check the placement of the ears. They seem a little high.

Also, I'm not sure where you managed to stick 4500 polygons there...I can see where htey are, but many of them don't appear to be doing any shaping.
  • RE3456
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, thanks for all the valuable suggestions guys.I really appreciated it. I got admit it, at this moment texturing is still my weakest point, I need a lot more practice on that. Thank you ScoobyDoofus for the website, I'm not much of an concept artist though I like to draw, maybe I will just do what you said, work on somebody else's concept and start from there. Anyway guys I really appreciated for all your C&Cs and I will keep working hard on my next model.

Peace
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yah good model, flow seems to be cool, though you'd have saved a lot of polies by removing some plate detailing, which can be done on the texture.

at this time the chest plates looks too close to a simple bevel and emboss filter (don't want ot be harsh here, just say what I see smile.gif) you could get a lot of detail just by adding small white dots/lines with the 1px airbrush where the light hits the plates, also if it's a military outpu, then it needs more scratches, look on google for some references on weathered metal/kevlar and fabric, add dust and all this smile.gif

keep it up !
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    I see the model and think... Unreal Tournament (1)
    Gonna side with Rick, on the polycount just seems a little too high for the detail. So much could simply be surrendered to being shown through the texture.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i agree with slash, the hands look on the small side, but overall it's a pretty good model. keep it up!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, the hands need extra shaping but besides that I really like the look of that model. Sleek and simple, nice.

Don't overwork it, just try to find out what the little extra thing might be (a bit of thinking about the character environement might help).

Show us more!
  • Mark Dygert