Home General Discussion

Castlevania: DoS

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
Wheeeeee! Fun game. If you have Aria of Sorrow make sure to plug it in when you start the game to get the Rare Ring.

It was even 5 Euros cheaper than the other DS games, Meteos is probably DOA now. Who'd want a falling-blocks game when you can have one of the best Castlevania games out there for less?

The ranged weapons seem a bit overpowered, I'm slaughtering everything with my Tomahawks at the moment.

Replies

• nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    How did the UK get it first??!? I'm sooo jealous. Been looking forward to it for so long now.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way, for those who are worried: The seals are pretty easy to execute and you can easily do them with a finger instead of the stylus.
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Woo hoo I'm getting my DS on my next paycheck! The games line-up is looking good. (PSP's is dismal tongue.gif)

Glad to hear DoS didn't disappoint, I was a bit skeptical when I saw the new concept art, thought they'd gone all cutesy but that clearly isn't the case. Any other games you'd recommend?
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirby is swell, and Bomberman is great if you have many friends. Just get the one cart though, everyone can play off the same one.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Just beat the last boss. Man, what a bore. No interesting attacks but LOADS of hitpoints. It took forever constantly chopping (okay, throwing sickles) away at him until he died. Eight hours recorded playtime.

Okay, now to catch all those souls and hope that the reward is as cool as AoS's Chaos Ring (infinite mana)...

The Julius Mode is much more fleshed out than last time but this time it involves actual levelling instead of "get stronger when you beat a boss". So it's less suitable for speedruns than Aria of Sorrow's.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    The..DS..games line-up is looking good. (PSP's is dismal tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, OKAY.....

Castlevania looks great, and I'll more than likely pick it up. It's about time they did that series justice again.
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Normally the 3D ones are a crime against man, but Castlevania: Curse of Darkness for PS2 and Xbox might just be a winner. I've seen a few movies where the main character is leveling up and doing all those nice SotN things. Should be swell, comes out in November stateside.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/castlevaniacurseofdarkness/index.html
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Hot damn is DoS good. Makes me long for the day games were pure gameplay...
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying this one as well. Is it just me, or this one much more challenging than the GBA ones? I remember flying through Aria in a couple of train rides, was kinda dissapointing. But this one seems to have a nice difficulty ramp.

I still hate the design Soma Cruz though. With his white hair, white coat and white boots; not very heroic. He reminds me of the keyboard player from Duran Duran for some reason...
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Once you go Alucard, you never go back.

Soma is quite lame, we were spoiled in SotN with Richter and Alucard.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Apropos Alucard, you played the Julius mode?
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    SOLD OUT. WTF

I tried to pick it up today but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they didn't have any. Doh.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    i dunno, this one seems like a breeze to me.. leveling up is a piece of cake.

it is a LOT of fun though, solid game through and through
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    when i went to pick up DoS they had 2 copies left.......cause only 2 people reserved it. Glad one of those people was me.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe: Levelling is less effective in Dawn than in Aria, I was roughly 20% higher level when I beat Dawn and had maybe half the hitpoints I had in Aria and did nowhere close to the damage (okay, I didn't use a melee weapon because throwing sickles + boomerang skeleton soul are MUCH more effective and damn fast).
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhotun polycounter lvl 18
    What a great game. Extremely detailed, well animated, fun, fast... a jewel smile.gif

DS power smile.gif

Cheers
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    just beat it and got the best ending. The second mode is awesome.....i love the whip. I wanna see a new 2D castlevania where the main character is a Belmont, and they use a whip....that would be nice....
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Bought it over the weekend. I like it so far but I do have a few complaints.
    There doesn't seem to be as many inventory items as in past games? It felt like I used the same weapon for over half of the game.
    I'm near the end (I think) and have seen 2 endings so far, by accident.
    The animations are great, though. Very smooth. Feels like street fighter 3 quality.
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, there are great deal less items. Any weapon worth using needs to be created by that lady. Some of those uber weapons she can create are actually pretty fun.

Oh and no harm in getting the 2 bad endings. You need to get one of them to unlock Julius mode. In that mode you can play as Alucard (still nothing like he was in SotN however).
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    just beat it and got the best ending. The second mode is awesome.....i love the whip. I wanna see a new 2D castlevania where the main character is a Belmont, and they use a whip....that would be nice....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh heck yeah. the julius mode is VERY fun... except I was hoping you'd get to play as the gun military guy too.. now THAT would have made the mode complete. smile.gif but also, a new castlevania with a belmont would rock.. all these new ones are pushing away the western influence that made castlevania the classic it was. They're still good games, but it's less and less an ode to gothic/romantic east european horror and more and more a blah story anime-horror.

the gameplay is always awesome though.

KDR 11k - the reason I found it to be so easy is probably because I collect everything. I was using the sickle skelerang combo for awhile, till I got the uber sword and matrix punches. I ened up being like... level 70 when I decided I had collected enough to beat the game. The sad thing is though, is that I had only been playing it for 10-15 hours total when I got to that point.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    I just couldn't go back to melee weapons after using the sickle/skelerang for so long. Melee weapons are so slow and force you to stop moving while you're using them. I can only imagine how annoying the attacks of Menace are when you only have melee range. Overall I found it easier to use the sickles and while it took forever to destroy menace the rest fell rather easily. Plus I didn't need to farm souls to make my weapon better.

AFAIK all the weapons from Aria of Sorrow are available again.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I just couldn't go back to melee weapons after using the sickle/skelerang for so long. Melee weapons are so slow and force you to stop moving while you're using them. I can only imagine how annoying the attacks of Menace are when you only have melee range. Overall I found it easier to use the sickles and while it took forever to destroy menace the rest fell rather easily. Plus I didn't need to farm souls to make my weapon better.

AFAIK all the weapons from Aria of Sorrow are available again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which guy was menace? the third ending boss? I never knew any of their names.

Also, I'm a collecting fiend, so I enjoyed the soul farming and the weaponhunt. I did use the sickles a lot on that thirdending boss, but the uber sword did something lik 200 damage for me at the end... using the finalguard soul made the rest of the game cake.
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't get the iron golem soul for the life of me. Must have killed the bugger at least 150 times with maxed out luck, etc.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't get the possessed table (name's different in the English and German translations), either. The ultra rare souls drop almost never. Damn annoyance. Perhaps there's a condition that makes the Iron Golem drop?

blankslate: Menace is AFAIK the English name of the final boss.
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Ouija Table? I got that early in the game.
    The one that lets you gain HP when you sit down?

How do I get access to the lower left corner of the map?
    Passage from the waterfall area seems impossible... there are spikes underwater and there's a huge wall blocking my way.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Dammit, I've got the same problem as Soul, can't get into that lower left area. I stopped playing when Shadow and FEAR came out, but I'm ready to get back into it.
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Either get the Bone Altar soul, or use a combination of first the Bat Comapany, land on the safe point and use a combo of the Puppet Master and Skeletal Ape soul.

I used the Bone Altar soul, seems like it's the only reason to get it.
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I knew I had to get some kind of soul.
    Thanks!