Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Basic male - low poly

Enix
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Enix polycounter lvl 18
Started this guy a 2 days ago and im up to the point where i think it is presentable. My limit for the mesh is 2000 polys, it is at 1800 right now, but will go up once I add some alpha planes for the hair. I definatly need some crits before I start the texture, so..if you may smile.gif

malebasemesh4rv.jpg

Replies

• MwK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MwK polycounter lvl 18
    thats looking cool. Some work on the meshflow of the face would make it look more good. and some little addition of edges at the pelvis area would also make it much better for future work.
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    Looks final fantasyish smile.gif

I want a skin smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure where all te polygons are going -but I suppose its the hands. You shoudl really address the distribution of your polygons - there are probably more in the hands than there is the rest of the body, yet the hands are a very small part of the human body.

What style are you going for? the proportions are out in a few areas.
  • TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TryForce polycounter lvl 18
    i really like dat! Gj!
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    @Rick: You think I should go for the 2 finger thing? I have always considered it, but never actually put the 2 finger [thumb and index] thing to good use. Well for this guy, I was just going for a regular citizen guy you might pass while walking to a store or something. Basically I was going with an open jacket thing, with some basic pants with pouch pockets.

The games storyline is not really supposed to support many main character, just regular citizens gearing up to fight off zombie creatures and huge bio weapons. For this guy, I was going for more of a guy in his mid 20's maybe 30's, with facial hair, kinda beat up cloths.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By style, I meant anime, heroic etc. But you say regular male, so you DO need to go back and check your proportions. Chuck an image in you background and scale that model correctly.

The problem I have with the hands is that they are rendered in higher detail, and you don't notice that, whereas the main body looks a little under detailed. I'd up the res up the rest of the mesh. At the moment it really doesn't look like 2000 polygons are being used.

A regular male?

Perhaps this will help you, a 2200 polygon male I built about 18 months ago.

tomwire.jpg
  • MwK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MwK polycounter lvl 18
    Hi.
    Rick, thats really nice model, i cant believe if it is 2200. really nice model and handling of polies. Do you check the counter when the model is in editable mesh right?

Thanks
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    not to stray from the original topic, but Rick: is that a 5 sided poly right above the eyebrow??
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    @Rick: No, my LIMIT is 2000, im only using 1792 at the moment. I could probally reduce it more if needed. And as for style, its supposed to be realistic, not anime.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good, if a little blocky. Soften some of those edges out, especially on the pants, if you're going for realistic.

Also, the head is too small, possibly the legs a bit too long (and feet too tall) for realism too - what reference are you using for proportions?

I'd agree with what Rick says about the polygon distribution - at 2000 polys you don't need all those extra little polys for perfect finger deformation - nobody will notice at that resolution anyway. Take some polys out of the hands and use them to add more detail to the torso and pants.

Keep it up.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Alrighty, good crits guys laugh.gif. Really helped, fixed the proportions to my ref, and the polycount is down to 1680 now:

sp32240920051844587nv.png

sp32240920051845110fj.png

My ref:

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/626/bryantref4pw.jpg

remember, i was just using this as a proportional ref, not an exact ref, i just liked his stance and his proportions, they seem very ideal for this type of character.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much much better - you might want to take a look at his Herman Munster boots thoguh.

The other that you can do is remove the symmetry. Don't be a afraid to grab those verts now that you have the shape and shift them around. The best place to do this? the bottom of the trousers - there is a lot of loose fabric there and it wont be the same on both sides.

I normally work thusly:

Define the bulk.
    Split in half
    UV map
    Mirror
    Flips the mirrored UVs
    Remove the symmetry
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Great Idea, I will keep that inmind after the UV. And I will fix the boots asap.

[edit]

Started the texture:

bryantskinwip9sa.jpg

I will be adding smoe alpha planes later for better looking hair.

[ok]

I just couldn't wait:

bryantskinwip24nk.jpg
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    A little more:

headbryant7nx.jpg

I am really enjoying this, surprising because just a few weeks ago I completly hated painting anything realistic.

headbryant26ja.jpg
  • TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow.... very owning!

nice style.... just the boy reminds me abit on you <_>"
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Enix, the edge under his eyes needs softening, it looks a bit weird... The irises look a tad too large as well. But the overall realism is getting there, keep the updates coming.

Rick Stirling, I was wondering if your basic male model is based on the main character in the BBC tv-series "Spooks" Matthew Mcfadyen? It looks a lot like him... A well done 3D model you got there.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz - yes, it was for the game spooks.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    The hair looks a bit too soft with that alpha. It's conflicting with the image because the hair is something you would see on a baby, or a cancer patient who is growing their hair back in after losing it all.
    Maybe try removing some of the blur and the fade from the alpha'd bits, and use some more solid strokes.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea good idea, it did look a bit too soft. I mapped the body and now im finishing up the head:

nwebryantava5vy.jpg

Added some blue and some harsher tones to teh face.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18

I think the face would benefit from more depth/shading and color variations. the lower lids are too different in saturation and brightness from the eyes.

I'm not really sure about the proportions aswell the legs seem a bit too long.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

A regular male?

Perhaps this will help you, a 2200 polygon male I built about 18 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

He looks a lot like Tom Quinn from Spooks (MI-5) Incidentally when is Season 3 going to be on DVD?

Scott
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I added some more color, alot more color actually...I might have overdone it....oh well, i got some fixing to do:

bryantfront4cc.jpg

nostrils4u2bh.jpg

badass5sz.jpg

dudebadass5kl.jpg

a few choice poses, hes coming together.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey this is beginning to look really nice Enix,keep it up.

I think you could get more colours into the face as it looks abit monotone,more blue under the eyes,red in the cheeks. This I think would help that head alot.

Nice work on the hair though that looks good,but could maybe use more highlights.

Hope this helps

john
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All his facial features are very big - they take up too much of his face, giving him a slightly belm look.

Scott - yup.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bryantfront4cc.gif

Here are the changes I would make to the face.
    1) The eyes need to be scaled down.
    2) The eyebrows extened toward the ear (not much just a touch).
    3) The flanges around the nostrols need to be more defined with shadows.
    4) The space between the eye/nose and the broadness of the nose needs to be thinned out. Move the eye in toward the nose. and Give the nose more shadow.
    5) The corners of the mouth have some heavy shadows that need to be turned down a notch.
    6) I'm not really one for mirroring faces unless you have to, doing it to the textures on the rest of the body is fine. But faces are rarely cemetrical. It's ok to mirror certain elements in the begining to get general shape and placement of features but something should be added to each side to make it different. Sometimes lighting is the easiest solution. Facial hair, eyebrows and the fold of skin around the eyes are almost always dead give aways there is mirroring. Painting these few areas seperatly is often a good way to break up the cemetry of a face.

Faces are some of the hardest things artists have to paint and you are off to a good start -)
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhhh, great crits guys, its helping alot smile.gif. I reshaped his face a bit:

bryanthead37sj.jpg
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I got some good crits on MSN laugh.gif

bryantfixz0red6ga.jpg
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
    That newest update looks MUCH better Enix, great job so far!

I have a few things I think you should adjust though:
    -Eyes need to be smaller, as well as pupils.
    -Eyebrows need to be longer horizonally and a tad smaller vertically
    -Perhaps add more detail like a more defined cheeck bone, top of the forehead, etc.

It's coming along nicely.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    I think your wrong about the eyes taimaishu, the eye size is ok. If anything the eyes are to small. The iris is to big thats for sure. smile.gif You may need to bring the bottom eyelid up a little bit in the middle. The eyes are to far apart, you should space them out so there is a gap equal to one eye in the middle.

Right now he almost seems to be holding his jaw back into his face as far as he can. I think its because his bottom lip is shaded near the corners to much. If you bring the highlights around a little bit more and then highlight his chin a little on each side I think it will define his chin and make it pop out some.

Thats just my 2 cents. smile.gif Take it or leave it. Its looking much better each time you update! Keep at it.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    his upper lip looks dirty :?
  • TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <_< his eye brown makes me watch it all the time...

um fix the line in the middle of the face.. and make eyebrown abit smaller wink.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Quick terse crits cause Im tired: (sorry in advance if dickish)

Eye shape seems wrong, too round. No eyelashes?
    Eyes are a bit big, but I wouldnt go as small as Vig did.
    Eyebrows are bushy, like caterpillers are sleeping on his brow. He has Chia-Hair. Way too fuzzy/bushy with no descernable hairstyle. Ears seem too low. Upper lip detail does read like dirt/underage mustache to me.

Not that its a terrible thing, but the whole guy is a bit monochrome. all shades of tans & browns. Its like the q2 color palette. Not enough skin color variations.
    Also, you should post the flats. That'd help critiques.

Good work though! Keep it up!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I like the model right now a lot more than I like the texture.

The softness in the texture is lending itself to making him look very young. I'd add in some harder edges, and some type of overlay to give it some grit. The jacket and shirt are looking cool, but like Scooby said, I'd give it some variation so it doesn't read so monochromatically.

Right now his hair, and his eyebrows, is reading as really soft and messy, not really like a volume. It seems like goose down instead of a mass of hair.

Overally you've really improved it from the first shots, but keep pushing it. You're getting there!