Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spectre M4

Kitteh
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
Did I already post this here awhile ago? Probably, lol.

Tell me if it's ready for unwrapping.

pc17qd.jpg
pc26wo.jpg
pc36va.jpg
pc43dz.jpg
pc59lp.jpg
chamber57gq.jpg

How would I go about fixing those smoothing errors around that long rounded indent along the side of the reciever? (besides assigning it to a different smoothgroup - i want that edge smooth!) and yes it's chamfered there.

chamber is probably missing a lot of details, if someone could draw me up a quick diagram that would rock smile.gif

Replies

• -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    Look's good kitteh, I'd say its ready for unwrapping!

Concept?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks like one of the guns from goldeneye to me wink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wires, we can't tell how ready it is for unwrapping without a peak at the wireframe =(
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed, as Vig says, wireframes would be nice - hard to tell mesh construction without 'em!

The shapes of the gun look good, well, it looks like a gun (dunno how accurate it is, I've never seen a real one).

Something that strikes me as a question to be asked about this is - what is it for?

If it's an in-game model, it seems to be too high-poly - lots of unnecessary smoothing and rounding out of edges.
    If it's a high-poly model or for normal-mapping, then it doesn't really have enough fine detail or enough smoothing yet, and doesn't seem to be made with sub-divided polys.

What's the polygon count on it? It seems to be occupying an odd middle ground that is neither low-poly in-game model, nor high-poly normal-mapping/high-detail mesh.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Addon model for a really old game (Half-Life 1)

I'll post a wireframe soon.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Um... seems a bit high-poly for HL1... what's the polygon count on it?
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea, nor do I care.

Just tell me if it looks nice wink.gif

I'm not worried about optimization with this specific model.

edit: also i dont feel like converting out of editable poly :P i have like 10 different objects
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    if you dont care, why do you ask opinions. just unwrap the model, texture it and come back when u got a model you want honest crits and opinions about...
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    The handle (the one the triggerguard connects to) isn't round like you have made it, it's actually flat on the sides. Besides this small flaw the model seems accurate enough, good work.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    No idea, nor do I care.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should care if it is above ~2800 polys, because you won't be able to compile it anymore. Our coder even edited the hl1 compiler, but then the engine crashes. confused.gif
    Nice model!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Select all the objects, to got the Utilities tab -> More... -> Polygon Counter. It'll count triangles of any object you have selected.
    If you're making models for game engines, you *need* to care about how many polygons they're using. Especially older engines like HL1. I believe there's actually a vertex limit on segments of MDL files, so you might find you can't import the model at all.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model is WELL under 2800 polygons. I've seen much more detailed stuff work fine in the HL1 engine.

MoP, I know how to use the polygon counter. But I have a lot of ngons in some places so the pc might not be too accurate. And I don't feel like converting all the editable polies to editable mesh.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Like I say, it counts triangles perfectly, no matter how many N-gons or Editable Polys you're using. You'll notice that the little radio button under it has the option to "Count Tris" or "Count Polys".
    If it's set to "Count Tris", then, wow, guess what - it counts all the triangles in your selected objects! There's no need to convert anything to Editable Mesh.

So, again, what's the polycount on it? Could you take a screenshot of the viewport with the polygon counter window open in it? I'd just like to know.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    depends on what version of max you have but the newer polycounter counts triangles OR polygons.

Ive seen models that are accualy higher than that too kitteh... but that dosn't mean it makes sense. Polycount isn't really the community you want to be pimping stuff at if you're going to be modeling weapons in some weird middle polycount range. Of course don't stop modeling or anything but some of the people here don't really take well to weapon modeling. Like its looked down upon on or something... which it shouldn't be.

Post wireframe renders, you can't tell hardly anything from that somewhat self illuminated render. Kind of seems like your hidding bad smoothing by not allowing the shading to go full contrast.

If you want help, wireframe renders will get you help.
    If you're looking for "oh my god" praise then polycount won't get you that kind of response.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, we certainly don't look down on weapons models. I believe wannabe posted some work recently, as did some other artist (I recall Lonewolf's work, I think) and got a lot of praise.

You just seem to be ignoring what everyone's saying, though.

This weapon seems to be in a silly limbo-world between low-polygon and high-polygon modelling. It's not really what games these days are using, especially not something as old as the HL engine.

Basically, if you want any good feedback, post some wireframe shots of the model, and give an actual triangle-count of the mesh. We can't help without that info, really.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    True that mop, we dont look down on weapon models. Yes, lonewolf and wannabe are quite amazing. wink.gif I guess just looking at so so many weapon models only the extreamly professional get praise. Just wanted to clear that up.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    unfortunatily all of the images but the last one are down right now so I can't add my feedback on the model.

However Kitteh whatever the hell you do..DO NOT!..I repeat DO NOT....ignore these guys....or for that matter argue with them.Especially about soemthing as trvial as polycounts.

Also a more detailed model doesn't nessarily mean a higher polycount,its just a question of how well the polygons are used to create shapes needed to create the object you want.

N30/Mop:- I wouldn't say polycount looks down on wepaons...as mentioned wannabe and lonewolf both post exstremily nice weapon based art and get alot of praise for it.But then I also got alot of feedback on my weapons pack I completed recently. Nowhere near the quality of wolf/wannabe but I got alot of advise on how to make my work better,which at the end of the day is exacly why im on this forum.

john
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    uv got loads of stuff that u could add with texturing or normal map , so i quite dont see what ur trying to achieve, and saying it is for HL1 its simply insane .