Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Website/Portfolio Pimp

motives
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
motives polycounter lvl 18
hey guys.. I been working on this website to showcase my work etc.. thought u might have some ideas on what i could change or make better for the final version

http://student.nackademin.com/dg04212/johanlundmark.com/index.html

Things i know im gonna fix:
write something smart on the frontpage
create a better logo
create more CONTENT!! confused.gif

So, who would give me a job based on that webby? tongue.gif

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Great layout!

Make your 3d page your main page, and put a clickable email address on that new main page. This way all you need is your main gallery and resume pages. Employers LOVE this. There's nothing more annoying than clicking around to find someone's portfolio or contact. Make this SO easy to find it can't be found on accident. Also, if you can simply that URL, that'd be great.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Nice slideshow windows, I love being able to page through and see all your pieces one by one, and the alternate view links are great as well. But I think a few of the window "next/previous" links are busted. Try clicking through everything to see if it works right.

A good start for a good portfolio.

/jero
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice simple layout, good content I love it! The only crit I have is that the wireframe render-er you are using doesn't display ALL the edges, making things look more low poly than they really are.

The next/previous buttons work for me /shrug
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, here is a negative point - you don't have very much work to show, which might NOT be a bad thing. However, you have used small thumbnails and filled the space with empty "placeholders". This has the effect of emphasising how little work is actually there.

You could add more work, but this isn't a good idea - you'll overwhelm the visitor with a lot of work. Looking at Rors or Piors or even my (old) portfolio site you'll see that we don't display very much art.

Easy fix? Make the thumbnails bigger.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the feedback guys. I have updated the site now, tryin to mash all suggestions in there smile.gif
    (same link as in first post)

put a mailadress on all pages and made the gallery my mainpage. I also renamed the pages some and rearranged it just a bit. I figure the actual layout is pretty close to finish as it is now.

I also made the changes you suggested Rick, good call on that one.. Looks less like a imagedump and more like a folio now me thinks smile.gif

Also new URL is on its way. I actually have one registered but havnt decided on what webhost im gonna use.

Oh and Jzero was right about those links beeing busted, I noticed it myself and fixed it so I guess you guys got to look at two different versions. Should work now though
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry to bump this but just got my spanking new URL up and running! (childishly happy)

www.johanlundmark.com

update your bookmarks :P
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff motives, nice URL. As stated, better thumbails and a few more pieces. Keep it up!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Just gonna echo what's been said so far. Better, more descriptive thumbnails, as well as clearer links to the texture flats would help. Just having them as a sublink doesn't work as well I don't think. Keep them there, but also add direct links from your 3d page would help. More pieces too, right now it's good, but seems sparse.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, thanks guys! However im a little confused about what you mean by better thumbnails? size and shape of the actualy thumbnail or change the motif?

and poop, yea i know its sparse smile.gif im workin on that heh

If i may ask, what do you guys think is lacking in my collection of work? As a employer lookin for a environment/props guy these days what does he wanna see?