Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character: Little Guy

MwK
MwK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MwK polycounter lvl 18
Hey Everyone, here is a model I have done who is called Little Guy that I did for a group modeling challenge at threedy forums. I am onto texturing it. I have just roughly painted up the texture. I havent added any details to the skin and i need suggestions and help on what kind of details should i add as i have not yet thought about the skin detail. I hope to post an update tomorrow that i will do laters tonight. Its 3030 tris at the moment.

Here are the pics of the model:
Modeling - http://threedy.com/site/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=80870&stc=1
Uv - check - http://threedy.com/site/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=80968
Uv Flat - http://threedy.com/site/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=80969
Model Tex - http://threedy.com/site/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81969&stc=1

I need suggestions inorder to improve the texture of my model.

Thanks

Replies

• MwK
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. I quite like it..no crits because...i'm not one to be giving them.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Overall, pretty good. Especially if you are starting out. About the only things I would suggest is to not shade with black, but pick wither a darker value of the color to give it a little depth, or a complimentary color for the shadows, so it doesn't go all dead grey.

In terms of the model, what is he going to do? He had a nice, and very efficient mesh for his shape, but there is not a lot of accomodation for animation and would lead to stretching in his arms, knees and feet. You may want to add a few more edges (lines) aroundhis elbows knees and ankles.

This was done in Maya?

Scott
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nice looking character. I really like the expressive face you've given him.

Looks like you've got a fair bit of poly wastage going on there, particularly in the chin area and on the face. It looks like may'be you're trying to describe too much detail with geometry too that could easily be textures - the sleeves for instance and on the face. You could use all those extra polys and add the arms to detail them up a bit better.

To add to what Scott Ruggels mentioned, the fingers would probably rig better modelled in a relaxed position like the arms. Bending the elbows a little is generally good for rigging purposes too.

Texturewise, he's looking nice for the most part, but if you're entering this in a comp, lets be a little pedantic. I'd try and get rid of the seam on his wrist for a start. The legs are quite odd. either he's we're flesh toned pants or his got really fat blubbery legs. I'd suggest changing the colour so that theres no question that they're an item of clothing as is suggested my the way you've modelled it. Painting some wrinkles into the cloth would also help.

Toe and finger nails look a bit funny. Given they stand out so much it might be worth grabbing a reference and making them more realistic with a little flash up either side if the nail.

Anyway, I've gotta get to work, but that should get you going. Good luck with the competition.
  • MwK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MwK polycounter lvl 18
    thanks everyone for replying and posting your suggestions, i really appreciate them and i will work on my model as much as i can.
    It was only modeling challenge btw.
    I hope to update my model soon. Though i am thinking to stop working on this model for a while...
    But after a few updates.

Please post your suggestions.

Thanks
  • MwK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MwK polycounter lvl 18
    Hello everyone. I just have done some work on the texture for the model. Here is a pic
    texrender040hh.th.jpg

Post your suggestions please.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Why does he need a crutch? His arms are long enough to be his own crutch.
  • MwK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MwK polycounter lvl 18
    Here is an update --- Near to be Called Finished.
    Progress - 01:
    progress018bf.th.jpg

Dekard: He will hold the crane to help himself in walking.

Post Your Suggestions please.

Thanks
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This is pretty cool!

I like the face, it has a lot of character and style.

Some crits:
    - The arms and legs don't seem to match - he has long thin, well-muscled arms, but short, fat, blobby legs. This doesn't make much sense to me - surely his legs and arms would appear similar with regard to fatness or muscle?
    - The shirt he's wearing is a little boring on its own - maybe add something like a necklace with bits of wood on it, or some stitching on the shirt, or something like that. Also, the folds painted onto the texture don't look very natural - they just look like painted lines of light and dark at the moment - look at some reference of how cloth folds in that type of shirt, and try to replicate how the light falls on those folds, to give it more depth and believability.

Overall pretty good work, keep it up!
  • MwK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MwK polycounter lvl 18
    Mop, Thanks for replying. I will try to work on what you have mentioned but i have few words to say.

As this was for a friendly modeling challenge on threedy forums, we did get ortho and a 3/4 drawing of this guy so we had to copy the same thing and do it in 3d. Now about the folds, i will search up on internet for the folds of clothes. And yeah i will add chains :d

Please post your suggestions and any critics.

Thanks
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Cool little guy there MwK. Does he remind anyone else of the old show Dinosaurs for some odd reason? Maybe it's the mouth or the eyes that reminds me of the baby...
    http://www.df.lth.se/~ola/pictures/sinclair.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Your shading looks weird on the texture. It's not really following a lighting source, so it's making his skin look muddy and blotchy. Try unifying that light source. Face is looking cool, but the dark eye sockets take away from it in my opinion.

Interesting shirt design.