Home General Discussion

San Diego rocks.

A couple of you may know i flew out to san diego last friday to do some onsite work and meet with some publishers about our game, well everything seems to be going fairly well and it seems like a great area so im going to be moving out here as soon as i can find a place to rent. I cant get on irc because of the firewall here at the office so im actually posting in GD(OMGLOLEZ). So uhhh... yeah, anyone in the area or anything and can recomend a good and cheap place to rent? The studio is in del mar.

Oh yeah, check the boanerges studios thread in hiring if anyone wants to work with us and our AWESOME mortal kombat II machine.
mk23gk.jpg

Replies

• Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    You have an MK2 machine. I hate you so much.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I hear echo's of "Finish Him" in the background now....
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Defineatly THE best MK of the series.
    You suck laugh.gif
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    Hey EQ, I was in SD earlier in the week looking for a place, too. I'll be working in Del Mar as well, but I ended up going for an apartment on the edge of downtown, since I like the vibe and it was the same price range, if not cheaper, than some of the beach communities. But I do increase my travel time, so, that'll be a price to pay.

I'm not a local (yet), so I'm no expert; this was based on me driving around with a handful of listings comparing prices to the area:
    Rent everywhere seemed to be about ~1000+ for a studio; sometimes less if you end up in a big building and can get a room closer to ground level. I found some places that were ~875 in the Clairemont Mesa Blvd area between the 15 and 805, but they weren't too safe looking--nothing more than converted motels, with no security. La Jolla was a really nice area around UCSD, but can be a little pricey (hell, everything is, though... so... bleh.)

I was asking people I ran into there where the cheaper places are, and they say head east or north/south away from the majority of the population. Chula Vista and Oceanside where ones that were recommended, but Chula Vista can be a long-ass haul to Del Mar and I've heard some areas of Oceanside are not so great, but everyone has a different "not so great" threshold, so it's subjective. Encinitas is nice and close, but kind of pricy. But you might be able to balance that with driving less and saving money. I dunno, there's a lot of factors when deciding, obviously.

This might help, but I also found the little apartment guide book pretty useful that you can pick up in an Albertsons grocery store or whereever.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    San Diego now smells just that much worse.

Enjoy yourself, you dirty hippy. XD
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    too bad the chargers are 0-2 now, lol
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I was actually in the Gas Lamp district over ther weekend. Loads of fun, and the zoo was really impressive. Definately love the city.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I should come down and check it out, EarthQuake, Im just up the street in Cardiff. The city definatly rocks, I like North County more, the Gas Lamp district is nice, I'm not old enough to drink yet, so maybe my opinion will sway =)

Sony Online has some pretty sweet arcade machines in their offices too, I think they have a Mortal Combat one as well.

As for renting, geez..it really depends how much money you have..everything in the North County area is very very expensive since were so close to the beach.

Oceanside might be the least expensive, but it isn't the nicest area.

Where in Del Mar is the studios located?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, your priorities are pretty whacked. You are in San Diego, and you send us a picture of a frigging arcade machine? Send us pictures of girls in bikinis. San Diego has some of the finest looking women known to mankind, and none of them wear much clothing.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Just set up a shanty on the beach with camo netting. You're in CA so who needs a shower? Patchoulli oil works great on B.O. I hear. Congrats on the gig BTW.