Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Outhouse WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cay030 polycounter lvl 18
First time posting on here, ( i know i should have been before, just lazy i guess ) But anyway here's a outhouse i came up with , there's still some more too add on the textures a friend told me to add some S$%t stains on the inside of the outhouse, so i still need to do that. But anywya if any one has any crits or comments please feel free to post them. And i'll keep you up too date on this thing.

cabin_rock_render_addon_512.jpg

Chris Youngblood

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure why you've posted a screengrab/render that has been scaled up by what looks like 200%, but it looks good.
    I really like the lighting, and the textures seem well done too.
    I'd recommend just rendering or screengrabbing at actual resolution, though, because giant aliased pixels never made anything look good smile.gif

Keep it up!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Why is your presentation so aggressively blurry? It looks like your rendered your scene, then scale the image up before saving as a jpg.

Few things: never seen an outhouse with windows, they usually have a crescent moon shape cut into the door. It's also too wide, and the reuse of wood slats on your texture is noticeable. Also, you could use the texture space for one brick wall for both of them. Otherwise you're mostly spot on, though could put that texture to more work.
  • cay030
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was the photoshop image , thats why its so big and blurry it was at 1024. But i updated it with a smaller size. As for the texture and the window's, yeah they have a cresent moon shape, but i was changing the look of it. And as far as the textures yeah they couls stil luse some more work, more dirt on the ground near the door, the stains and maybe grass as well.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    check out Matabus's gallery (hope you don't mind)
    It's best to approach environmental modeling like doing level design as opposed to doing a character.
  • cay030
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No i dont mind , thats some great work he has there. thanks much.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hehehe, I was asking Matabus if he'd mind, but now that I think of it, why would he?

I'd lose the crate, maybe put a bush or something next to it, crates are way overdone in games, why is the crate next to the outhouse anyway?

you could probably rearrange the texture so it could be used on other models as well, I could definately see those textures making up a well, all you need to ad is a rope texture.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's a crate full of toilet paper, of course!

Now that I think about it, yeah, the windows are kinda odd... not what you'd expect to find on an outhouse like that.
  • cay030
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There we go that's using our imagination, LOL. Yeah i know crates are used alot, maybe a dead body leaning againt it, like he never made it to the bathroom. LOL
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, that looks better. BTW, welcome to Polycount, nice to see another from Colorado. smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    ...the window's, yeah they have a cresent moon shape, but i was changing the look of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    hehe, so everyone would say "that looks wrong" or so people can watch you pee or poo from both side? wink.gif
  • cay030
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a aupdated render with different lights and grass now.

New_Render_Outhouse_wiht_GI.jpg

Chris Youngblood
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see a whole lot of difference... the new grass is looking a little stiff and artificial... too confined to certain areas and uniform in length.
    Also i just noticed now, the window texture looks more like mud or rock than glass?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    mispelled your name there on the base of the model.. ;D
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Honestly I'd take out the windows all together. I don't think they are adding very much. I'd use that texture space to make good wear and tear for the wood to keep it from looking too tiled.

I like the grass, but like Mop said, not enough of it to really work well.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    the texture is a bit washed and blurry imo. I really think some quick adjusting of levels and contrast in photoshop would make em stand out more.. might run some unsharp mask filter over it at places also

edit: hmm i couldnt resist givin it 2 mins in PS:
    texture6eh.jpg

what i did was apply an unsharp mask and a bit of noise, adjust the levels slightly and then raise the contrast a bit .
  • cay030
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doh, damn didnt even notice i spelled my name wrong. I redid the image with some changes, Highpass filter, saturation, etc. New_Render_Outhouse_wiht_GI.jpg

Thanks again

Chris Youngblood
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, the toilet has been there for some time as have the wallas. Therefore the damp and wet ground and grass would be creeping up the walls and sides of the toilet. So what you want to do is really work in the dirt at the bottom.

In environment modelling your really want to prevent joins between the ground and the architecture, so you blend them together. It'll just ground the whole thin in reality.

The toilet will be used, so there will be a path leading to it. It'll have rained and people will have pished all over the floor, so the inside is likely to be muddy, or dried mud at the very least.

As for the windows, I'm with everyone else, take them out. But if you want to keep them, at least go for an opacity map so that they function a little bit like real windows.