Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

medieval town

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
This has been in the WIP for a while now but as i keep getting the same response to it i decided to make its own topic.

I'm making a "next gen" medieval town. I'm making it by making secionalized parts that can be put together in diffrent ways to make lots of diffrent types of buildings. Once i get all the parts finished thats when i'll start going back and ungrooping the parts, optimising and cleaning up the geometry. Rite now i still have the shingles and the torches to make. So i havent optimised the building and the lighting is temp as well.

here is the newest render.
medievalren5.jpg

Replies

• The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
    wow, its a good render..but it looks familiar for some reason. kinda looks like a building i saw in a milkshape tutorial..anyways,whats the info? program..etc.(great textures btw)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That'd be your archetypal Gothic town house. You would have seen buildings just like this in any number of fantasy games.

Looks good so far TGZ. What sort of stats are you working towards for the next gen system?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Looks decent, but a few crits.

1.) randomise the stone facings a little more as they ook repeated.

2.) You need a bitmore weathering, such as vertical streaks from the plaster hahed over the wood, and dark streaks against the plaster itself where the wood has channeled running water onto the wall (Below vertical and diagonal posts) A little shipped plaster near the door (flakesd off when it's slammed), showing some of the vegetable fibers used to stiffen the plaster, sticking out

3.) Nothing ever was pure "white" back then, except new fallen snow. As such either yellow or grey the white.

3.) Windows back then were either made from tiny pieces of bubbled glass in leaded channels (Diamond pattern), or they were just Heavily waxed paper to let the light in. Glass was expensive and of poor quality back then.

4.) a little rubbish and dirt around the bottom of the walls to blend it in with the street, would be nice.

But over all an excellent piece of work.

Scott
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Too many hard edges - blend the building into the ground, blend dirt into the all the joints.

Some bits are too uniform - make the joists more organic by pulling them a round a bit, make some bits sag. Alter the UVs so the the hinges don't look like they were put on by spirit level.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking of making some decals of localised grit and grime. That should give the some more character. As for getting rig of the uniformity, that would cost too many polys to get to look good. How ever i think i might be able to throw on some more dirt onto the stuco like stuff.

medievalren7.jpg
    For now i'm saying srew the torches and moving onto the building the rest of the buildings.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might not cost too many polys at all - but I dont know cos you haven't posted a wireframe. I'll bet you that I can show you how by adding no polies and by adding about 50.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick all the beams are boxes, other than that everything else is made up of planes. I'm thinking i might as well bake in the cross beams, but i like the effect of moving past it.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Its comming along tgz. smile.gif I don't really have any extra to add whats already been pointed out. Keep up the good work man.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, see those beam boxes? tilt some of them a few degrees. Make some obvioulsy fatter, some thinner. Make some ends fatter than others.

And post a wire wink.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea, i'll do that.
    I'll post some wire shots when i get some of the buildings finished tommorow, i promis. Rite now it would just look like a mess of wasted geometry.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comments:
    Looks good!
    The texture work is really pretty good

Crits:
    Windows back then where normally wooden shutters covering a hole. Sometimes the shutters hand a small dimond cut into the center to let light in.
    Remember a lot of the referance you will find today will have retro fitted buildings so things like glass windows, modern doors with modern hindges will have been added. As well as fresh coats of plaster/paint.
    The overall look a bit too clean, but this could work to your advantage, you can have a new and old section of town just by making a new texture set. Dirty skungy for poor town and nice new for rich town.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    medievalren8b.jpg
    I added a huge amount of dirt to the plaster. Tell me if its too much. Or of its too easy to see that its tiled.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think that's maybe a bit too much dirt. It's also making it obvious that you've squashed/stretched the plaster texture on the different-sized areas, which looks kinda weird and fake.
    Like I say, offset the UVs (this applies to the stone, like I said earlier, and the plaster too) so that the textures aren't so obviously tiled and repeating.

Like Rick said, the hard eges definitely need fixing, like around the base of the house, it needs some mud or plants or something to break it up a little. Also, the paving texture seems a little small.

Actually, on that note, all of the scaling of the house seems a little weird. If we say the doorway is under 6 feet (2 metres) high (which is reasonable for a medieval doorway, people were short back then)... then those upstairs windows are about 5 feet high, which seems a little excessive. It also means that the 1st floor rooms are all about 3 metres high from floor to ceiling, which really doesn't make sense in a dwelling of this type - it resembles a cheaper inn, and they would usually have low ceilings and roof beams showing inside the building, and the ceilings in many of the first-floor rooms would slope, following the angle of the roof.

Basically, as Vig mentioned in passing with his "glass windows" crit, this doesn't look so much like a medieval house, as a modern recreation of what people might think a medieval house looked like.

I reckon if you want to really get an authentic look, you should do more research, and build the house the way they would have back then... stuff like the perfect beams and square edges everywhere just isn't really that typical of buildings of the time.

I'm not saying you should scrap this, but in future, if you want to make a recreation of something that existed historically, do a lot of research until you're happy about how things were built, what they were made out of, and why they were constructed in this manner - it'll all result in a much more believable and high-quality product in the end.

Keep it up.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    houseren1.jpg
    houseren2.jpg
    One done. That clean up took alot long than i expected. I agree mop, on my next building i'll try to correct more.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have more than enough polies to make the roof sag, and all these beams can be much more varied. It'll just add dept to the entire model.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do that as soon as my comp is back up and working. It died a few hrs after that post. Now i have to check my mail and polycount from my parents comp. I just hope i dont loose anything...as i never back up my crap.