Home General Discussion

Halloween Co-Op Idea

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Would a group of us be possibly interested in co-oping ALL the way through Quake 1 in Nightmare on Halloween? WITH, I repeat, WITH the soundtrack?

(No, I cant watch your end, but that music is perfect for Halloween).

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTT..

We can do a new game if you like, but nothing seems to really be as Halloweenish except maybe Stubbs, buts that's more funny than scary.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BUMP.. What about Stubbs the Zombie or Serious Sam 2 then if no one wants to do old school...
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    I'm up for quake1,
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well thats one. wink.gif But since I know nothing of running a Quake 1 server, dont you need quake world or something? Also, My upload speed isn't the greatest.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    yea i recently reinstalled winquake and did some speed runs of the game so I'd be in for it. It's been a long time since running a co-op server, but I'm sure we can figure it out or spend the evening pissing and moaning. If I dont come up with any big halloween night plans, I'm in.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Quakeworld's only for deathmatch, though ZQuake does have code for monsters and coop. EZquake's a good all around QW client. Please note that most qw clients and packs have effects and textures designed to "simplify" the game's look, for the so-called "professional quakeworld" players. (Yes, bright-skins are still being used in competition play)

Apart from the ever-so-different Quakeworld engines, there's a couple of shiny NQ (Normal Quake, or NetQuake) ones, though they lack most of the client-side effects, which means it'll be slightly more laggy.

Darkplaces (OH NO NOT THAT ANTI-TENEBRAE ENGINE AGAIN) has some well optimized netcode however. FTE Quakeworld can support normal quake progs however it does have a habit of crashing frown.gif but it does have server options for compatible netquake clients. Both clients have slightly different-than-regular player physics, though
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm potentially in, depending on how the time difference works out for me.. sounds fun
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is a Tenebrae client compatible with a normal quake co-op server? Since this is co-op and we are running modern machines, I dont think any of the optimized quakes will allow the fun.. We need one that still allows the CD music.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tenebrae and compatibility do not mix and that's why i hate it laugh.gif

Darkplaces is prettier (even more if you use a texture pack, though they have no sense of color imo so the shines look rather gray) and more compatible, plus it can use CD music, and ALSO ogg "fake cd tracks" for those who like to rip their cd audio to oggs and sort them by track number for the engine to play while you have some other cd in, though this convenience would benefit the lazy people who can't be bothered getting their cd in every time they play quake.

There is also a realtime light pack for Darkplaces that covers pretty much the entire game except the DM levels and has customized, pre-placed lights instead of the defaults. In most cases, this is faster than the usual "crunch the bsp's light entities" method it would use otherwise, because Quake doesn't have any "sunlight" feature in the lighting tool, and abuses alot of light entities for the outside areas, producing massive slowdown
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of us are simple artists. Any easy to install packs out there that dont have readmes that suck, or require mass renaming of files? That have a front end.

(Tenebrae still looks prettier IMO. But whatever is choosen it needs co-op support. Doesnt matter how good it is for DM).
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it's just pretty straight forward, if you don't want to play with flashy addons or mods. Addons can be installed in the id1 folder, for example the retexture project goes in the id1/textures/ folder extracted.

The most basic steps:
    1. install quake
    2. unzip <engine> in quake folder
    3. run <engine>

Controls and brightness can be configured in the menus. Most quake engines require a -width parameter for setting resolution (Darkplaces doesn't as it has EVERYTHING in the menu smile.gif )

I forgot to mention that Darkplaces has a master server as well, so hopefully finding a coop game (if a server has started) would be easy.

All NetQuake (not quakeworld) engines do support coop. Cooperative mode code is really in the progs.dat file, seperate from engine :P and the only engines that BREAK compatibilty that i know of is Tenebrae and Cheaphack (my own)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    just tested co-op WinQuake with cheap. I ran the server, and he would get pretty massive lag spikes. So it does work, but if we could get a better server we'd be set.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    cool beans, hope someone is interested with a good location and connection.

If anyone is up for more "testing" or just general online play,
    shoot me a PM or reply.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im up for some beta testing today.. Someone PM or message me in IRC.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    I pmed you a message on irc, answer god damnit, hopefully cheap is on for some of this
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so Cep can t connect to mine, but cheapy could. We need to see if bear or another can host for the day tommorrow. The darkplaces server/client seems to be what we are heading towards http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/darkplacesengine20051020beta1.zip

You just install in your main quake directory and use that client executable.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bearkub put a valiant effort into trying to get the server up tonight to work, but it just wasn't happening. Thank you for all who were interested.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    IT WORKS! IT WORKS!!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well can we get a shoutout right now for those that want to start? YOu will need the darkplaces engine for quake 1, which has a internal server browser to see the Polycount co-op

This is really last minute, so not sure if we can pull this off.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the latest version. Just unzip to your main Quake directory, and click on the darkplaces exe. Go to multiplayer and look for the Polycount server.