Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

website pimp...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
made a crappy website.. just needed a place to put all my stuff up.... the site dosent display too well on 1024x768 or below.. i need to work on that.. also i have a few of my meshes and ztools for download if you want to check them out.. or take your own screenshots and put it in your portfolio..

i wasnt going for fancy or even good design.. just something simple.. very simple..

http://www.arshlevon.com

Replies

• KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    looks good to me. nice and simple. I don't have to go hunting to find cool stuff.
  • Squirrely Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirrely Jones polycounter lvl 18
    what would be really cool is if you had the whole notebook there and instead of clicking on thumbnails you would turn the page so to speak to see the next one. Or you could have a bunch of sketched thumbnails or something. Your artwork is awesome btw.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man.. but i was kinda going for so simple its retarded.. no turning pages.. no flash..no dumb sounds.. no dumb animations.. no fluff.. just art and text.. i hate web pages in general so its really my anti webpage...
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    MAN!!! lol that site is STUPID looking! hehe no offense. it stands out, but I personally thought it was pretty stupid looking. Cool art though.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

Your content is great, really good stuff, but the page is very sloppy and almost unreadable. Giant scaled up thumbnails, random scribbles, it really takes away from your content, as though this page was made by someone that doesn't like you.

If you want it "so simple its retarded" put your gallery on the main page, and make sure ALL your thumbnails fit cleanly on that page without having to scroll around to see it all. Be sure that your email address, name and desired position are written out on this main gallery page as well. By giving the user all they need to see on the main page, it increases your chances of being discovered on accident. Finally, as fun as it may be, use "fags" and "homos" on the main page might be taken the wrong way by some people.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i donno.. Awesome art, ugly page? if i were you i would just but em on a black background instead of this. And get rid of all the ...............................dots
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay guys.. just for you i replaced my page with the mac OS X interface.. everything is now made of shiny reflective future plastic and makes the starship enterprise door opening sound when the you roll over the images..

actually your responses are exactly what i was going for.. i dont take myself seriouly at all and i wanted a page that conveys that.. now if i was selling myself to the highest bidder i would change my name to whore and have a fancy wepage.. i am not PC i am not making my page PC.. the hitler shrine is in the works.. next time i drive to whole foods in my mini cooper i will pick a hip website..
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    It's not an issue of being "hip". It's just sloppy as hell and looks like a geocities-hosted site circa 1996.

I've seen websites with this "style" that are much more cohesive and not sloppy.

Your art is great, but the site really knocks it all down a peg or two.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's pretty cool. Usualy you have a great website with textured buttons and not much content. This site is somehow the opposite of it. In addition it's almost impossible to come up with a never seen, original website anymore, so why not do it that way? I guess it's bold enough to be called art
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    my eyes... the googles do nothing! Nice art tho..
  • pairorat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pairorat polycounter lvl 18
    that pink makes my brain bleed frown.gif

i kinda dig the premise though. although low brow art (especially in flash) is just about as over done as the shiny plastic look.
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i dont take myself seriouly at all and i wanted a page that conveys that..

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job then. As a potential employer, I absolutely wouldn't take you seriously with a page like that. You've saved them the expense of an interview because you failed the personality test right on your website. smile.gif

If you ever get serious about having a portfolio that isn't openly hostile to viewers, listen to Chris Holden.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    If i were someone who reviews portfolios for game comapnies etc. i would end up at the spalsh screen and would close the page.
    My point, atleast put SOMETHING on the first page that would make serious people click your gallery link.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Good job then. As a potential employer, I absolutely wouldn't take you seriously with a page like that. You've saved them the expense of an interview because you failed the personality test right on your website. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

see this works great for me.. casue as a potential employee i would never want to work for someone who would judge someones character based on the colors and layout of ones webpage.. thats just like judging someone for the color of their skin.. and i have never had a problem with employment.. not even a "i am sorry we almost hired you but you dont know how to make emo band esque webpage".. most employers who employ game artists arnt looking for web designers.. that has been my experiance..
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    heh. I can't tell if you're being serious or not arshlevon. Not everybody will understand the irony of your webpage. Some also say that irony is dead... Anyway, you only have once chance to make an impression, and if this is the impression you make with people who know you, imagine what it will do with those who don't.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I found it pretty funny
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I'll send you an offer once I recover from my seizure. :P
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    .... poop's got a job.... nuff said.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I found myself anxiously clicking thumnails to view your art just to get rid of the seizure inducing background.

Then I get a nice full screen of your characters, and its such a visual relief that I find myself in love with them.

I'm going to copy your website in hopes that it helps my art in the same respect. I hope others will as well. It will become the new 'hip' thing. ... I have no idea where I'm going with this.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    those thumbnails suck
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I thought the site was funny stuff.
    I think it would stand out the same way an INCREDIBLY put together flash page would (for different reasons, but at least it would stand out), and that in itself merits a look at the work. Anything to get people to remember you.

Knowing Sam, I can say that this site won't hinder him from getting a job.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the attitude. It's got that 'throwing up the hands' feeling that says "I didn't even care enough to get somebody else to do my portfolio page." Hmph.

Take a look at Peppi's portfolio pages... This is not the usual one that has all his stuff there, this is just the pages where he shows off his work to people who are interested. Just the art, ma'am.

Look at it, look how clean, how neatly organized. It's gorgeous in its subdued minimalism. Notice how he's got all the images on separate category pages? Arsh, if you knocked your type size down and removed all the attitude, you could have a page like this. Go, and do likewise.

/jzero
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahahahaha.. this thread is a riot.. and most of all of you saw different things.. i changed the page like 5 times though this whole fiasco.. so your all talking about different pages.. its just a place holder for more organized site.. its funny though how important some of you think this is.... for employment i always send a zip its easier and i can cater to the companies needs plus cut the clutter and not have to think at all about animated buttons and cool rollovers.. i could have an ultra slick site like peppi and if i practiced enough i could be as good as an artist as him too.. i just wanted to start making video tutorials and needed some place to throw them up..
    but i am glad a few people have a sense of humor.... when i do make the tutorials i will fashion them is such a way that the colors of my max interface wont clash with your media player skin.. i am sure a boring grey standard max interface will clash wish some of your exciting media player skins.. i think i will run an after FX filter on all them so they look like an ikea couch that way they will look super cool while playing on your desktop..
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye fuck it all, good stuff!!!

what do i care how does your webpage look,
    its cool shit,
    and the all-in-1 page is comfortable enough.
    im sure you have the skillz to make a hip page if you wanted to.. although i have to wonder, if you went on and made one.. well.. might as well?
    i get your anti approach, but i think those kind of ego-based views fade away fast in the course of time. i mean, what do you care how others make their webpages? why do you feel you need to protest?
    just make your own..

id suggest worry less about the internet and work harder on your work. the male anatomy model is a must in every portfolio, and i think no matter how many normal maps you show off, your portfolio will always come down to that. i wouldnt hire anyone who hide's his lakc of anatomy knowledge behind fancy tricks, and so you're head on target here. most noticeably the head is too small (chin to nipple) and your fingers looks a little wobbly.. id work on those.

and btw whole foods is da shit - that place is swarming with milfs hehe :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the ladies like a fancy webpage
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I found the site hilariously awesome.

I think it's obvious you wouldn't use this site for employment, and if that's known now, what's all the fuss for?

Great content either way. I really liked the bit about cutting you a check if someone steals your work. :P
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's awesome
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I don't think Arsh has to worry about employment. *wink*

Hilarious site man, I do wish the splash page and second page were similar, right now they feel like they are from two completely different sites. Cool stuff anyway.

I do like the "screw it all link" for viewing them all as giant images. Hahahahah.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad you put downloadable models up. I wish more artists would do that in their portfolio.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the idea of the "don't like thumnails? Niether do i... click here to just look at all the images in full size on one page"

It's nice just seeing everything and not waiting for thumbnails to load; I also like Peppi's simple page, although on the computer I am using I have to click everything twice for it to open, I guess once to reselect the "box" and again to actually get the link, so it's nice to be able to just see one page with all the pictures I want to see on it.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    where do you click?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I like the front page but the gallery is ugly and for the most part unpresentable. The text is sloppy with mistakes galore, that's not an impressive feature to employers.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    meh, the only thing id change would the the splash (the notebook paper scribbly scraty one)

it doesnt fit with the rest of the site, no matter how much you hate yourself wink.gif

//edit: lol hawken and i said almost the exact opposite. ITS CRAZY TOWN AAAAAH