Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crap inside, Not suitible for anyone over any age.

-=Warhead=-
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
-=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
1dc6f4ca.jpg

2debeba6.jpg

b919500c.jpg

Weapons I have been working on.. Their umm.. Gay.. and uhh.. I dunno gimme feedback tongue.gif. I need help on handle's and I'm using Maya. So if anyone has a good tut on handles maybe you could help me out >.>.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    my first crit is for you to leave the critiques to us. we will tell you when it is crap; it's a very bad habit for an artist to be self-depracating about his own work before anyone else has had a chance to say anything about it.

doing so begs the question: if you know it is crap, why are you posting it? you know that, for instance, that shotgun model could look a lot more like whatever reference you were using for it.

they're not that bad, but they do in fact have a long way to go. most of it is getting a better understanding of what should go on a low-poly in-game model, and what shouldn't; what's going to be seen, and for that matter what role the weapons are going to be used in (are these guns view-weapons, in the players hands and in sight all the time, or are they 3rd person models? props in the background?).

the best way to learn is by example. not only do you need good reference for the weapons you are modeling, but you would do very well to find and save pictures of good weapon models to study. because there are more than enough weapon models being made that you should be able to learn plenty from studying how they're built, on this board and others.

the people on this forum will help you, but they'll be able to help you 100x more if you take some simple steps by helping yourself. spend more time with the models, and spend time studying examples of good geometry.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, even though I hate everything I do, I at least pretend to like it so that it doesn't seem like I'm wasting everyone's time.
    Where's the side details?
    You're on the internet go dig up some refrences.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    its like fishing for compliments.
    You say this is crap then everyone say ' ooh no its ok'.
    You should have more self confidence, because in the real world, you will get torn to pieces if you have that attitiude
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    how did you model, if your not plane modeling, you should be, if you don't know how, use Ichii3D's Tutorial, which I will link you to Ichii's plane modeling tutorial
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Even though you're snagging for compliments (as I find myself accidently doing from time to time myself), there's still a few suggestions I'd give. Coming into 3d is devastating, as I'm still in the developing process as well. From the sound of it you aren't too satisfied with your current models, so why not take the time to fix them up? You know on the shotgun that the bottom of the grip looks funny and oddly bent. Lift those verts up, flatten them out or merge them together. Try to round things like that off and don't just use one reference image. Browse around the internet and you'll discover that the depths of your model are sketchy as well. You need to try to open your eyes to what the item you're modeling really is, and how it would be put into a game. Why is only one barrel open and the other is filled? Instead of having that barrel modeled, don't you think it would be a better decision to put more detail into the body of the gun? As that is what will be seen the most in a FPS game (if that's what you're aiming for). You won't see the end of the barrel very much. The same goes to your other two models. The rigidness on the uzi could easily be one detail and you could put more detail to the body. http://www.m-99.co.uk/Air_Guns/Machine_Gun_Uzi_SPUZ700/spuz700.jpg See all the switches and the bevels on it? That'll be seen a lot more than the barrel as well. Also, look at the sights on the micro uzi's You made them come up to a triangle but when looking at this angle of the picture it's clearly squared off at the top. Keep studying what you're making and I'm sure your work will start to come together more precisely. Just remember to put the gun in perspective of how it will be displayed (if it's for an FPS then you want the focus point to be on the body and the back of the gun so you'll put the most detail there). Best of luck to your future models and I hope my advice helped!
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    My thoughts are pretty similar to many others here; the guns you have there are a good start, but could use some work as to how they function.

As others have said, be sure to look at references of real-world guns and even sketch some schematics to figure out where all the pieces (both exterior and interior) should be before you start modeling.

I think the second piece is the best one at this point. I look forward to seeing how they develop.