Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bored bust

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
b1ll polycounter lvl 18
Finaly had some time this morning to finish it . yay.
Pre_goth.jpg
mdl_step_goth.jpg

Head Step-->
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/b1ll/goth_fwip.jpg

Ill do others soon. Cya
b1ll

Replies

• Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    omfg ! That's exellent benoit smile.gif as usual smile.gif I really dig the "armor" desgin and your faces are alwasy just perfect smile.gif

GIMME YOUR HANDS!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very impressive, I like it a lot!
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Brilliant! I love your skin textures. I'd add a couple of edges on her hair to break up the silhouette.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the low res jacket texture stands out too much against the higher res, and more realistic, face.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    wouldn't be so obvious if he was filtering the textures, though.
    for some reason i sometimes like it when that happens, though, when high detail sits next to low detail and it still looks like it kinda fits.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    man this looks great, the lips and eyes stand out to me as the best parts of this. Your characters' noses are always reddish, seems they are always sick with a cold

more more more more
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    win! ;-P

Sweet as man. I always love how much skin colour variation you get in there.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like ABESOME!
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    wow very impressive work b1ll
    keep it coming!:)
    B
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
    Your texturing work is really great B1ll! Very clean and sharp. The whole design jacket design is really cool.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    Yu r deh Mastar of teh Uooniverce!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome as usual, b1ll smile.gif Can you explain how you get such a good skin tone variation, and how you pick your skin tones? I have a lot of trouble getting away from a blurred, cartoony look because I can't get the color variation. I would really appreciate any tips!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hot buttery muskrat love'n! she looks wonderbar!
    i love the colors, you got that weird purple / brown color gothic chicks wear spot on. you did a fantanstic job of evolving and pulling on the gothic theme. i really love the constume work you've done here. the laces and metal patchwork is really very interesting to me.
    the only issue i have is the space between her collar bone and her breast line, her sternum looks very long and i can't make sense of it.
    cool work as per usual b1ll, i really enjoy your work.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff... slobber slobber!... mwha.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    very cool b1ll, waking up and seeing your thread is like waking up to the dog licking off the peanut butter you accidentally smeared in your buttcrack. that was totally an accident, could happen to anyone.
    what i really like is the relation to your previous character, the FF-looking guy--there's such a nice sense of texture and detail to the face. it's stylish, but with a suggestion of realistic detail. i diggit.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i like how your style is developping recently,
    the vest is also cool.
    i agree with marine and k.people,

too much space to the sides of the eyes,
    there is a plane change as the cheekbone curves back and the jaw falls down under it, and the neck muscles go right behind that.
    your front plane is just stretching too far out.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    Nice 1 b1ll, are you using straight PS or with deeppaint for this? Liking where you're going with the style as seen in the vest.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Been waiting to see this... and it was worth the wait smile.gif Looks awesome buddy!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Blow me ben. frown.gif

hehehe awesome stuff as always. I need to get "Bored" more often ey? wink.gif
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Obligatory "great work, b1ll" post.

Only thing that bothers me is her wide facial structure, almost heart-shaped. Everytime I see you post something, though, its a kick in the ass to improve.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    looks great, can't go wrong with goth chicks.
    Only thing that bothers me is, like Shotgun pointed out, the face seems really wide. I kinda miss the ears, but i assume they're under the hair. Hard to tell in a simple frontal view (!)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the dude likes his faces wide. i'm surprised none of you have noticed in, say, the last year or so or more of b1ll's model posts, they all have that very wide facial structure.

not that it changes your observations, but it's not like the dude doesn't realize this about his art smile.gif
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    mm, the goth chicks always look so nice, this ofcourse, is no exeption.

I am not really in any position to complain on the model nor the texture, I like the red nose wink.gif and the piercing.

Did you do all the designs?? Cause them clothes looks really nice, I love the strings going around the shoulders, and of course the shirt thingie under the jacket, very very nice.

Did you use any references?? or is there any pericular pic you used as inspiration source??
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutely kick ass B1. =)

/Palm
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing's having a wide facial structure, another one just having a lot of room at the sides of the face. I'm good with wide faces, i prefer them like that myself, less stereotypical. This one just goes beyond what looks natural, to me anyway.
    The face is fine, but the width at the sides past the eyes seems too much for me.

I found the Jacket odd too, but i just assumed it was some fancy SciFi clothing, since it doesn't look like leather or latex with the actual highlights. I can live with that.

And, since we are nitpicking about small things already anyway, the darker color tones look like you shaded them with gray or black. Black/gray shadows on skin always make it look dirty, you sure know that, one of the reasons why people put so much attention in skin shaders for next gen games, to get warmer shadows.
    I'd really try to use warmer colors to make the shadows, rather than gray, it makes such a huge difference. I don't think you should have any problems doing that.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i dissagre with you strangefate, the space on the sides of the head is spot on... its pretty basic proportion.. the space from eye to side of head is same width as the eye.. that part is fine.. here is pic of basic face proportions

face3.gif

i think its a bang up job.. very nice.. i love the design of the hair.. but i think the execution of the hair, in comparason is very weak.. it dosent even feel like hair.. looks more like crushed velvet ropes outside of a club or something.. just looks like no effort was put in it.. like the hair was an after thought.. still awesome.. but i feel if you can paint a face like that you can make some decent hair if you tried..
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Lol, Thanks ladies. And some of you are crazy.
    I like how it look, Im happy.
    Its starting to be weird to fight eachothers for whos right about anatomy. Not sure whos knows what anyway.

But Hey, I had fun making it, I have others on the way, and Thats thats!

THanks !

benregimbal@hotmail.com
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arsh, that image doesn't really help, or maybe it does.
    The width of the face is not fully reached on that image until further back, where the ears are.

Now, take your image and give it the same hair as B1ll's model, the hair covers the ears completely and part of the face before the ears, the width left will be a lot less since the outher sides will be covered by the hair.

I could probably live with the face being so wide, if it didn't seem that are the width happens way ahead of the ears, on the front of the face, The hair covers quite so much you'd think. Yet the width of the face happens all even before of the ear and hair. That's quite weird, don't you agree ?
    It throws me off anyway.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    dude, why dont people stop always "oh this lookls wrong, this is too wide this is too short, bla bla bla" he likes it that way he intended to make a character as he liked , we should start to see the work more in personal terms and not on realism terms , since ben dominates both i think.

great texturing work ben , as usual the face texture looks awesome , could you post some shaded renders of the wmodel also ? cause it would be cool to see them :P

bye !
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, there's a difference between personal style and just plain wrong, Johny...

The fact that the texturing is pretty realistic and everything else seems to point towards realism, odd proportions that aren't *quite* right show up as more obvious errors.

I agree with StrangeFate here, the face does look too wide in the wrong area, and it's not a natural proportion thing... that said, Arshlevon's image is hardly a shining example of good anatomy, heh. (edit: Although he's actually changed it to a better one now, hmm).

Johny: Maybe you should recommend that everyone start posting models with little disclaimers before the images saying "By the way, the fact that the arms are too long, feet are the wrong shape and the head is too wide is just a stylistic choice, and I don't want anyone talking about it." ... that'd just be silly ...

People can crit what they see as incorrect given the context. Sure exaggerated proportions and weird anatomy can work in the right fashion, but if things are just slightly wrong instead of obviously intentionally warped or exaggerated, then it's likely that it's an actual fault the artist overlooked, rather than an intentional stylistic choice.

b1ll: Well, if people are arguing over anatomy, I'd guess usually if you show it to some person on the street who doesn't know about bone or muscle structure really, they might say "Well, this part looks wrong, but I don't know why" - just with human anatomy, it's stuff everyone sees every day, so it's usually obvious when something is slightly wrong, because it just doesn't "look" right - not because the jaw bone is wrong or that muscle or the other is too big, just because people know what things are meant to look like, and can usually determine when things don't look "right" without really knowing exactly why they don't look right.

I think it's called the uncanny valley or something - when a human representation looks almost real but is missing something or something is wrong that makes it seem a bit strange... you know... lol
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    You proportion nazis must not live in the same world as I do. I personally know of, and have seen, plenty of people with heads that break all the "rules" that you all love to spout off. And that is just the head....we're not talking about people with long torsos, stubby arms versus longer legs, etc.

Anyway, beautiful work...I love checking out all your latest posts. Great style.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    wow,mop, that so didnt make any sense to me, Lol
    What I mean is U ladies fight each other about anatomy, Everyone trying to make the other believe hes right, Its just not helpfull at all. I made it so i was happy and satify,

U guys are just trying to proove u are right among each others, that useless.

b1ll
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also argue that anatomy varies. I get a lot of flack for some of my stuff not 'measuring up'(sometimes with good reason) but in the real world there are a lot of people that don't conform to what most art books would say is correct, just look at Shirley Manson's eyes or the long torso on asian gals.
  • nreynolds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nreynolds polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with mr rogers!

I personally love the bust, great work.
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    Obviously, if a "green" modeler is coming up the ranks, then yes, alot of the fundamentals of proportion and anatomy need to be explained and understood as he/she
    "pimps" their work...but come on....I think it's pretty clear that B1ll has a fairly solid grasp of anatomy, and the things that you see in his work is more style then anything else.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OK, what I meant was that the jawline and width of the face looked wrong to me.

If it makes you happy, that's great, b1ll... I was more talking about other stuff than this particular model really.

Never mind.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I think B1ll has made it clear in his past posts he is not looking for critiques, he is using polycount as a way to share the art he has finished.

I can definately appreciate that approach, though I might not agree totally with it.

Good work man, I really dig her. Great to see someone just saying screw the world and make something you really enjoy. I really dig her facial colors and all the alpha bits around her outfit. I might have made the strings single planes to help with rigging purposes, but that's just personal preference.

Can't wait to see what you got cooking next. Oh yeah FLATS, SHOW US THOSE FRENCH KANADA FLATS!!!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i'll critique what i want to critique tongue.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    tis true, even if your crits essentially revolve around hallucinatory images of virgin marry and such, other readers may still find them useful.

you just cant crit someone for giving (on spot) critique...
    if u have nothing useful to say so, with all respect to free speech and all, stfu
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    tom clancy said .. "fiction is harder than reality because fiction has to make sense" this applies here too, just because we seen disproportionate people in real life we still perceive them as human, but translate those people with disproportional anatomies into 3D identically and our brain will tell us that they look horribly wrong and unrealistic because we already percieve it as being fake... In the world of fiction and simulation it has to be just right, it has to be perfect to become believeable.

that is why we always make characters and creatures with perfect proportions even when it comes to extremes of the spectrum. i.e. fatter characters or skinner characters, they still have to look right, even thought there probably arent people out there with such proportions.

In all fairness, i think bill's piece looks fine despite numerous anatomical issues you guys pointed out. The overall result is very stylish and convincing, bordering reality and fantasy.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    the proportions i agree look a bit wierd, but she has great tits and id totally hit it
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I think Mr. Toast is spot on in his assessment :P
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    Heads tend to look wierd from a front othorgraphic shot, so that could be reason behind all the anatomy complaints.
    Either way I think this is good stuff and I always enjoy seeing some new models from you bill. Definetly makes me want to make a cool bust now too!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, didn't want to know you wanted to have sex with a bunch of data and I didn't want to know b1ll was canadian, it does make it easier to say 'B1ll, I'd eat your brain to gain some of your power, umm skill...Um figuratively.' Kind'a kills the mood though.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i like it!

it seems like her jacket 'sparkles' a little too much, maybe some more yellow highlights could soften the jagginess of the edges. Its kinda cool how it has a carapace feel though.

dunno, its pretty tits. dig it.
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    No more views? frown.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    OMG amazing texturing! She reminds me of somone from Dune laugh.gif. any chance I can see the texture map?