Home Technical Talk

How do you deal with color bleeding through...

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
I was wondering about this, what the best way of dealing with the issue of the unwanted color bleeding into a portion of your unwrapped model. This usually happens with vehicles, guns, etc. in my case. I have a section of the unit that goes from black to gray for example and to avoid the black getting into the gray portion I detach the uv chunks a bit. I'm wondering what a better way to deal with this and keep uv chunks that should be together, together. wink.gif. Later.

Alex

Replies

• PaK
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    post a screen capture of rthe viewport and the corresponding UV window plz.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is an easy example that shows the problem I'm refering to in general. I also included the files with texture so you can look at it in the program if interested. Thanks.

Alex
    uvbleed01.jpg
    uvbleed02.jpg
    uvset01.jpg
    box01.zip
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    it's possible to paint textures and map them pixel-perfect. You just have to be careful.

Though i don't know why you'd *need to keep these bits of the UV bang together. The main reason would be for efficient tri-stripping (every time you break verts for mapping it breaks the tri-strip), but you've already broken that by taking the sides of your extruded face up to the top of the texture sheet.

If you're being as careful as you can and still getting bleed, try shrinking the middle face UVs in a pixel or so ... or more preferably using some of that wasted space around the outside and expanding the rest of the box out a bit. I bet you'd never really notice the slight discrepancy in pixel density when the texture's on.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Danr the reason I usually paint my panels where they go like in the current uv setup so I can easily make an LOD out of it. I can easily take out the panel I modeled to make the LOD of the box and reuse the texture. Recently I have been modeling tanks that are around 2000 polys and have been making LODs for them that make them 800 and 400. I was under the impression that it is impossible to preserve perfect tri stripping, and avoid having no uv seams when unwrapping a model wink.gif. The main reason I used that example is because it recreates the color bleeding problem easily though. I'm just wondering how others deal with this problem in general. Thanks.

Alex
  • Eric Chadwick
    See that empty space in between the UV chunks? Allow your paint to bleed over into those spots, so you have a skirt buffer of color all around each UV. At least 4 pixels around each, for a 512x512. Then you won't get those bleeds.

I got a quickie PS Action that does this for me, although doing it at painting time is better. Also most texture-bakers will do this too, like Max's RTT.