Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Soccer player!

Taimaishu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
First thread, long time viewer at polycount. Some amazing work done here and I felt this is probably the best place I can get some C&C.

Anyways, heres the model. It's for a Half-life 2 modification, but the polycount is currently at a little over 3,000. I did *not* make this model (only created the texture/skin) but I am posting for the modeler as well. tongue.gif
Diffuse map is at 1024*1024.

bump47ex.th.jpg

No lighting on this shot(execpt the face shot) and 75% self illum with a bump and spec map. Spec is a little overdone sorry about that.

I'm mainly posting this for some good critiques. So post away! cool.gif

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Good texture, I dig the cloth wrinkles!! but..
    -That white line dividing the forehead in the middle looks wrong to me.
    -You must also take care of the seam's look in the back of his head.
    -For the model, I think the guy's ankles must be thinner. They look too thick especially in the front shot, like he's wearing boots.
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    Mind if I see the texture flats?
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, I should have posted them origionally

flats9hw.th.jpg

Thanks for the crits Emar, I dont know what is going on with the back of the head though, it dosent show up in Lightwave(model was made in LW) but I'll have to fiddle with it.
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any more Crits?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    skin textures could be a lot improved
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    skin textures could be a lot improved

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborate please? That's the main reason why I'm posting, to learn more about texturing in general, and getting this guy as good as I can make him.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that I'm seeing is that everything is really monochromatic, the uniform is red with a little highlight and shadow, and the skin is pink with a little shading. Take some blues and yellows, little green and brown and vary up the coloring.
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    One thing that I'm seeing is that everything is really monochromatic, the uniform is red with a little highlight and shadow, and the skin is pink with a little shading. Take some blues and yellows, little green and brown and vary up the coloring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do. smile.gif (Nice to see another soccer fan here)
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, a fan calling it soccer. That to me is like saying you're a fan of the Beatles and saying wtf is this music, but anyways.

I like the model but don't 100% understand the point. Whilst I know its a football player, the purpose of this (had I being doing it) would be to allow for the customization of a football game, like changing kits, head skins, etc - so making the clothes on a seperate UV map, etc.

As a model by itself, just a character in football gear.. it's good. The captains armband should be modelled as it looks a little loose just on the skin. I like the short fabric movement but on the top it looks a little false and random. The arm/shoulder joint goes down which looks a tad unnatural. The ankles don't go in enough for my liking, but that could just be the angle looking at the feet direction, not sure. The eye on the UV map creates a lot of wasted space. You could have moved the head to that side, and the eye could have fitted with the the hands and all those misc parts.
  • Taimaishu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heh, a fan calling it soccer. That to me is like saying you're a fan of the Beatles and saying wtf is this music, but anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I'm just accostomed to saying soccer since im American.

Anyways thanks for the crits everyone, I'll have an update soon. smile.gif