Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Personal Lamp (Sculpture)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
I recently started on the construction of a personal lamp. I've been meaning to make it the whole summer, but got side tracked on other things. I hope to finish this up before I go to Art school (october 3rd).

I'm making it out of super sculpey. I know some might think it would have been better to make this out of resin, but I don't think I have the funds or the skill to work with resin just yet.

Though what I'll be doing after I bake it, is I will be applying a coat of this stuff called Metal sculpt to it. It was a going away gift from my high school art teacher. And once polished and buffed it will look like it was made out of metal. I know it'd probably be easier to just have it bronzed or something, but I would like to use the gift my teacher gave me.

anyway, on to the pictures of it so far!
01.jpg
Basic Rig, which is made out of bendable plumbing pipes, and foil.

02.jpg

03.jpg
(Used heavy wire for the rib cage, actually I used cut up clothes hangers, haha)

04.jpg
Starting to form the head out of foil, which is mostly held together with needles

05.jpg
got the head mostly done, I'm still undecided if I want to add teeth or not.

there's still a lot of work that needs to go into it, and I'll probably update this thread every now and then until completion.

Though it wooden base will be changed, because the one on now is just a place holder. I'll be getting a larger wooden base, that will have, what I guess I will call a channel, for the wireing to run through it. It will also be coated in a heavy black wood enamel.

Feedback is welcome, of course.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I like it so far! Great idea!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    grotesque.

I love it smile.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool, indeed. I love the form of the guy, he's pretty scary. I'd suggest adding teeth.

The whole thing has a very Geiger vibe to it, which is always a good thing in by book.

I've always wanted to get into more analog 3d stuff. Any suggestions for someone that's virtually never done it?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so far everyone.

Slum,first off, I would say going with a polymer clay rather than earth clay. That is definently a personal prefrence. But I enjoy working with something that is virtually mess free, and doesn't need to have wet rags placed over it when you're done working on it for the day. Plus you don't need a kiln to bake it, just a normal oven.

Though just go to any art store around you, and get your self some sculpy or even better, some super sculpy. It's about $7 a box. And just play around with it. You know get a feel for it. I mean, it's fun just playing with it. Then start trying to make other forms with it.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    08.jpg
    The old nose bothered me, so I gave it a nose job. I also put more detail into the rib cage.

I'm hoping to bake it soon. It just fits in my oven!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    haha thats awesome man. smile.gif I want one!
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    That is absolutely bad-ass. My only gripe is that you went with a normal nose instead of something like a skull-esque nose, what with the rest of it being rather sunken and morbid. Just my two cents, it still kicks much ass.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of those wizard things from quake smile.gif
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Be even more intresting if you can make the base pivot and pivot inside the rib cage.
  • lio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lio polycounter lvl 18
    i liked the old nose better - looked creepier.
    also i wouldn´t put any teeth in there, i guess - it sort of freaks me out to picture this thing suck on something - swallowing half of the head of whatever it eats and sucking on it...really nice design though, i´d like one of those smile.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that I decided against teeth, because it just wouldn't look right.

And sorry, but I'm keeping this nose, I was bothered by the older nose, it just didn't have look I wanted, and since this a is a personal lamp...

n30 & Lio, You know, part of me wants to open up a custom furniture and light buisness in the future. I think it would be fun, and a decent source of revenue granted people want what I make, haha. Comments like those are very encouraging! Oh, and Lio, Braindead/Dead Alive? wonderful movie! wink.gif

Rwolf, heh, if I had the technical abilities to make a rig with piots and such, then I would have, haha. You know the original concept called for the swtich to be the jaw. I wanted to make it so that when I closed the mouth the light turned off, and when opened, on. I had figured out what I would need to do, but I just didn't have the right supplies to do it, haha.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    That's a cool idea. I designed a standing lamp in art school that was shaped like vertebrae, never got around to actually sculpting it though, partly because I wanted to do it in metal...

I hope you get a shot at doing some resin/fiberglass casts in art school. I took a modelmaking class for transportation design and I had a blast just messing around with all the different materials.
  • lio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lio polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Oh, and Lio, Braindead/Dead Alive? wonderful movie! wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely! kudos for noticing smile.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    09.jpg

Another update, I've shaped the base to look more like the Illium of a hip bone, and also extended the ribcage down a bit, Almost done! In fact I plan to finish it this week, I hope to bake it by tuesday. Sooner would be better. Tomorrow I'll be working on the wooden base.