Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first model

The_Synj
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
well..i did what i didnt want to do..i picked up MILKSHAPE 3D and used it..and ironically i seemed to like it after a while smile.gif, i finally got used to some functions and pulled together my first EVER attempt at a model.
here, have a look:
THEGUNFINAL.jpg
I know its not much but i found it pretty good for a first, one thing i hate is that the milkshape program dosent have a render in the program, and i looked up some render programs(from my first post when ppl awnsered) and none of them worked. i took a screen from actual program(i lifted it to blue where you couldnt see grid), anyone wanna recommend a render program?
feel free to crit.
=
o didnt do the texture..i took it from a pic on google.

Replies

• Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad for a first model Synj.

My only real crit is the unwrap, looks like its not done properly and thats why none of the lines are straight making the whole thing look a bit wobbly

The unwrapper in milkshape is horrible so its no wonder you are having problems with it, try using one of those external self unwrapping programs or get yourself a copy of max, lightwave or maya.

May not seem worth it at the moment but it really makes a difference with the quality of your artwork.
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    it looks to me like you've got some weird edges there, it looks like it's not in quads, and you've got edges right next to each other.

it kinda looks like its underwater at the moment

Manic
  • Echelon-IV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Echelon-IV polycounter lvl 18
    that's kinda cute.. ^^
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    1st of all immediately grab a program which can do poly modeling(quads, I mean). It's much comfortable than modeling with triangles. XSI Mod Tool(http://www.softimage.com) does the job pretty good.
    In addition to the UV's you should also check your smoothing groups. Those poly's on the left side of the picture must be split into separate smoothing groups.
    Happy modeling!!
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, thanks for the crits, i know theres mapping problems..and thats not only the fault of milkshaoe. i played a big role in screwin up the map smile.gif also i dont want to switch to a quad program because they are all more complicated then milkshape from what ive seen, if they were all as easy as milkshape id love to grab one.
    Also the model isnt prefectly lines, also my fault..this being my first model..i didnt take time to fix it up and i still dont understand every function..i just picked the program up yesterday and tried. Maybe ill clean this up a bit later and see if i can get another screen up smile.gif
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    3dsmax/gmax is actually an easier program, and it's MUCH more powerful. 3dsmax can render, but it costs a helluva lot. Gmax can't, but it's free smile.gifhttp://discreet.com i think.
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downloaded gmax...fun part is findin a tut to start me off..the program seems to be very much more complicated to me >.> lol, we will see though..anyone got a good gmax begginer tut link?