Home Technical Talk

Original Quake 3 weapons

mike1000
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mike1000 polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys I am new to modding. I know this might be a noob question but I made a M60 weapon model for quake 3 and I really want to put the M60 model in Quake 3 as it's own weapon but I don't know how to. Are there any pacific scripts I need to make for this. Looking forward to sugesstions.

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    did you try searching google for a tutorial?
  • mike1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I did, I only got a tutorial of how to replace a already existing Q3 weapon in the game. I really will like to have a weapon act as itself like you'll have a machine gun at 1 and s M60 at 0 . I am aware of the problems this might cause with maps but I jsut want to try it out. Trial and error hopefully I'll learn something.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Can't be done with out significantly changing the Quake 3 code, which of course is possible now that the sourcecode has been GPLed by id software.

But it isn't that easy.
  • mike1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I found a way. If you can extract the pk3 contents from Pak 1 they have note pads where script files are I saw a selection where it said weapon configuration and weapons inventory. if I follow the basic flow of the previous weapon scripts in the document maybe I can pull it off but like you said it will be difficult. Well thanks anyway I'll keep you informed on my progress.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, those files are priority scripts for bots.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    It would be easier to simply replace the assets in the default machinegun slot.

But you could also go to the forums of mods like Urban Terror or True Combat and see what they've done. Keep in mind, you're probably trying something that others have done before, so go find those guys first.

/jzero
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    or simply replace the machinegun.

open the md3, remove the machinegun (but not the tags!!) and slot your one where the old one was, make sure your muzzle lines up with the flash tag. re-save into the same folder structure as the zip. Because it's a newer model it will take priority. Load up quake3 and use the machine gun. Your model will now relace the old machine gun.

I think it is one of the first ways I started modding q3 when the beta was being thrown around. I changed the flags in CTF to pikachu rucksacks for my mod "biggahedz".