Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Apprehension Mod Seeking Programers

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Apprehension aims to blend the core elements of multiplayer RTS and FPS styles of gameplay, integrating the use of AI-controlled units, free placement of structures throughout the playing field, customizable weapons, and a large range of vehicles. By allowing the control of the outcome of the game through a combination of team work, tactics, and the careful use of raw resources, our aim is to attract a diverse gaming audience.

Position:

The Apprehension team is currently seeking a skilled programers proven experience in Unreal Script and previous Modding. Many of the features of the game are playable, and we're currently undergoing rigorous documentation of the game's features, and re-organizing a team after the departure of several programers for game industry jobs and other "real life" issues. We need coders with organizational skills and a strong desire to finish a project.

Possible duties include:
<ul type="square">[*]Helping current team finish game design (your input will be greatly valued!)
[*]Examining current codebase, and re-organizing where appropriate
[*]Hud/Interface
[*]Vehicles, including Karma physics setup and weapon scripting
[*]Weapons, including weapon customization for humans and vehicles
[*]RTS-style upgrade system
[*]Bot and droid AI
[*]Pre-game lobby for multiplayer games
[/list]
Many of these features are functional but could use a lot of polish -- some features need to be implemented, and a few features still need to be designed.

Links:

Apprehension website
Apprehension wiki (game design documentation)

----
Q&A (based around the Programmer Recruitment sticky)
----

Q:
What kind of influence will the individual be allowed on this Mod as far as features and engine limitation or new ideas or methods?

A:
As a programer on Apprehension, you will get an incredible amount of input on everything from game architecture, to finalizing our design document. Sometimes depending on your area, you will be able to workmore closely with specific artists on issues. In example, to create classes for new weaponry on vehicles and buildings, modifying AI, to optimizing for server/client balance.

----
Q:
What skills you have aside from 'designer'?

A:
I am sorta the Kitchen Sink of this Mod. I took over as was mentioned earlier when some of our original members had to leave. I currently act as the mods "kitchen sink" by acting as a Artist, Project management, Scripting, Documentation. I can tell you that I am fully involved in this project and want it to see completion. I make no grandiose claims about thinking this is some sort of CS killer; it's a simply a Mod thats gameplay is slightly less used. For some of us, this means its made for fun, for others, the industry experience.

----
Q:
What sorts information is or needs to be documented?. Weapon sheets and descriptions, game and front end flowcharts, etc. We don't want to be waiting on you for stuff.

A:
We have a WIKI that is well under development that acts as our Design Document. .Sorry no flowcharts in it as of yet, flowcharts will not allow easy manipulation that counters what a WIKI provides.

As for waiting, we are backlogged enough that a programmer should have plenty of options to keep us on our road map. However, I will admit that having a lead programmer help delegate such tasks will make the process flow much easier.

----
Q:
What, exactly, have you done already?

A:
We have the basic game principles in place and running. Including a server connected to our repository that updates automatically when new content is added. What we don't have for actual assets, we are using placeholders (where possible). Most building can be built, resources collected, quad menus accessible.

In short, you aren't starting with someone's eye twinkle nor a Mod based around one persons idea. We are a team.
----
Q:
Why should I work on this when UED3 with UT2007 is around the bend?

A:
Who's to say we wont port it over? Some of the artwork already has normal maps in the wings. Either way, we need to work with the technology we have now. We can twiddle our thumbs and wait for the next big thing, or make something now and have time to polish it off before putting it into a new engine.

----
Images

Dropship and Mood Concept by Matt Waggle
Ship.jpg

Heavy Roamer Attacking Enemy Base.
roamerattackt.jpg

Ordering Bot
orderdroidt.jpg

Droid Factory and Health Bot.
droidst.jpg

Ordering Turret to convert.
missleordert.jpg

Mini Gun firing while hit with Turret fire.
gunattackt.jpg

Checking on Construction of a ATC Factory
atcbuildt.jpg

How to Apply:

Please send a PM or email to me here, respond to this thread with your interest/questions, or visit our forums and leave a message to me.

PS: We are always looking for more talented texture, modelers, animators and level designers. You get to work with cool images and ideas like the above. Even potentially contribute your own.

Replies