Home Technical Talk

Help with renders...

Option
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Option polycounter lvl 18
I am a Lightwave user, but I model for CSS. Now some other modelers I know use a render setup for max, that, in my opinion, looks very, very good. I would like to know how to render the same way. NOTE: The following images are not mine, they are the property of their respective owners (sureshot, and Hellspike). Also, these renders are not globally illuminated.
Basically, can someone at least tell me how to approximate these looks in the lightwave renderer.
Pics:
bm4c5nv.jpg
sa800eb.jpg

Replies

• KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Those renders may look good, but they won't look like that in game. It seems that since this type of rendering has been available, it's been the thing to use to make model renders (for games) look 'so cool'. No thanks. Give me a wireframe overlay shot and another with the texture without any lighting, and I'm a happy camper. All those renders do is waste time, IMO.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know the Lightwave renderer, but in an attempt to answer your question If it definitely isn't G.I then it's a dirtmap ( ambient occlusion ) shader ( certainly on the bottom shot ) with one spot and raytraced shadows.
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I prefer your renders to the generic and way overused canned GI skydome renders.

Here's a tutorial to do it in Lightwave: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave...on_skydome.html

In my opinion, GI lighting doesn't even make very attractive renders. They makes a okay fill lights, but for gods sake don't forget to add a key and kicker!

KMan's right, though... the effort to put out fancy renders is wasted effort with games. Just time spent jerking off and not doing anything to help the final product. The only use for GI with game models is if you're baking out shadows for a texture map.
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Personally I prefer your renders to the generic and way overused canned GI skydome renders.

Here's a tutorial to do it in Lightwave: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave...on_skydome.html

In my opinion, GI lighting doesn't even make very attractive renders. They makes a okay fill lights, but for gods sake don't forget to add a key and kicker!

KMan's right, though... the effort to put out fancy renders is wasted effort with games. Just time spent jerking off and not doing anything to help the final product. The only use for GI with game models is if you're baking out shadows for a texture map.

[/ QUOTE ]
    when you say "your renders" are you referring to mine? If so those ARE global illuminated renders. But anyways back on topic, I have the link for the tutorial that everybody follows for a slightly different render style: This is a link
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh my bad... Figured those were your renders that you were not satisfied with. Figured it was a basic 3 light setup. I was thinking you'd want to turn those nice renders into those bland nothing-but-GI renders (like the renders in that tutorial.) The key and kicker lights make all the difference.

Your link is not working at the moment... sourceblog is down frown.gif