Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

cute/evil machineflesh guy

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Crylar polycounter lvl 18
Well this is my first thread (I think). And I haven't done that much posts, but here is a model I just finished
gamecharacter0015qx.png
And he is what the title says.
It's for a school project thing, the task was to create a game character with 1000 - 1500 triangles, and it's 1466. I have him rigged and now I need to make animations, They will probably very much suck, but I will post them here so the thread won't turn out too empty tongue.gif
(Umm, the gun is hanging freely in the air right now, but it will appear in his hand in the animations)
Please, Comments and critics are welcome, thank you.

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like a fun model. Can we see the texture flats? I like the painterly approach you took to the texture.

I'd try rendering him out, not on a white background. It's blowing out the view.
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
    pretty good model! smile.gif i like the textures and the idea, seems like you took some time on it. just remember to make physic like animations, he wouldnt have his metal arm in the air like that unless he was really strong..or struggling. so if you made him walk, id say make him drag his metal arm on the ground. just a thought.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth:
    004polysurfaceshape36tq.png
    Yeah, it has a kind of painted look to it, but I think it's the only style I can do for now ^^'

The_Synj:
    Thanks. Well the animation will probably be a running cycle, and I think he will use the arm in the running.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, now everyone will hate me for bringing back my thread, but the animation is done, it looks a bit crap but I'm kind of happy how it turned out.
    theofferanimation4vb.gif

Again, I know I really have to work on my animating skills, I had forgopten how much I dislike animating with bones, but I know it has it's benefits and it's very much the most used technic in games.
    Well, comments and critics are welcome I guess.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    my main crit of the animation would be "what is he doing?"

i guess its some kinda jump? or attack? anyways its not very defined and reads mostly like as undefined movement to me...

The first steps looks pretty good, maybe just make a simple walk and run cykle at first?

Edit: read in your previous post he was gonna use the arm in the runcycle so i guess that explains the movement.. Anyway i think the whole armthing needs to be speeded up some. At the moment it looks like slowmotion.. Also try apply some weight to the arm so it really looks like he is supporting his body on it while running.. The biggest problem tho is that it lacks continuety.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Arm should swing a bit more, do whatever you have to do to to make that arm seem heavy. Maybe make him hop off the arm(to make it seem more powerful than his legs). This reminds me, I have a character like this half done somewhere...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great the mesh has tons of character! The texture is kind of cartoony but I have a feeling that is what you where going for?

I think the rig needs a joint in the ancle for the feet/hoves, it seems kind of wooden and stiff. If the joint is there, rotate the foot flat as he comes to a stop.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I like his codpeice!!
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tnx for all the comments and the critics, I don't think I will update the character, the animation wasn't what I had but the focus on, I was mostly focusing on the mesh and the texture and I'm glad you liked them.

The animation has lots of stuff wrong, Thanks again for pointing bad stuff out, I didn't know all of them.

And I'm still pissed caus eI cant get a nice render of it.

But cant look back now, I have new stuff to work on, I will keep all this in mind when working on new stuff.