Home General Discussion

Starting a local sketch group (UKers please read)

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
howdy all.

Having been to Dallas and met ALOAD of people,going to QuakeCon and exsperienced the dallas sketch group..(which was arwesome by the way) I now have an urge to start a similar thing in or around where I live in the UK.

Only problems being...im Located in the Middle of No-where...got several towns and villages around here but the nearest city is Oxford which is at least 20miles away and still a bitch to get to.

Also I know London has a sketch group but as it takes me an hour and a half to 2 hours to get there plus 12pounds per trip to get there and home its too far out of my way to get there. Same really with the colleges and evening classes..nearst being in Oxford and the others even further afeild.

So im thinking I live in a village with a population of about 8000 and the nearest town which is 6miles down the road has a population of over 10,000 ...surily there must be some artists somewhere or people that share a "common intrest" in sketching and the like. but how do i get in contact with them? where would be the best kind of place to hold such a meet,I know the Dallas guys met in a libarary/book store but we dont have any of those that are open on the weekends or would allow 20 odd people to sit and take up there floor space.

Do you guys (especially UK guys) have any ideas how I could potentially go about arranging such a thing?

Cheers

john

Replies

• flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    all i can say, and this is totally a biased opinion, is to not let anime fans take control... there is a local art / sketch group that has been around for a long while, and when the originators left for fulltime jobs, a couple of anime fanatics took control.. meetings turned from focusing on good drawing to "hey you check out this latest manga!! i bet i can draw just like that"...
    and no.. i'm not an anime hater... just that it turned a good group for artistic improvement into the local anime fanclub...

as far as get togethers.. we would meet at the food court at local malls, local parks, a mini golf lounge
  • PaK
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    put UK in the title, you'll get more readers from the UK