Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mod Pimp : Union City Blue

IanW
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
IanW polycounter lvl 18
Well after over a year of hard graft on my mod, I feel its come to a state where I can pimp it properly.

The mod is called "Union CIty Blue" and its for UT2004. It's designed to be a fast paced vehicle and mech Team deathmatch type game with a few twists and variations from the FPS norm, set in the devastated Europe of 2082.

The mod features Tanks
UPV_b_t.jpg

More Tanks
shot4_t.jpg

Trucks
shot7_t.jpg

More Trucks
ASV_t.jpg

Mechs
HCB_b_t.jpg

More Mechs, that can fly
shot8_t.jpg

Women
ATU_2.jpg

BLokes
UTV_2.jpg

Cyborg Dolphins
NJL_r_t.jpg

That can fly
shot3_t.jpg

Guns
PDW_t.jpg

Explosions
shot12_t.jpg

and lots more wink.gif

There's a web site up with loads more pictures, text and a silly scenario to try and justify all of this madness.

The mod has reached alpha state. All code, player, vehicle and weapon models, textures and animations are done and it can be played on line or offline with bots. What is kind of limiting it though is its only got one map, so I'm looking for people... Yeah I know, wrong place to ask, so if your're not interested/to busy/can't be arsed I fully understand and you can always criticise my models and textures instead wink.gif

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    damn, very slick. love your designs! no crits, but I just realised I've always wanted to play a flying cyborg dolphin without ever knowing it :]

good luck with it, looks like a proper game as opposed to a mod!
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cyborg Dolphins

That can fly

[/ QUOTE ]

Game of the year!

Seriously though, the screenshots look good, but the map is the weakest asset. Regardless, if the game play is fun, then the maps can develop at a later point.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I really like what you have done, you have put some mad love into this and it shows smile.gif

Only crits, the chicks heads look too big and the dudes hands are too small.

The dolphin is the bees knees.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    They seem rather stylized, the women's legs are way too long as well.
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    You just keep getting better and better, Ian. I was one of the mappers on lawdogs and loved the stuff you were doing back then. This is just great. I especially love the render with all the different suits and pilots together.

You're the man, Ian!
    -LD
  • pattern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pattern polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap! Gimme some of that!
    Can't wait to try this out!
    Very nice work! The HCB is just so dang purdy.
    I'm glued to the info pages right now, great reading with all the detailed info.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    i'll only play this if you yell MEDECCCCC again

edit: shit, ian waugh != ian caughley
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! Everything is top-notch!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice stuff, IanW. Impressive that you've got so much done... good work!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet! Fisher Price desert warfare! wink.gif

I love the style, looks great. Good work!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    VERY nice stuff.

The dolphin si great smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    looking great! can't wait until there's a public beta.

a little confused, though--why is it that the future fire and police departments are fighting with each other, in the desolate Europe of 2083? smile.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Why do men get vests and the women sport bras?
  • extanker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    extanker polycounter lvl 18
    YES! I still have the original picture you released waaay back as part of my screensaver. I thought this was long dead. I can't wait to try this out.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why do men get vests and the women sport bras?

[/ QUOTE ]

because men would look silly in sport bras.

awesome work. flying cyborg dolphins away!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool - this looks really impressive - especially for doing everything yourself.
  • IanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IanW polycounter lvl 18
    To answers some of the points raised on the human characters...

The two pics above cover only 4 of the player models, there are 12 in all, but due to limited time they are built from 4 basic models, 2 Human, 1 Dolphin and 1 Cyborg with thge other 8 having minor changes to the texture, face and uild. Models in UT2004 have to have the same skeleton and proportions if they want to use the same animations. I was originally intending to use the standard UT 2004 animations and male and female skeletons and so I built my models around them. The UT2004 female skeleton is built like a super model, and hence those two above (and many other UT2004 female models) have very long legs. After testing I was unhappy with the standard anims and decided to modify a lot of them, mainly changing the way they hold their weapons.

There are female models with vests and baggy outfits, see the first picture with the little blue tank or below.

UPV_2.jpg

These are based on the same base model and share the animations with the two male models above.

The uniform the characters wear depends on the vehicles they drive for various practical reasons,
    which are explained, as well as detailed scenario describing why they fighting in the first place
    in the web site.

The fact some classes gets vests doesn't really matter much, bullet proof vests don't really offer
    any protection from the 30mm cannons and other assorted heavy weapons on the vehicles and mechs,
    which can gib a player with one shot, vest or not.

The game is a vehicle/mech/cyborg combat game, players spawn full loaded, allready in their class vehicles
    and only ever leave it when the vehicle is destroyed. On foot they are very vunnerable with all the
    heavy artillery flying around, if they make it back to their base trailer,

resupply_1.jpg

they can get a new vehicle, but most of the time they are reduced to a red stain on the landscape by a
    passing tank shell. For these reasons the player model side hasn't seen as much attention as the vehicles
    models, basically becuase they don't get seen anything like as much.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You could do it like G-NOME and give infantry a weapon that can eject the pilot out of other vehicles so you can capture them.
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    Cyborg dolphins FTW!!!
    Looks like fun Ian, great job!
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    I love it.
    This is one mod I can't wait to get my hands on!

Etienne