Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2D-UT character design

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
I don't know if anyone remembers me (I certainly remember a lot of you). I haven't posted much in the last 3 years, but I finally finished school (BS in econ) and got married. Now I am focusing on my art and have regular work doing freelance. One of the reasons that I haven't posted in so long is that I got so frustrated with the quality of my work that I thought I needed to take some time to improve. I remember once that I got so mad because nobody would post to my thread (good or bad comments) that I kind of went off. Bobo finally responded to a thread of mine to tell me that my work simply wasn't that good. Of course he was right. I still don't know if my work is any good, but I am pretty happy with this piece. I wanted to do a nice, detailed design so that I could make a normal map from it (mostly because I want to try out some of the normal map tools, maybe even zbrush if I can get a little more money together). I was reading Ror's thread that epic is looking for people, and while I'm stuck in Norman OK for the next couple years, I was inspired to do a UT design. Here it is. Comments welcome.

design2.jpg
Old Version

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work! The skin is a bit off and the angles of the body dont work out too well, but other all the peice is great. Id work on your skin painting one this guy but otherwise it a nice design. Good work.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    it really looks like you are seeing things in 3d.. which is remarkable. you are on the right track, i think, dont worry.. believe in yourself a little more smile.gif

and keep drawing.
    pay attention to consistancy of perspective. like a finger on the pulse, its important to expand from the last "known" thing you have drawn in perspective, dont lose yourself on a single subjec (like the far shoe).

you should first sort out the angle of ground plane. you see, untypical with the rest of the drawing the bottom of the boots is sketchy... you didnt figuer it out. nail it dude, get to the bottom of it (har har) and youll automatically get your ground plane. its off because the last "known" thing was off..

on a different angle, since its a very a-symentical design, i think its hard to tell how things would look on the other side eh?

ye but anyways good job. keep drawing and post wtf are you scared of.. virtual ego?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Not that I'm one to talk on any of this but I see some weird things going on in the anatomy and while I like parts of the design and the rendering there's a lack of 'pop' in the fella. He looks a little bored and despite the detail a little plain.
    Keep trying and feel free to knock my next character design.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work.

Just some things i dont like: hes face is calm yet hes left hand is very nervous and the way the gun is placed in hes hand looks little odd (maybe because the grip is too thin or not aligned properly).
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    just as others have said, good stuff..

One thing that strikes me is the oxygen portion on his chest, It looks as if you wanted that in the center of his chest but it's actually right 3/4 of his chest instead of being centered, if this was what you were attempting it's spot on, although the mask should of been on the side as well.

Also the left hand looks huge for some reason, and the his right foot looks as if it needs to be stretched about 1/2 inch lower..and most people aren't used to seeing someone grip a gun with all 5 fingers, he has the trigger pulled on the pic making a fist with a gun in his hand... ooo.gif Normally, your trigger finger would never be that closed into a fist, usually use your tip of your finger to pull trigger but you have yours pulled inward into his palm.
    Just remember, what they say about opinions.. smile.gif but great stuff! Looks great!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the great comments guys! I think they are all spot on. I struggled with trying to make the breastplate look centered and couldn't quite get it.
    I especially appreciate the comments about the hands. Next time, I guess.
    The good things is that while I definetly want to improve as a 2D artist, you guys seem to like the design, and most of the issues you'll have mentioned will be resolved in the 3d version automatically.
    I think I like this piece enough to rework it one more time.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks good man. Like shotgun, I can see you are really thinking in 3d, which is good for resolving a desing that will be modeled.

I'm digging your color choices as well. His outfit design is pretty interesting as well. I could see him plug into UT fairly easily.

I agree with shotgun about the perspective issues. While he seems cohesive on the other fronts, (color, design, volume) the perspective problems are what's holding him back.

Good work man. I think you were before my time, but I hope you stick around this time!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Cool beans dude!

I dont know you, I dont remember you but I'll remember this concept and watch out for the model.

The boots kick arse and theres some good 3d, as long as you remember to flesh out some of the plainer areas and maintain focus on the medium details when normal mapping this sucker it's going to be one of the better designs we'll have seen around here for a while!

You ought to aim around 6-7k for the low poly.

Oh and the face is really generic and weak, why not consider some cool goggle type strap on with needless cool doohickeys that mirror the design motif of the boots, knee pads and chest piece and so on.

I think, when it comes to design, if you can come up with one cool thing, then repeat that motif in variation on the other areas, then you have a winner everytime.

Oh and again on the face, give the guy some attitude, he's got that Generation Y teenager expression of neither high nor low.

Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out.

r.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Why do you even need people's opinion regarding your art.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    peanut: usually fresh eyes help spot what we can no longer notice ourselves after staring at our work for too long.

Others opinions, if they are solid, are the best way to progress, more quickly.

r.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    True, true Rorsh.

What i was saying is the way this was phrased: good - bad comments make me feel bad so this is sad and i'll never post my art because Bobo himself didnt reply more than 2 lines.

I mean you basicly have more drawing skill than i'll ever dream of owning, im scared because its true. The concept if pushed a little could be on a game cover, whatever that means. Good work man you certainly don't need any of my critics, a little more confidence in yourself at most.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest, that was three years ago. I was living in my parents basement, going to community college and working phone support. It wasn't a very happy time for me and I was hoping people would fawn over my crappy art so I could feel good about myself. I have done a lot of growing up since then. To answer your question Peanut, I don't have the same emotional 'need', but I still want to put together top notch work.
    I think everybody had good comments for this piece, and I think it is ready for the portfolio now. I honestly just didn't see the problems before, but the changes make it much better. Thanks eveybody!
    I didn't have a character in mind for the original picture, I was thinking 'blue team'. Now I am doing some portraits and thinking of some funny/cool character bios. I'll post 'em up later when I get a chance. I have too much work to do right now.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like a 'tard replying to my self twice in a row, but here is the story.

I was thinking about how damn hard it was going to be to model the original concept, and how long it had been since I did any low poly, So I decided to do this as a warm up. Get used to the tools etc. I saw a posting on the job boards of some guys doing an indie game, and figured I would do a version of their fairly generic main character to see if I can snag some work for next month.

rabbit1.jpg
    One spot with raytraced shadows, One spot no shadow
    2100 tris, normal mapped. No ZBrush yet. Just Max. PS and the Nvidia plugin

The seams need fixing, the back isn't finished and I still need to rig it, but I'll probably have that done no later than this weekend.

rabbit1wire.jpg

Wire

hat.jpg

I'm going to be doing some equipment also. Backpack, Feet wraps, belt, sword, etc. Aren't they ADORABLE! Anyway, comments on which on of these is best are very welcome. I'll probably do some more designs for the helmet before I decide on one.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff. those character bios are frankly more than a little unseemly, but the bunny fellow definitely merits development. something to consider, though: would a bunny soldier enclose his ears in metal? many animals can swivel their ears to locate sounds (talk about positional audio!), so this guy would be giving up significant battlefield awareness if his ears wer completely enclosed. aesthetically, you might still keep a metal backing or clip on the ears, or maybe some sort of cowling for them, but enclosing them isn't the best solution. love the paint studies, keep posting more concepts of this guy's gear smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bios, well... Everything I have read about writing says, "go with what you know". After working at Wal-Mart here in small college town Oklahoma I could tell you real stories about people I know just as unseemly as those bios.
    I've also become interested with the way the media will present awful, immoral people in a non-judgemental way.
    Having reflected on it I don't think I would want to play as one of those characters. I think they would make great opponents though. I've come to dislike the shoulder pads on the original design also, so I think I'll end up doing one final version of it with them fixed.

More Bunny Helmets!

hat2.jpg
    hat3.jpg
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff man. I like the variety of designs you're coming up with for armor and such. Nice to see someone taking their time exploring design.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Hey. Really liking the new designs of the helmet.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ninjas: i agree, there is a lot of glossing over of unseemly characters. if you indeed do intend to make those character bios unsympathetic, then you've certainly succeeded at that.

and nice work on the continuing bunny studies! the amended helmet designs are as interesting as i hoped they would be. i'm a big fan of the second group, the way the metal fans out around the ears. decorative, but functional. it's considering the little things that makes a design really shine smile.gif
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    Totally awesome work!

I dig the bunnies! Well thought out and executed!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for all the encouragement!

I have to admit, I'm starting to get just a little worn out on bunny helmets. Here is the refined version. These are the final design drawings before I model. I'm also going to make removable jackalope horns for the helmet.

hat4.jpg

Here is a spin of the rigged bunny. There are a lot of things I would fix if it weren't for the fact that this is just practice. I am actually pretty happy with the rig.

Bunny Spin (2.6 mb)

Sorry about this thread being so image intensive. when I get the chance, I'll go back and put in thumbnails for all the images.

Real work might get in the way of updating the bunny for the next few days.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    these helmets look nice, but my favorites are still the second set you posted.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started on this guy yesterday morning. I trying to see how long it would take me to do a failry simple normal mapped character using my current techniques.

renderComp.jpg