Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Balor of the Evil Eye

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
baloroftheevileye.jpg

I've been putting in half an hour here and there with this one for too long, it was time to stop.

I'm working on the hi poly vesion of him now.
There's a lot I am unhappy with about the picture, but I think i worked out the things I needed to in order to finish out the model and seeing as he is the first of a series
of 5 Fomorians I plan to do, perhaps I should have expected that the first would take a long time.

Feedback appreciated.

r.

Replies

• _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    nice, I like the color composition.

But hey, rigg him man! the character looks kinda out of place if you ask me smile.gif
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    biggest problem I see in the painting there is the stance is too rigid.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I believe the character design could be pushed more. I don't how far along you are with the model, and it might actually be easier to change in 3D, but there's an over all similarity in scale with all the armour pieces. I think it would look more dramatic with some more variation. Right now, everything seems to only go out a certain distance from his body and just stop (except for the spikes of course). There could be in and out going on in the silhouette. Hope I'm making sense.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Nice job with the painting, nice to see you taking something to a finished level again. I really like the way you handled the background, making it softer than the character. In fact, my eye keeps going back to the rock behind him.

Chracter pose looks alright, but the fact that his hand isn't curled around the handle of the mace is a little weird.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Neat. Not what I generally think of as a balor (based on D&D they're usually big demon typed guys, a bit like the balrog from Lord of the Rings. Presumably the name extends beyond Gygax's geek armies), but a nice piece of work nonetheless. I think the main thing thats making the posture look of is the fact that he's all slantylike yet standing dead straight which is a little confusing to the eye. If he had one leg forward so he didn't look like he was about to fall flat on his face things would probably look a whole lot less awkward.

The green particle portrait in the background is a nice effect.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    indeed awesome painting here, ror.
    though I agree with the others, the character, atlhough really well done, would have deserved a better pose, to fit the general ambiance and composition you got with the rest of that painting.
    cool to see some finished paintings from you though smile.gif
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    wow this is an old one, improved it a tonne, sexual colouring smile.gif
    He's still gonna FAAAALL!
  • Paolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Paolo polycounter lvl 18
    Neat! But where are the linkages for the chains that his army uses to open the lid of his evil eye? smile.gif And is Lugh in the works as well?
  • lkraan
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool.
    With all the armour that he has I would expect his hands/fingers to also be encased in metal. They seem a bit vunerable now.
    Also the white/bright color of his right biceps and 2 fingers see off to me compared to the coloring of the rest.
    hell, what do I know smile.gif

Does this green logo on the rock that is also in your avator mean anything? Or is it just kind of a sig?
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, looking killer Ror. I can see some similar choices made here that you presented with your Unreal2 modle texture work. The most telling point would be the cracks on the ground reminding me of the super monsters from the end of the game.

The only portion of this that feels truly unfinished would be the upper right hand. At the moment it's just flat, however if dropping it means I get to see your interpritations of the other Fomorii sooner, I'd say please continue smile.gif
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome, but why do I feel I have seen this before?

I am stumped, I could have sworn you made something very similar to this in the bast, but I just remember more ref, instead of all the green. Dunno, have you included this character in any other paintings?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the input folks.

Pose/Stance - Aye, you're right, his stance is stiff and awkward and his hand should be clasped around the weapon.

Design issues - A lot of problems brought up here.
    I agree its lacking that 'over and under' design stuff. Too much of it is simple
    segmentation with bass relief which is a bit weak and needs worked over more.
    It's also been pointed out to me by Malekyth that I have a habit of extruding beveled surfaces and what not,
    to the same size each case which makes for a boring look and that also needs addressed.

I think his hands could benifit from some knuckle / finger leather and metal clasps also, just to further exagerate him and perhaps take
    him a little further toward Judge Death's hands in 2000ad perhaps.

As to the whole issue of him not looking monstrous enough, that was a deliberate decision on my part.
    Unlike my weak design that stems from rushing initially and then trying to make the most of it, I chose to make the leader of the Fomorians more human.

I like the Golin King in Labyrinth, I like that stereotype of the bad guy that is way above the rest of his hoarde and as
    a result, almost alienated by them and so, much more invigorated and interested when he has a capable hero to test
    his mettle and fire his brain.

I want to make the other fomorians very hideous as a contrast to Balor to further this.

As for his eye, I always figured his helmet had a latch on the front to let the doors of the mask swing open so
    he could zap his enemies in a cyclops laser beam style.

I completly missed the similarity between the cracks in the floor and the Tosc at the end of U2!

The green logo is meant to simply be a rune power node that Balor is drawing upon before battle. I imagine that the environment in Cythraul would be dotted with many mystic power up areas such as this but the symbol itself is just a doodle.

Initially he started out in red, this may be what you remember!

r.